• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2018 at 5:17 PM, Robot Man said:

My favorite covers range from #32-69. I love the Kelly Freas ones. Some of my favorite ones are these. So much so, I had him deface some of them!

mad59.jpg

mad64.jpg

mad69.jpg

He has a really cool and tasteful signature. Not all sigs are enhancements but these are.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:38 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Is anyone still buying the new reboot issues ⁉️⁉️🏆🎶

I have a subscription -- it's a good deal. $30 for a couple years, or something like that. Plus if you order now (this might be over, not sure) you get bonus stuff, like an Alfred E. Neuman "Geeky Tiki" tiki-mug collectible thing.

The newest issue had their "20st Dumbest Things" (or whatever it's called) for the year. The artwork and concepts are outstanding, like they were trying to really raise the bar on quality. Each page of that feature is a little masterpiece.

The previous issue, if memory serves, was the October issue and it had a really strong Halloween/monsters theme throughout the issue. They did a take on Edward Gorey's great "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" where instead of random deaths, the children were dying or otherwise embroiled in a school shooting. The approach and subject was uncharacteristically dark and edgy for Mad, but they pulled it off, in my opinion.

There's lots of other great stuff in the new Mads. I am rooting for them to keep going and carving out a modern niche for satire, which is harder now that their competition is the daily onslaught of social-media memes and other material people are bombarded with constantly. For $30 (or whatever it is), a Mad subscription makes an easy gift for a friend or relative, instead of getting them something useful or sophisticated.

And they still have Al Jaffee fold-ins! He is 97 years old. If I had my way he'd keep living and making fold-ins until he's 111 years old.

I just saw that Mad has gift subscriptions for $10 per year (you gotta get 2, for $20). Ten bucks to get somebody a gift is a pretty easy choice.

A few years ago, on a whim I bought a few Mad subscriptions for friends and family. One of the first issues arrived just after a friend of mine had to be admitted to the hospital for an emergency surgery. His wife brought the mail, including the Mad, to the hospital so he'd have something to read. Astonishingly, there were actually some funny articles in there... I hadn't sent a note or anything but my friend later figured out the subscription was from me, and told me that the gift really gave him some much-needed laughs at a time when he was otherwise miserable. So I felt pretty good about that investment.

Edited by Doohickamabob

On 2/4/2019 at 6:54 PM, Doohickamabob said:

Apparently DC just laid off a bunch of employees, including several editors. One of them is Mad's new editor, who helped launch the new LA-based version (and successfully too -- the circulation has increased substantially). So.... Mad is in limbo, I guess.

It is amazing that Mad has lasted this long‼️ It has been a great run if the end is near

17 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

It is amazing that Mad has lasted this long‼️ It has been a great run if the end is near

No indication the magazine itself is in peril, at least not for now. I read about this in Bleeding Cool News, and haven't seen a follow-up.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02/04/bill-morrison-vp-executive-editor-dc-comics-mad-magazine/

33 minutes ago, wampus13 said:

I took a picture of my CGC graded Mad Museum and sent it into Mad. They actually published in in the Feb 2019 Mad. They promised to send me a Alfred E. Newman ornament but I still haven't revived it....

20190104_111101.jpg

"What's wrong with being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person!?!" lol classic MaD, and congratulations on your passion! ^^ I hope things pick up at the museum!! :wishluck: EDIT: CGC  masks the word your one customer called you, and Mad Magazine asked you what is wrong with being it, but you get the point :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I email Mad in with my picture and they never email me back. The way I found out I was in Mad Magazine, is my coworker saw me in the hallway and said your in Mad Magazine! I immediately went to the store and bought all the issues of Mad they had and made sure to show everyone in line and the cashier I was in Mad Magazine. I emailed them asking for my promised Alfred E. Neuman ornament and asked for a tour of Mad HQs and I of course offered Mad Staff a tour of my museum and no response. PS. On the picture in Mad they photo-shopped the 2nd framed Mad, so it is the same height as all 3 of the Mads. The middle frame is comic sized and the ones on the other are magazine sized. See attached unedited picture

download (2).jpg

Edited by wampus13