• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the ten best comics in your collection right now?

110 posts in this topic

Top Ten for today but I might feel differently tomorrow or umm....I guess I can't pick just 10. I think the Silver Streak scan belongs to someone else. Couldn't find my scan.

4046976139_5c4b5e3075.jpg

Found my scan but only the small size would work. (shrug)

When the photojournal

So by now I have a pretty consistent and unwavering idea which ten books I like most in my collection. I dont know if the idea will grab anyone else, but here are my (currently owned ) top 10 in reverse order. If anyone else would like to post their top 10 I'd be fascinated to see them!

Great idea for a thread. I love the Cinderella Love.

I remember the dark days....trying to find old copies of Overstreet so I could see if other issues of my favorite titles were pictured....then the Photojournal books came out and pretty much blew my world. You kids and your fancy interweb - everything at your fingertips.

Well, I never have been sure which came first (the cover dates are inconclusive), but there are more than a few pulps cover paintings that look like comics covers...

That's acutally an interesting question. I always assumed the pulps came first, then the comics. Several of the Planets look familar, but don't have any Planet Comics. Did find a couple Wings that match.

Wingsv11n04194849-Winter-1.jpg

This one has a cvr date of May 1948.

Wings93.jpg

Wingsv11n021948-Summer-1.jpg

This one has a March 1948 date, so it appears to have been on the stands a little earlier than the pulp. Maybe same time - not sure when Summer periodicals hit the newstand.

Wings91.jpg

The pulp covers are definitely more detailed and finished. Interesting that the cover image is reversed in both cases.

BTW, a cool group of covers, esp. the Colossus of Chaos Planet Stories cvr! :applause:

PlanetStoriesv02n031943-Spring.jpg

PlanetComics621949-09.jpg

This is the only one I have to provide a comparison for, but, again, the image is mirrored, almost as if the comic cover provided the layout, transferred, for the painting... Except, in this case, the painting was 6 years earlier...

This more how I assumed the pulp/comic cover connection was - that the pulp cvr was done a few yrs before the comic cvr, so the comic cvr was a copy of the pulp.

For this Planet, that appears be the case (I used to have #62 too, but it was unfortunately sold for more comic funds). But the Wings are on stands at about the same time!

Thanks for posting the pulps - the covers just pop!

You are most welcome! I am only 20 issues shy of completing my Planet Stories collection in VG or better, so hopefully I can host a comprehensive thread someday soon :D

I have to say, to anyone interested, the Planet Stories run is consistently great, covers, stories, and interior illustrations all ROCK! I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to get into pulps.

You are most welcome! I am only 20 issues shy of completing my Planet Stories collection in VG or better, so hopefully I can host a comprehensive thread someday soon :D

I have to say, to anyone interested, the Planet Stories run is consistently great, covers, stories, and interior illustrations all ROCK! I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to get into pulps.

Now those I wold love to see, 20 shy or not!

I remember the dark days....trying to find old copies of Overstreet so I could see if other issues of my favorite titles were pictured....then the Photojournal books came out and pretty much blew my world. You kids and your fancy interweb - everything at your fingertips.

Youi're right. It's amazing to see all these great books. Thanks for sharing, all!

But this board needs vitamins - only 15 people have posted their top tens. And somehow the pulps have crept in. More comics!

Just some awesome books posted. I tried to pick 10 and I just couldn't so I went with 15. No particular order and a wide variety. A lot of low grade goodness.

"Low grade"? :o

You insult this comic by calling it low grade.

Great stuff!

103012.jpg.976706eb85b4a316776b68b459b38196.jpg

In no particular order.......

SSS4.2.jpg

Great stuff!

I'm curious why you chose this one? I think it's one of the pre-code classics, but many people wouldn't pick it.

Also, what's the grade on this beauty?

Thanks!

In no particular order.......

SSS4.2.jpg

Great stuff!

I'm curious why you chose this one? I think it's one of the pre-code classics, but many people wouldn't pick it.

Also, what's the grade on this beauty?

Thanks!

Thank you too. It is one of my favorite books, and has been ever since I saw it in OPG 10 back in the day. I was only 13 at the time, but it made an impression.

It is a George Evans book, which also scores big with me. This one came to auction a few years ago in one of Bill Hughes' auctions and I knew that it would be/had to be mine. This is a CGC 9.4 OW/W and is one of the Crowley copies. I contacted Bill before the auction and he told me that he owned both of the 9.4's, which were both Crowley's. He told me that the other 9.4 was really a 9.2 in a 9.4 slab, in his opinion. I have seen the other copy and agree that it is not as sharp as this one. You and I would be in the minority as I consider it a pre-code classic as well. It is one of my pride and joy books and I feel very fortunate to be its caretaker for the time being. I truly love it.

Scott