• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

The question is, who the heck cares about this stuff?

Me.

Hence, the thread.

(thumbs u

The key is which ones now, 10-20 years later, does anyone care about enough to determine whether they're hard to find! Heck, I made a comic in about 1983, it is impossible to find as I chucked the only copy 3 months later! Perhaps someone fished it out of the trash and bagged and boarded it....

That's kind of the sad thing about the internet (not so sad, of course). This sort of alternative stuff is still being published, on someone's website, and I wonder if it makes it out to a small batch print most of the time so that in 20 years someone can treasure it as it turns out it was so and so's prototype issue for what turned out to be 2032's version of Maus or Zippy or Mr. Natural.

I have been told that Lenore by Roman Dirge was originally self published on cheap newsprint. I don't know how reliable the source was though. Of course Dead@17 started as a self published comic of only a couple thousand copies.

that's what I'm talking about/want to hear about! that's more fun than some 9 copy Valiant Titanium version of Solar 36.

Anybody know the first print runs of Hate and Eightball, especially the early issues, say the first five to ten?

I really have no idea. 2000? 5000? 10,000+?

It took me a few years to complete sets of both in first printings, and Eightball took alot longer than Hate. I had to settle for VF range copies for the first eight or nine issues of Eightball in first print.

I'm guessing maybe first prints of Schizo, Black Hole, Dork and Angry Youth Comix could also be tough to find. (Not impossible, just tough.)

The self published Angry Youth Comix are absolutely impossible to find and I believe were limited to just a couple hundred copies. They were reprinted in PortaJohnny. The Fantagraphics published Angry Youth Comix are actually volume two. There were 11 issues in volume one. I can't find any mention of them or any of Johnny Ryan's other self published stuff for sale anywhere ever, except his website. Once the stuff is gone it's impossible to find.

http://www.johnnyr.com/shop/shop_comix.html

yup, you have to sludge through a lot of the fantagraph reprints to find nothing. i think #11 was late enough that there are some of them out there judging by him at one point having extra copies to sell on his site.

I have been told that Lenore by Roman Dirge was originally self published on cheap newsprint. I don't know how reliable the source was though. Of course Dead@17 started as a self published comic of only a couple thousand copies.

I actually loved the Dead@17 First series and have a complete 9.8 run, including the Portland,ME comic con exclusive #1.Great book,and I think #1 has a print run of 1500-2000

Edited by oakman29

I actually loved the Dead@17 First series and have a complete 9.8 run, including the Portland,ME comic con exclusive #1.Great book,and I think #1 has a print run of 1500-2000

The Viper one? There was one before that. In the first trade a couple pages are reprinted. It was all hand drawn and not digital art. It went in an entirely different direction and the Viper #1 was somewhat of a relaunch. It was black & white too. Edited by dupont2005

The Viper one? There was one before that. In the first trade a couple pages are reprinted. It was all hand drawn and not digital art. It went in an entirely different direction and the Viper #1 was somewhat of a relaunch. It was black & white too.

Yeah the Viper comics,never heard of any previous work.

It's not reprinted in it's entirety, and what pages are reprinted are mostly really tiny, taking up a fraction of the page in an undersized manga volume type TPB. These were the only full sized pages in there.

Sorry for the huge pics, I used Tinypic and can't find a thumbnail option. I didn't want to shrink them and make them unreadable so I'll just post links.

http://i34.tinypic.com/dfgmkh.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/2vw8qib.jpg

He says it was published in 1999, printed at his local Kinko's :)

Marvel put out a lot of Disney spin-offs in the mid 90s, many of which are really tough to track down as the it was right in the middle of "the Crash" and many LCS' were really cutting back on ordering that sort of stuff.

------------

the irony is that is the sort of thing a shop can leave up on the rack at cover price and eventually someone will coming in with, or looking for something for, their kid and it will sell, whereas the 3 month old mainstream marvel had to go to the discount box.

my LCS tosses so much stuff into the discount box, but not the kids stuff, not the archies, not the sonics, not the simpsons, etc.

Another irony here is they sell pretty good on Ebay while the other Marvel/Image dreck from that era can`t be given away. ;)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

that's what I'm talking about/want to hear about! that's more fun than some 9 copy Valiant Titanium version of Solar 36.

:pullhair:(tsk)

:grin:

I'm sorry, have you spent the last 15 years looking for Solar 36 Titanium? I have 4 of the 9 copies in the world and they are gorgeous. :grin:

So, would these hand outs by Pizza Hut fit the bill in any way? (shrug)

I still have my copies from the Pizza Hut VHS X-Men set.

:gossip: I still have the VHS tapes too.

Mini-posters intact still?

I'll check tomorrow.