• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got Heshka?
6 6

315 posts in this topic

Are these on wood panel?

I chose illustration board based on a personal preference for selecting just the right frame and matte combination to make the original art stand out. Wood panels are ready to hang, but more difficult to frame.

I'm sure that Ryan's wood panel recreations and original concept pieces are fabulous, but illustration board paintings have nice weight and texture as well (Ryan uses oils, then adds several layers of varnish to the finished work).

I like hanging framed art for home display. The medium and artist's palette determine selection of frame & matte choice.

Here are several examples of other artist's work my wife and I have acquired either as unframed or in need of reframing...

Keith Birdsong orig. (acrylic; mixed media, after framing)...

Chose dark hardwood frame, sandstone brown double matte under non-glare plexiglass):

c5499bac-923b-443a-99ae-ccfd7675fa09_zps4qwlrlbn.jpg

Hannes Bok orig. (mixed media, after framing)...

Chose dark brown metallic-rust frame with eggshell matte:

969d524b-c795-4cb6-9e5b-22224bc80c01_zpsr2mq83jx.jpg

Donato Giancola orig. at SDCC pre-varnish (oil, unframed)...

7e9b96b8-1-1.jpg

After framing (selected a silver and rust frame and thin red matte with gold crackle) ...

Donato-Cap-2.jpg

Donato dropped by to visit while in the Metroplex for an appearance as AGOH at a local convention.

Note: I've placed these in spoilers so as to not detract from the appreciation of Ryan's amazing GA recreations that are specific to this thread.

We can always create more threads focusing on collected art if desired. (thumbs u

Depending upon how long it takes for framing I may bring one or both to the OAFcon for wall display. I suspect they'll be great conversation pieces. hm

I think that is a great idea. I suspect they will look great on my wall after I swipe them from you. :idea:

OK, here's the original Space Patrol cover art submitted to Centaur by ...Basil Wolverton!

2a3e1aae-590e-4064-8615-4f49951d1918_zps038382fa.jpg

Unfortunately, Wolverton lived in California while his publisher was in NYC. Apparently Centaur's editors preferred in house cover submissions because it made it easier getting revisions on tight deadlines, so none of Basil's covers were accepted. Since he submitted finished pieces rather than pencil layouts it's that much more of a tragic loss for fans of Wolverton's unique style of art.

We can only imagine what Basil's color covers might've looked like if Centaur had been more open to publishing his unsolicited cover work, then again... :D

9e93fab6-2e25-4843-898f-6485c4739cf1_zpsogfudeow.jpg

Stunning....truly an Amazing recreation of mystery that don't look like no funnies I have seen. Well done sir!! jb

Been out of the loop for several days with a cold and back to teaching as well.

Thanks everyone for the continued kind words about these commissions. These were truly collaborative in nature, and the result of two geeks wanting to imagine what could have been had the Centaur editor's had the common sense to publish these masterpieces!! :screwy:

Incredible work :applause:

What an amazing talent.

I always look at Ryan's site and have considered a commission numerous times over the past few years.

Better get in line. My turn has finally come for another one!

Behold my new Heshka!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Red%20Raven_zpssqfwwuq3_1.jpg

:headbang: Awesome!

Nice. I've got a couple in the queue

I've got a feelin' I'd better cue up again before you run the table. lol