• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best issue of your favourite titles and why?

82 posts in this topic

Journey into Fear #6 has a great vampire story, "Partners in blood". What is unusual for a comic by Superior is that the color strike is so very deep.

jif6.jpg

I checked my copy and mine also has great color strike. Here are a few more pages I posted waaaay back in '05 (I can't believe it's been this long) from that story.

958626-JourneyintoFear6Story1s.jpg

958626-JourneyintoFear6Story1Page2s.jpg

Any idea who the artist is?

I wish I did! Seems to stand out from the Superior crowd a little! I wonder if Jack Kamen had a hand in the inks?

This one is a no-brainer for me.

One of my favourite stories as a kid (in an Australian reprint) but still one of the great funny animal stories, and one of Barks' finest.

four_color_223_dd_lost_andes_mgc_01.jpg

Another favourite issue is Jann of the Jungle #17, featuring first rate Al Williamson artwork - effortless use of layout and spot blacks to make each page sing!

jannofthejungle1780.jpg

Here is a double page spread to illustrate what I mean - Al is not just drawing the panels he is designing the pages:

P1010077.jpg

Note the panel where Jann is breathing underwater. Evidently this relates to the cover of #16:

JannoftheJungle1675.jpg

This is a really good idea for a thread!

I'm not much of a GA collector since I already pump most of my disposeable income into my SA collection, but I love GA books and I occasionally get so enamored with a cover that I have to own it.

I fell in love with this one and spent quite a bit of time looking for a copy with a decent color strike. There's quite a bit of variation in the background purple from issue to issue. I'll probably continue to look for a better strike!

Anyway, it's got a classic graveyard image with a full moon and leafless tree in the background, and of course the lovely lady in the foreground. The dead rising from ground strike me a particularly terrifying because they have such blank expressions. Chilling!

BlackCat37.jpg

This is a really good idea for a thread!

I'm not much of a GA collector since I already pump most of my disposeable income into my SA collection, but I love GA books and I occasionally get so enamored with a cover that I have to own it.

I fell in love with this one and spent quite a bit of time looking for a copy with a decent color strike. There's quite a bit of variation in the background purple from issue to issue. I'll probably continue to look for a better strike!

Anyway, it's got a classic graveyard image with a full moon and leafless tree in the background, and of course the lovely lady in the foreground. The dead rising from ground strike me a particularly terrifying because they have such blank expressions. Chilling!

BlackCat37.jpg

That is a great cover! Never noticed it before. (thumbs u

Shock9Fcgc.jpg

Carrion Death is one of my favourite stories, feat. on the cover and adapted well by HBO on TFTC. Came the Dawn was also a good one from here... with some grizzly acid in the face scenes, eye injuries and generally great art!

Great choice. Shock Suspenstories #9 is one of my very favorite ECs as well...just a gem from cover to cover. You also get "The October Game", one of the best Ray Bradbury horror adaptations, with very nice moody Jack Kamen art.

How long did you look at the Serpent Queen splash page before you noticed that the snake only had one eye? Took me about thirty seconds... :acclaim:

Some wonderful artwork in these threads - thanks to all who have posted!

How long did you look at the Serpent Queen splash page before you noticed that the snake only had one eye? Took me about thirty seconds... :acclaim:

I stared at that page for about 60 seconds and didn't even notice there was a snake until you mentioned it. :acclaim:

Thanks for posting the stories. They were fun to read.

I am glad some one else has another suggestion. I checked out Forgione's work on several splashes on AtlasTales this morning and was unconvinced this was his work. It's still possibly him if he had a different inker in this Fawcett work than he had at Atlas. Forgione's work at Atlas comes in after the Atlas period I am most familiar with so I have seen relatively little of his work to make an authoritative statement.

Regarless, that's an easy splash on the eye :D

A one- eyed snake? What could they possibly be getting at?

Wertham did one more flip in his grave.

The short-lived Fawcett Title, Strange Stories from Another World #2-5 began life as Unknown World #1.

UnknownWorld165.jpg

All have great covers by Norm Saunders, but for me what makes this issue stand out from the rest is this splash page:

uw1.jpg

That's classic, want to see my one eyed snake?

My favorite Planet Comics is #35. One reason is that it has Hunt Bowman and Lyssa (Main characters in Lost World story line) on the cover fighting the Volta men, my favorite story line in the run. # 1A reason for this issue being my favorite read is that it is the first story of Mysta of the Moon, my second favorite story line in the series. Mysta's first story(origin) was actually within the Mars god of War story line and from this issue on she had her own stories. Below is a picture of my copy and a picture of the splash where she is first pictured. Just in case you might need help identifying her in the splash, which I seriously doubt, she is the blonde in the red space outfit. Also, the other stories in this issue are great too.

planet351-1.jpg

img018-1.jpg