• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

Alright guys, a trivia question for you Marvel Zombies:

- What 90s Marvel series spanned 12 issues, featured original (i.e, non-reprint) content, and is not even listed in the Overstreet Guide?

Marvel Stock Report? lol

:boo:

:acclaim:

Mort the Dead Teenager?

Nope, that drekky title went only four issues and it is noted in the Overstreet Guide.

And as a fan of 90s Marvel drek, I'm proud to say I have the full four issue run.

Any other guesses?

Kid 'N Play?

Mort the Dead Teenager?

Nope, that drekky title went only four issues and it is noted in the Overstreet Guide.

And as a fan of 90s Marvel drek, I'm proud to say I have the full four issue run.

Any other guesses?

Little Mermaid?

4 issues. In the Guide.

Mort the Dead Teenager?

Any other guesses?

Pirates of Dark Water

9 issues. In the Guide.

Mort the Dead Teenager?

Any other guesses?

Kid 'N Play?

Good guess...nine issues though, but not in the Guide. In fact, I've never seen any of the later ones.

Mort the Dead Teenager?

Any other guesses?

Little Mermaid?

4 issues. In the Guide.

The 4-issue series that is included in Overstreet is published by Disney Comics.

The 12-issue Marvel series I'm talking about is this one. And it's not in the guide. :sumo:

OK, I think I found another one! WCW: World Championship Wrestling.

We have a weiner! :applause:

Also, all 12 issues sported Photo covers....most of which are very dark, and a beyatch in high grade.

But I'm happy to win, anyway! :acclaim:

Mort the Dead Teenager?

Any other guesses?

Little Mermaid?

4 issues. In the Guide.

The 4-issue series that is included in Overstreet is published by Disney Comics.

The 12-issue Marvel series I'm talking about is this one. And it's not in the guide. :sumo:

Also, all 12 issues sported Photo covers....most of which are very dark, and a beyatch in high grade.

I'm actually ashamed to admit I have a few of those Mermaids, from the 2nd series. I think they had Aladdin and Lion King books too...need to see if those are also in the Guide. Marvel put out a lot of Disney spin-offs in the mid 90s, many of which are really tough to track down as the it was right in the middle of "the Crash" and many LCS' were really cutting back on ordering that sort of stuff.

Mort the Dead Teenager?

Any other guesses?

Kid 'N Play?

Good guess...nine issues though, but not in the Guide. In fact, I've never seen any of the later ones.

I have #1, 5, 7, and 8

Mort the Dead Teenager?

Any other guesses?

Little Mermaid?

4 issues. In the Guide.

I'm actually ashamed to admit I have a few of those Mermaids, from the 2nd series. I think they had Aladdin and Lion King books too...need to see if those are also in the Guide. Marvel put out a lot of Disney spin-offs in the mid 90s, many of which are really tough to track down as the it was right in the middle of "the Crash" and many LCS' were really cutting back on ordering that sort of stuff.

And Don't forget Beauty and the Beast, and at least a Snow White Oneshot. Sadly I collected those series too doh!

Ok, folks, let's lay a few ground rules, then. ;)

Just about no Marvel book is "one of the hardest to find 90's books"...not even the super tough Camelots. I'm talking about absolute rarity, not "there are 100,000 Marvel collectors looking for 10,000 available copies" rarity.

That's not rare. Just about any Marvel published in the 1990's can be had EASILY, if you throw enough money at it.

Think of books that are actually, physically difficult to find, no matter the price....and setting grade aside.

The Maxx Blacks are a good example of that. Limited to 50 originally, and many unaccounted for.

Here's another good example:

Danger Girl #2, Ruby Red Smoking Gun. 400 made, a total of 9 have showed up for sale graded in ANY grade in the last 8 years, and probably a handful more raw.

Orrrrrr....

Cry For Dawn #3 HorrorCon edition. Yeah, sure, it's a photocopy cover, but it was limited to 300-400, and is very, very difficult to find.

Orrrrrrr.....

Vengeance of Vampirella #1 Royal Blue. Limited to 100 copies, and only available through Comic Cavalcade. There have been a grand total of FOUR copies on eBay since 2000 (and I STILL kick myself for missing that one in May.)

Orrrrrrrr.....

Venom #1 White. One of the few Marvel books to appear here, mainly because there's only 1 currently known. A result of the gold foil variant not adhering to the cover, much the same as the Black.

Orrrrrrrr...

The Chaos Comics Black Onyx editions.

Orrrrrr....

The fabled "White" variant of Vengeance of Vampirella #1, probably due to foil adhesion issues mentioned above for Venom.