• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Comics by Marvel
2 2

184 posts in this topic

Thanks for showing us these, great stuff.. I mentioned in another thread that we needed a Star Comics thread; unfortunately I dont have any to show - I used to own a few but got rid of them ages ago. :sorry: JiveTurkey, if you put up a sales thread I might have to pick up a few (thumbs u

A piece of info from comics.org, I'm assuming this is correct: "January 1988 is the last cover date for the brand; all remaining titles in the line were then transitioned to the Marvel brand."

I scanned and graded my first batch of 20 books tonight...might do another 20 tomorrow, another on Sunday, and kick off a sales thread soon thereafter. (thumbs u Stay tuned.

Thanks for showing us these, great stuff.. I mentioned in another thread that we needed a Star Comics thread; unfortunately I dont have any to show - I used to own a few but got rid of them ages ago. :sorry: JiveTurkey, if you put up a sales thread I might have to pick up a few (thumbs u

A piece of info from comics.org, I'm assuming this is correct: "January 1988 is the last cover date for the brand; all remaining titles in the line were then transitioned to the Marvel brand."

I scanned and graded my first batch of 20 books tonight...might do another 20 tomorrow, another on Sunday, and kick off a sales thread soon thereafter. (thumbs u Stay tuned.

Cool thread. I never saw a bunch of these covers. Looks like you will have a good sales thread. People are talking good stuff about Star comics in this thread. Its like the Twilight Zone...lol And yeah I have a few star comics...Get along Gang, Fraggle Rock....lol And I didnt buy them that long ago either. But I do have Marvel OCD, thats my story and I am sticking to it!. lol

Cool thread. I never saw a bunch of these covers. Looks like you will have a good sales thread. People are talking good stuff about Star comics in this thread. Its like the Twilight Zone...lol And yeah I have a few star comics...Get along Gang, Fraggle Rock....lol And I didnt buy them that long ago either. But I do have Marvel OCD, thats my story and I am sticking to it!. lol

Well, one of the things I love about the Star books is the Nostalgia of all these childhood characters. Add in the affordability that comes at a bargain price and you have a winning combination. Most of them are stupidly cheap in the Guide (the later issue Thundercats for example), so you can enjoy a piece of your childhood for, in many cases, less then $10, in most cases, just a couple of bucks.

Even if you don't know me, a glance at my sig line will probably tell you I have expensive tastes in Golden Age, but even us uber grade collectors can enjoy collecting raw 9.0s/9.2s that cost as much as a Value Menu item.

Oh, and did I mention the Thrill of the Hunt? The feeling is no different whether I've tracked down a $2,000 book I've been looking for, or a $2.00 book that's eluded me for years. And one doesn't break the bank quite like the other.... :P

Well, one of the things I love about the Star books is the Nostalgia of all these childhood characters.

Oh, and did I mention the Thrill of the Hunt?

Star comics is like my Saturday morning lineup when i was a kid. Like back in the day when i get up early to watch cartoons. So much fun to dig for at cons :cloud9:

BTW,,,,

The Rule of 25 ALWAYS holds.

:acclaim:

Carry on.

Wouldnt they have had to be popular 25 years ago for that 'rule' to have effect? :baiting:

So, we've got a thread about Star comics with 20 posts, and nobody has mentioned "Peter Porker: The Spectacular Spider-Ham".

One of my all-time favorite series.

+1. The only Star title that I bothered to complete. I was very happy when Mr. Porker began a new series in Marvel Tales.

MarvelTales201.jpg

Does anyone know what issue was his last in this title? Believe it or not, the OSPG doesn't bother to break it out. The nerve!

Well, one of the things I love about the Star books is the Nostalgia of all these childhood characters. Add in the affordability that comes at a bargain price and you have a winning combination. Most of them are stupidly cheap in the Guide (the later issue Thundercats for example), so you can enjoy a piece of your childhood for, in many cases, less then $10, in most cases, just a couple of bucks.

Even if you don't know me, a glance at my sig line will probably tell you I have expensive tastes in Golden Age, but even us uber grade collectors can enjoy collecting raw 9.0s/9.2s that cost as much as a Value Menu item.

Oh, and did I mention the Thrill of the Hunt? The feeling is no different whether I've tracked down a $2,000 book I've been looking for, or a $2.00 book that's eluded me for years. And one doesn't break the bank quite like the other.... :P

Oh you do not have to explain the thrill of the hunt to me...I know the feeling all to well. Finding that Rawhide Kid...you have never seen, A Millie or Patsy comic you needed for months and could not find. I am collecting Marvel Comics from 1/1980 thru 3/1985 (the last .60 cent issue. So i am used to buying fodder lol) So I am missing out on collecting the Star runs of comics.

How many issues are in a full star run of comics?

Oh you do not have to explain the thrill of the hunt to me...I know the feeling all to well. Finding that Rawhide Kid...you have never seen, A Millie or Patsy comic you needed for months and could not find. I am collecting Marvel Comics from 1/1980 thru 3/1985 (the last .60 cent issue. So i am used to buying fodder lol) So I am missing out on collecting the Star runs of comics.

Sounds like a job for RMA :grin:

I just picked a NM copy of Get Along Gang last week. (thumbs u

Good question, I really should put a list together.

taken from wikipedia and i added the dates from overstreet that werent listed. who knew there were 2 variant issues??? figures my 10 copies each arent the variants. gotta get 'em

Marvel Start Comic Titles

Air Raiders (1987-1988; #1-2 under Star imprint)

ALF (1987-1991) #1-50

Animax (1986-1987) #1-4

Bullwinkle and Rocky (1987-1989; #1-2 under Star imprint)

Care Bears (1985-1989; #1-14 under Star imprint)

Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos (1987) #1-4

Count Duckula (1988) #1-15

Defenders of the Earth (1987) #1-4

The Flintstone Kids (1987-1989; #1-4 under Star imprint)

Foofur (1987-1988; #1-4 under Star imprint)

Fraggle Rock (volume 1:1985-1986 under Star imprint; volume 2:1988 under Marvel)

The Get-Along Gang (1985-1986) #1-6

Heathcliff (1985-1991; #1-22 under Star imprint)

Heathcliff's Funhouse (1987-1988; #1-5 under Star imprint)

Hugga Bunch (1986-1987) #1-6

Inhumanoids (1987) #1-4

Madballs (1986-1988; #1-8 under Star imprint)

Masters of the Universe (1986-1988) #1-6 under Star imprint

Masters of the Universe: The Motion Picture (1987)

Misty (six-issue limited series 1985-1986)

Muppet Babies (1985-1989; #1-17 under Star imprint)

The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984-1985) #1-3

Peter Porker, The Spectacular Spider-Ham (1985-1987) #1-17

Planet Terry (1985-1986) #1-12

Planet Terry (1985) #1 Variant "Star Chase" game last panel inside back cover

Popples (1986-1987) #1-4

Royal Roy (1985-1986) #1-6

Silverhawks (1987-1988; #1-5 under Star imprint)

Star Comics Digest a.k.a. Star Comics Magazine (1986-1988)

Star Wars: Droids (1986-1987) #1-8

Star Wars: Ewoks (1985-1987) #1-14

Strawberry Shortcake (1985-1986) #1-6

ThunderCats (1985-1988; #1-24 under Star imprint)

Top Dog (1985-1987) #1-14

Visionaries (1987; #1-2 under Star imprint)

Wally the Wizard (1985-1986) #1-12

Wally the Wizard (1985-1986) #1 Variant "Star Chase" game last panel inside back cover