• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Comics by Marvel
2 2

184 posts in this topic

I thought there'd be a Star Comics thread by now... well, here goes! Let's post/discuss Star Comics!

For the first raging debate - do the latter Heathcliff comics with the Marvel logo instead of the Star logo belong in a "complete" Star Comics collection? :baiting:

And a couple random scans to ensure this thread isn't worthless!

heathcliff7-f.jpg

wallythewizard4-f.jpg

Star Comics are something I *should* have focused on many years ago, when they were still in dealer backstock in high grade for a quarter. Not that there's much demand, but some of them are quite hard to find, and forget uber high grade.

Still...I pick 'em up when I can. I have no clue how many I have.

I absolutely love Star books, if for no other reason then the connection to my childhood as many were toy-related series from the mid 80s.

As for the Heathcliff question: Yes, the later "non-Star" issues are part of the Star run as far as I'm concerned. Some books didn't start out under the Star title, but became one, some were Star books, then were dropped from the line while the title continued, and some have direct & newstand editions that have them as both Star and regular (normally different printings).

Lots of cool variants in the Star line if you like hunting down stuff like that.....

I think I'm going to start scanning and sharing many of my Star books from my "duplicate" longbox.

And a funny little story to share....I actually had my longbox of Star duplicates at the Tampa show this past weekend. Mark Haspel, head grader at CGC, came over and started looking through them, even pulling out a Foofur issue. He looked at it, looked at me, and said he's never seen the title. Now, Mark has probably seen as many rare esoteric books as anyone in this hobby, and he's a child of the 80s like myself, so for him to pull Star book and claimed he's never even heard of the title, gives you an idea of how "off the radar" a lot of this stuff really is.

Star Comics are something I *should* have focused on many years ago, when they were still in dealer backstock in high grade for a quarter. Not that there's much demand, but some of them are quite hard to find, and forget uber high grade.

Still...I pick 'em up when I can. I have no clue how many I have.

I finally sat down to organize all my Star Comics acquisitions of the past few years (I'd pick them up at conventions in dollar boxes and the like). Came out to about 2.5 longboxes worth of books...I sorted through one box for my personal run, picked out a few 9.8 type candidates for submission, and put the rest in a "duplicates" longbox. Man, that was a lot of work, took a couple of weekends to get it done. :boo:

Love them myself. I was transferring many long boxes of comics to short boxes and found some gems. I hadn't looked at these books in 20 years or longer. I found Droids, Thundercats, and others. Many of them unread. I think they will make up some of my first Pre-Screen submission.

For the first raging debate - do the latter Heathcliff comics with the Marvel logo instead of the Star logo belong in a "complete" Star Comics collection? :baiting:

Yes. They still say 'Star comics presents:' on the splash.

scan0004-1.jpg

scan0009-5.jpg

the star line seems to be getting some much needed attention by collectors as of late. lots of good art and potential lawsuit of stolen characters, royal roy, some bad stuff but that was the 80s.

i wonder how things would have went if marvel did buy harvey comics at the time. i think it was a stupid move that they didnt. just to have the harvey characters for licensing alone would have made it a win for them.

it amazes me how marvel created 2 new comics lines at the same time and how great they did with one line and how bad, cant think of a word that really describes new universe, they did with the other. one of shooters rare misses. hey that kinda plays of each other, shooter, misses. wow i'm goin love this forum.

Well that will make this a pretty short-lived raging debate! :cry:

Is that confirmed for the entire run through the last issue?

Are there any titles that never had the Star logo on the cover that contain "Star Comics presents" on the splash, something along the lines of Alf or Police Academy, etc?

Well that will make this a pretty short-lived raging debate! :cry:

Is that confirmed for the entire run through the last issue?

Are there any titles that never had the Star logo on the cover that contain "Star Comics presents" on the splash, something along the lines of Alf or Police Academy, etc?

The last issue i have is 42 and it is there.

Im pretty sure police acadamy does. :baiting: check yours