• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2019 at 11:19 PM, GomerPyleUSMC said:

Here's my furshlugginer first issue of Mad. Nothing special until you open the insides...

MAD1.jpg

MAD1a.jpg

MAD1b.jpg

MAD1c.jpg

MAD1d.jpg

Off the hook cool! I did the same thing with my copy. Sadly, I started it a few years after Woody passed away so I have everybody but him.

I have another copy I found in the wild just signed by Gaines.

On 5/10/2019 at 2:10 AM, OtherEric said:

@GomerPyleUSMC That book is a thing of beauty, thank you for sharing it with us.  Did you get the signatures yourself, or did you buy it with the book already signed, or a combination?

Thanks. The Mad 1 was signed by Kurtzman  and Wood in the summer of 1978 at a convention back when the EC revival was all the rage. Years later I visited Jack Davis at his home studio on St. Simons for business and brought the book with me. For his autograph he used a watercolor or calligraphy brush that I thought was unusual at the time. The Elder and Severin autographs came from their home studios by mail. There was a saga that ensued where the book was lost for some time. After giving up hope, I was surprised to see it turn up in the mail... two years later.

Edited by GomerPyleUSMC

On 5/16/2019 at 3:41 PM, GomerPyleUSMC said:

Thanks. The Mad 1 was signed by Kurtzman  and Wood in the summer of 1978 at a convention back when the EC revival was all the rage. Years later I visited Jack Davis at his home studio on St. Simons for business and brought the book with me. For his autograph he used a watercolor or calligraphy brush that I thought was unusual at the time. The Elder and Severin autographs came from their home studios by mail. There was a saga that ensued where the book was lost for some time. After giving up hope, I was surprised to see it turn up in the mail... two years later.

I am going to be the nosy one.   What brought you to Jack Davis's studio for business?

On 5/18/2019 at 9:56 AM, Phantalien said:

I am going to be the nosy one.   What brought you to Jack Davis's studio for business?

I was working for the ad agency William Douglas McAdams at the time. We had a client who was not satisfied with the "tone" of the marketing materials and we ended up contacting Gerald & Cullen Rapp to help us out; that's where Jack came in. 

8 hours ago, GomerPyleUSMC said:

I was working for the ad agency William Douglas McAdams at the time. We had a client who was not satisfied with the "tone" of the marketing materials and we ended up contacting Gerald & Cullen Rapp to help us out; that's where Jack came in. 

The amount of art outside of Mad Jack Davis did is just immense.    I don't think anyone has even close to a comprehensive list.

8 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

This Mad thread one my favorite to read ❤️

Wasn't going to bother sharing these, but since you this was your favorite, here we go.  Both in fresh yesterday, I owned both of them when they came out but got them again to fill in my run of Kurtzman's late work on the series.  For all I know I still have my original copies somewhere in storage, but I have not a clue where they might be.  I remember actually typing in the Mad computer program on our Apple IIe back in the day:

Mad_258.jpg

Mad_268.jpg

And the last three issues of Mad Magazine with original Kurtzman material I still needed.  I still need 9 of the comic book issues, though.  The 261 is very weird... no fold-in!  Jaffee does get the back cover, though.

Mad_261.jpg

Mad_272.jpg

Mad_284.jpg