• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best issue of your favourite titles and why?

82 posts in this topic

Post your favourite issue (or issues) of a golden age/atomic age title and tell us why! It might be the cover, the artwork , a classic story or sheer nostalgia because your father had it when you were a kid!

I'll kick us off with a few of mine:

PlanetComics2865NicolasCage.jpg

All due respect to the rivet run (which I love), Planet #28 is my favourite sci fi cover. In addition, their is a great Space Rangers story called "Slavers of the Red Star" featuring the disc men, who have transferred their human heads to discs attached to robot bodies. They get captured, but fortunately the queen of the disc men falls (human) head over (metal) heels for one of them and sets our plucky soft tissue heroes free. Truly bizarre - talk about losing your head... :screwy:

Post your favourite issue (or issues) of a golden age/atomic age title and tell us why! It might be the cover, the artwork , a classic story or sheer nostalgia because your father had it when you were a kid!

I'll kick us off with a few of mine:

PlanetComics2865NicolasCage.jpg

All due respect to the rivet run (which I love), Planet #28 is my favourite sci fi cover. In addition, their is a great Space Rangers story called "Slavers of the Red Star" featuring the disc men, who have transferred their human heads to discs attached to robot bodies. They get captured, but fortunately the queen of the disc men falls (human) head over (metal) heels for one of them and sets our plucky soft tissue heroes free. Truly bizarre - talk about losing your head... :screwy:

A copy of this arrived 2 weeks ago from a board member. Not only a great cover but the stories are psychotropic. Gale Allen and her Girl Squadron in mini-skirts and zero gravity are a thing to behold.

Believe it or not, Detective Comics #33 isn't the first book that comes to mind. :o

Might be a close second if I had to pick an issue of Detective Comics; but for now I'll talk about Batman #1.

Borrowed the pic of the 9.0 that sold on CL...

RAD86F8A200493_01448.jpg

To this day, it amazes me that so much greatness could be packed into an issue that by default, was to become historic anyway.

Being a "#1" is enough to make a GA book "key" often times, when that series is Batman it makes things bigger, but there was so much more.

To have the 1st two appearences of The Joker, the 1st appearence of the Catwoman, an early Robin appearence, the first reprinting of Batman's origin, and the final Pre-Robin Tec story with Hugo Strange is beyond amazing.

This issue simply has it all.

Classic cover, some of the best GA stories of all-time, and historical importance beyond just the "#1" factor.

Batman #1 is the best issue of one of my favorite titles...no doubt about it.

I'll get to Tec #33 later. (thumbs u

Incredible artwork!

I've added at least two books to my wantlist thanks to this thread.

If it's not reprinted in a masterwork or an archive or the like, this is the only way we can get to know what's behind the covers. :cloud9:

:thumbsup:

Journey into Fear #6 has a great vampire story, "Partners in blood". What is unusual for a comic by Superior is that the color strike is so very deep.

jif6.jpg

I checked my copy and mine also has great color strike. Here are a few more pages I posted waaaay back in '05 (I can't believe it's been this long) from that story.

958626-JourneyintoFear6Story1s.jpg

958626-JourneyintoFear6Story1Page2s.jpg

Any idea who the artist is?