• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book started the Bronze Age of Comics????
2 2

283 posts in this topic

On 7/2/2019 at 12:58 PM, PowderedH2O said:

I was having this discussion with a fellow collector yesterday.. I googled the topic and it led me to this very old thread. With all of the debate about GS X-Men 1, there was no debate about that on a couple of other places I looked (such as wikipedia, not that wikipedia is the definitive source by any stretch). I was wondering if after all of these years, does anyone have any more thoughts on this topic?

This later thread (2009) had some well thought out ideas/opinions on the start of the BA.  

So What Are We Talking About When We Talk About The Bronze Age?

IMHO, the bronze-age started in November 1971.

That's when Marvel raised the price on their books, they also started putting the MARVEL COMICS GROUP banner across the top of the book rather than off to the side--changing the look of their comics as well.

That's how I've always sorted bronze Marvels from silver. 

Anyways, I don't think it was any one title or book that set off the bronze-age. I think it had more to do with The Comics Code Authority lightening up a bit to include modern social issues in story-lines, and also the depiction of "monsters in the classical sense." Amazing Spider-Man 101 (1st Morbius) was one of the earliest  results of the relaxed code regulations. So, if you want an actual book that started the bronze-age, then that would be my pick--even though it still looks like a silver-age Marvel :whistle: