• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the ten best comics in your collection right now?

110 posts in this topic

When the photojournal first reached us in this benighted land of the picts and the tory party it probably had even more impact than it did on collectors in the land of the free because we rarely got to see any golden age books at all. Comics only began to be imported to the UK in 1959 when, aged 7, I read my first Adam Strange adventure in a coverless copy of Mystery in Space #57. There was no history and I could never figure out where the previous 133 issues of Superman had vanished to!

Back in '92 as I skimmed through the pages of the photojournal, it occurred to me to establish a "top 100" covers and see how many of them I could collect. I also decided to rank them.

Harley Yee started bringing his tables to London marts. I "discovered" mail order with Jim Payette and Worlds Finest, and even made a few opportune visits to Metropolis. Then Ebay.

I eventually managed to find copies of most of the books on that original list, and of course made many other discoveries along the way, as we all do. But because of ties and commitments which I wont belabour here, I decided it was time to sell about 5 years ago - though I did manage to hold onto some of the ones I was most fond of.

And now I have a new "top 100", alas only half complete - and barely recognizable from that first list I made.

So by now I have a pretty consistent and unwavering idea which ten books I like most in my collection. I dont know if the idea will grab anyone else, but here are my (currently owned ) top 10 in reverse order. If anyone else would like to post their top 10 I'd be fascinated to see them!

So here goes:

10. CinderellaLove2555.jpg

9. TheThing1265.jpg

8. ScoopComics370.jpg

7. DarkMysteries1985.jpg

6. ManFromPlanetX50.jpg

5. Venus1975.jpg

4. FightAgainstCrime2045.jpg

3. DaredevilComics1165.jpg

2. Super-MysteryComicsV63CGC80Ohiopedi.jpg

1. CimeDoesNotPay2455.jpg

The ten books I stare at the longest...(in no particular order)...

singleseries20.jpg

silverstreak6.jpg

great3fc.jpg

marvel1.jpg

detective31cgc.jpg

mystic1.jpg

mm4.jpg

captainmarvel17.jpg

redraven1.jpg

airfighters2.jpg

Honorable mention...

rifleman10.jpg

The ten books I stare at the longest...(in no particular order)...

detective31cgc.jpg

mm4.jpg

I'll take them both...send me your addy for me to put a chck in the mail (thumbs u

Many have come and gone, but here's the top ten core books. As you can see, its a bit Centaur heavy. Also cheated with one lone pulp... I think I need to do a pulp top ten!

Some really great books in this thread guys! :applause:

toptengroup.jpg

Many have come and gone, but here's the top ten core books. As you can see, its a bit Centaur heavy. Also cheated with one lone pulp... I think I need to do a pulp top ten!

toptengroup.jpg

Posts like this make it easy to understand the appeal of those Centaurs. Every one is a beauty.

Wish I had larger scans of all the books, but here's my #1 pick...

KDF20churchmedres-1.jpg

I love this cover! Gator had one at HeroesCon a couple of years ago that I almost bought, and still regret not grabbing...

OK, now this is kind of hard. "Best" could mean a lot of different things...high grade, most valuable, favorite, etc.

Anyway, my list is a combination of all of the above (except high grade... I don't have that kind of stuff in my collection).

#1 for me is Cap #1. If I could only keep one book in my collection, this would be it.

xcap1.jpg

#2 is All Star #3. A group of superheroes? What a brilliant idea!

xallstar3a.jpg

#3 I know, I know, many of you are gathering your pitchforks and torches, but what the heck. I'm glad to have it back from my recent burglary.

xdetective38.jpg

#4 for me is More Fun #54. I put #52 down a little later. I just think this cover is one of the best.

xmorefun54.jpg

#5 I'm not that big a DC collector, so I better toss Timely a bone. I could have put MMC #4 in here, but I don't have mine scanned and Mr. Bedrock has put me to shame on that one.

subby1.jpg

#6 Another of my "lost children" recently returned home.

xflash1.jpg

#7 I love Hitler covers. I could have done a Top 10 of just those.

youngallies1.jpg

#8 Who doesn't love a blonde Superman. I just think it is so cool that Supes was so new that the colorist wasn't even sure what color his hair was and said "I guess I'll go with blonde."

xfair39.jpg

#9 Guess I'll put MF #52 in here. Sorry, it's a lousy copy of this historic book, but it's what I got.

xmorefun52.jpg

#10 And just to get away from the big two publishers, here is my favorite Hitler cover.

reallife3.jpg

toptengroup.jpg

Posts like this make it easy to understand the appeal of those Centaurs. Every one is a beauty.

Awesome stuff! The 10 best pulp covers would be something to see! How about it?

Hard acts to follow. Walclark's Top 10 is nothing but KEYS!!

I do not collect Golden Age per se so my top 10 favorites is different. In no particular orders, with 2 alternates at the end -

102947.jpg

102948.jpg

102949.jpg

102950.jpg

102951.jpg

102952.jpg

102954.jpg

102956.jpg

102957.jpg

First and Second alternates -

102955.jpg

102958.jpg