• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Well, I imagine you are younger than me, so you liked what you grew up with...hm

Yes but I always bought the paperbacks that had the old issues in them ‼️Those were great‼️

5 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

I can’t believe how much I like that painting on the cover of Mad 38

i have never heard of J Fred Muggs before but now I am going to look him up and see some of his other stuff‼️

He was made famous on the Today show in 1953...he might still be alive...he was in 2012...

20 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Most serious Mad collectors have not tried to get a full run...as they get older, like me, they have their favorite time period for collecting and treasuring the issues.  Mine is from #1 to #152 or so...after that the magazine seems to have relied too much on movie spoof covers to suit me.  I like the older gag covers...but i will pick up newer issues if they are only a dollar or less...but finding gag covers without movie or TV spoofs on them is tough in the later issues.  Anyone else in this almost vacant room feel like I do?  By the way, the first movie gag cover was #86-Lawrence of Arabia, followed by #94-King Kong, and then #105-Batman TV show...

When I was collecting I wanted to get from 1 - 300.  I thought that was a good stopping point and a nice round number.  If I were to choose a time to really stop collecting it would be when they started to have those yellow borders around the covers kind of like the original 7 magazines.   At that point the content was just not as funny as it used to be.

2 hours ago, Phantalien said:

When I was collecting I wanted to get from 1 - 300.  I thought that was a good stopping point and a nice round number.  If I were to choose a time to really stop collecting it would be when they started to have those yellow borders around the covers kind of like the original 7 magazines.   At that point the content was just not as funny as it used to be.

In 2010, Sergio Aragones said, "Mad is written by people who never thought 'Okay, I'm going to write for kids,' or 'I'm going to write for adults.' ... And many people say 'I used to read Mad, but Mad has changed a lot.' Excuse me—you grew up! You have new interests. ... The change doesn't come from the magazine, it comes from the people who grow or don't grow." Mad poked fun at the tendency of readers to accuse the magazine of declining in quality at various points in its history in its "Untold History of Mad Magazine", a self-referential faux history in the 400th issue which joked: "The second issue of Mad goes on sale on December 9, 1952. On December 11, the first-ever letter complaining that Mad 'just isn't as funny and original like it used to be' arrives." The magazine's then art director, Sam Viviano, suggested in 2002 that historically, Mad was at its best "whenever you first started reading it."

Mad editor John Ficarra acknowledges that changes in culture have made the task of creating fresh satire more difficult, telling an interviewer, "The editorial mission statement has always been the same: 'Everyone is lying to you, including magazines. Think for yourself. Question authority.' But it's gotten harder, as they've gotten better at lying and getting in on the joke."

-from Mad Magazine on wikipedia...

On 1/4/2018 at 10:13 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

He was made famous on the Today show in 1953...he might still be alive...he was in 2012...

I just looked up Muggs and I didn,t think it was really a monkey ?and it shows him still alive in 2014 ‼️ But can’t find any info past that

it is a really nice painting wether man or chimp? Thanks for posting

On 1/4/2018 at 6:10 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

In 2010, Sergio Aragones said, "Mad is written by people who never thought 'Okay, I'm going to write for kids,' or 'I'm going to write for adults.' ... And many people say 'I used to read Mad, but Mad has changed a lot.' Excuse me—you grew up! You have new interests. ... The change doesn't come from the magazine, it comes from the people who grow or don't grow." Mad poked fun at the tendency of readers to accuse the magazine of declining in quality at various points in its history in its "Untold History of Mad Magazine", a self-referential faux history in the 400th issue which joked: "The second issue of Mad goes on sale on December 9, 1952. On December 11, the first-ever letter complaining that Mad 'just isn't as funny and original like it used to be' arrives." The magazine's then art director, Sam Viviano, suggested in 2002 that historically, Mad was at its best "whenever you first started reading it."

Mad editor John Ficarra acknowledges that changes in culture have made the task of creating fresh satire more difficult, telling an interviewer, "The editorial mission statement has always been the same: 'Everyone is lying to you, including magazines. Think for yourself. Question authority.' But it's gotten harder, as they've gotten better at lying and getting in on the joke."

-from Mad Magazine on wikipedia...

Funny enough I started reading after issue 300.   IT was also quite hard to find any magazines after 300 when I was collecting.   In fact, those few years leading up to #300 were hard to track down at that point for some reason. 

Just a lament about collecting...

I collected Mad heavily in my early teens until Mad got licensed to Spencers and there started to be a glut of Mad merchandise that just didn't appeal to me.   Back to the topic...   I used to find magazine issues and paperbacks for $1 maybe $3 at the most and no one really collected them at that time.   I can't really find that type of a deal anymore but my collection has pretty much anything I can find in the wild these days.   I choose not to use ebay anymore because it is too easy.   At the moment the only thing I am really missing from my collection are a number of the comics, random magazines and some paperbacks from the late 80's early 90's.    Over the last 10 years used book stores have dried up in my area too :(

I enjoy getting things in the wild, I enjoy it even more if they are good deals.  

1 hour ago, Phantalien said:

Funny enough I started reading after issue 300.   IT was also quite hard to find any magazines after 300 when I was collecting.   In fact, those few years leading up to #300 were hard to track down at that point for some reason. 

Just a lament about collecting...

I collected Mad heavily in my early teens until Mad got licensed to Spencers and there started to be a glut of Mad merchandise that just didn't appeal to me.   Back to the topic...   I used to find magazine issues and paperbacks for $1 maybe $3 at the most and no one really collected them at that time.   I can't really find that type of a deal anymore but my collection has pretty much anything I can find in the wild these days.   I choose not to use ebay anymore because it is too easy.   At the moment the only thing I am really missing from my collection are a number of the comics, random magazines and some paperbacks from the late 80's early 90's.    Over the last 10 years used book stores have dried up in my area too :(

I enjoy getting things in the wild, I enjoy it even more if they are good deals.  

To me, it's all about getting what i want at a good deal...no matter where i can find it.  I like the deals I get on ebay, but I like making deals with collectors or stores more...MY LCS will sell me any issue of Mad over 250 for $1 when he has issues i want.  but yeah, it seems to be tougher to get those deals these days. 

As stated before, if you want to see my meager collection...here's the link...this is only the comics and magazines...no annuals or paperbacks...I still can't find where i put my paperbacks...and I have all the first ones from the 50s...somewhere...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48237384@N08/albums/72157656495032524

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

49 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

To me, it's all about getting what i want at a good deal...no matter where i can find it.  I like the deals I get on ebay, but I like making deals with collectors or stores more...MY LCS will sell me any issue of Mad over 250 for $1 when he has issues i want.  but yeah, it seems to be tougher to get those deals these days. 

As stated before, if you want to see my meager collection...here's the link...this is only the comics and magazines...no annuals or paperbacks...I still can't find where i put my paperbacks...and I have all the first ones from the 50s...somewhere...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48237384@N08/albums/72157656495032524

Yeah I saw your pics.   I am impressed by your early issues.

Mission accomplished.  Just added 50 issues I was missing from the 300s and 400s...for $1 each...all in 9.4-9.6... as if that matters...

Now, I need to update my missing issue list and go back to the same place and look thru more of them...the mngr of the store seems to want to clear out a lot of Mad's...only problem is that most of them have price stickers right on the issue itself.  Those are tough to remove.  The one's I bought did not have prices yet...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

13 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Mission accomplished.  Just added 50 issues I was missing from the 300s and 400s...for $1 each...all in 9.4-9.6... as if that matters...

Now, I need to update my missing issue list and go back to the same place and look thru more of them...the mngr of the store seems to want to clear out a lot of Mad's...only problem is that most of them have price stickers right on the issue itself.  Those are tough to remove.  The one's I bought did not have prices yet...

$1.00 each is such a great deal ?what was cover price for those?