• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Bronze Age what do you do?
3 3

248 posts in this topic

I think it's funny everyone is basically talking about Marvels, but nobody mentioned DCs?

Want BA that will hold its value? Go for Neal Adams Batman books. Clear winners still.

(shrug)

Edited by slabthistoo

I think it's funny everyone is basically talking about Marvels, but nobody mentioned DCs?

Want BA that will hold its value? Go for Neal Adams Batman books. Clear winners still.

That's like Batman 200-255, isn't it? Is that his whole run?

i think FK meant his detective run too.

Any Adams Batman cover.

Tec 395-411 (roughly) some great Adams covers afterwords.

Bats 227 (cover only) 243-245, 251, 255

These are the notable covers, but those are the major ones I think of.

Any Adams Batman cover.

Tec 395-411 (roughly) some great Adams covers afterwords.

Bats 227 (cover only) 243-245, 251, 255

These are the notable covers, but those are the major ones I think of.

Completely agree. If you can find a Tec 395, 397, 402, 404 or 411 in 9.6 for under a $1000, go for those. Batman 235, 243 as well. I would put HOM 179 on the list as well but you can't get a 9.4 for under $1000 if you can even find a 9.4 to begin with.

I'll buy 2 copies Marvel Spotlight #5's CGC 9.2's at $500 a piece (the going rate now unless you got fried buying before)

or

for DC- I'll buy 1 GL76 cgc 8.5 (next guide $2800 in 9.2 to ride the hype)

Edited by SAGAT

So if even I could buy the best graded Hulk 181 I could get for $1000, the holy grail of the bronze age, it still wouldn`t go up much in 5 years, so really these bronze age comic books are maybe mediocre investments at best and your better off buying stocks/bonds or gold/silver metal with the thousand. Very interesting indeed. ;)

it's buying it in a slab that's the problem. you're not likely going to get an undergraded book that way or a steal of a buy. unless maybe you have a book that has a big non-color breaking crease that knocks it down by a chunk and you get it pressed out.

but you CAN (potentially) with some luck buy a raw hulk 181 that has been graded on the tight by some dealer or collector as a 6.0 - 7.0, even paying overstreet or thereabouts, that comes back as an 8.0-9.0. you've made a nice profit in the short and long-term that way. does it happen often? no. is it more likely to happen ona cheaper book? yes. seriously, how many times have you bought, even on line, a stack of VFs and you get them back and they're way better than VFs? sure, way less often than the stack of VFs being Fines or VG/Fines, but it does happen, on occasion!

or, and i wonder if there's any dealer left who might do this still, get a primo book raw graded at the 9.2 OPG price by a dealer who doesn't feel like they can charge more than overstreet and the book is, in fact, a 9.4 - 9.8. for example, my main shops will never charge more than the OPG 9.2 price for a book, even if it is beyond perfect. true, if it's a book like hulk 181 they'll send it in to get slabbed, but if it's a book that's $150 in OPG 9.2 (but might sell for many multiples of that in 9.4-9.8) they would not. so that pretty sums up most of those neal adams batmans out there. true, they rarely get vintage stuff that's above 9.2, but I figure given they do get 9.0-9.2 stuff with regularity, some 9.4-9.8 must come in on occasion.

or, and i wonder if there's any dealer left who might do this still, get a primo book raw graded at the 9.2 OPG price by a dealer who doesn't feel like they can charge more than overstreet and the book is, in fact, a 9.4 - 9.8. for example, my main shops will never charge more than the OPG 9.2 price for a book, even if it is beyond perfect. true, if it's a book like hulk 181 they'll send it in to get slabbed, but if it's a book that's $150 in OPG 9.2 (but might sell for many multiples of that in 9.4-9.8) they would not. so that pretty sums up most of those neal adams batmans out there. true, they rarely get vintage stuff that's above 9.2, but I figure given they do get 9.0-9.2 stuff with regularity, some 9.4-9.8 must come in on occasion.

There are several of these in Ohio. My highest grossing sale of all time was for a book I paid my LCS $40 for.

There are several of these in Ohio. My highest grossing sale of all time was for a book I paid my LCS $40 for.

and what book was that? hm

The Cap 110 that sold for $3009 in Sept/Oct of 2009. :cloud9:

(worship):golfclap:

I hate you and your beautiful Steranko.

I thought about keeping it. It literally looked like it had been printed the week before. But the Boston had gone for $3500 or $3700 just months earlier and I couldn't justify just having it sit in one of my boxes. lol

exactly the sort of semi-expensive in 9.2 book but not such an obvious book to send in to CGC even if gorgeous that can easily slip through the cracks at a shop like this.

exactly the sort of semi-expensive in 9.2 book but not such an obvious book to send in to CGC even if gorgeous that can easily slip through the cracks at a shop like this.

Lots of dealers rock this particular store. Matt Nelson and Steve Ritter had just ransacked it 2 days before, the last time I was in there. I have gotten tons of books for discounted 9.2 guide that have wound up in 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 slabs. :cloud9: