• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Bronze Age what do you do?
3 3

248 posts in this topic

or, and i wonder if there's any dealer left who might do this still, get a primo book raw graded at the 9.2 OPG price by a dealer who doesn't feel like they can charge more than overstreet and the book is, in fact, a 9.4 - 9.8. for example, my main shops will never charge more than the OPG 9.2 price for a book, even if it is beyond perfect. true, if it's a book like hulk 181 they'll send it in to get slabbed, but if it's a book that's $150 in OPG 9.2 (but might sell for many multiples of that in 9.4-9.8) they would not. so that pretty sums up most of those neal adams batmans out there. true, they rarely get vintage stuff that's above 9.2, but I figure given they do get 9.0-9.2 stuff with regularity, some 9.4-9.8 must come in on occasion.

There are several of these in Ohio. My highest grossing sale of all time was for a book I paid my LCS $40 for.

and what book was that? hm

The Cap 110 that sold for $3009 in Sept/Oct of 2009. :cloud9:

exactly the sort of semi-expensive in 9.2 book but not such an obvious book to send in to CGC even if gorgeous that can easily slip through the cracks at a shop like this.

Lots of dealers rock this particular store. Matt Nelson and Steve Ritter had just ransacked it 2 days before, the last time I was in there. I have gotten tons of books for discounted 9.2 guide that have wound up in 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 slabs. :cloud9:

which makes me wonder how a place like this continues to get good stuff? seriously, are there comic hoards all over ohio? my LCSes get a steady stream of new vintage material, but if .5% of the BA and earlier material is 9.4 or better I would be shocked. maybe all the high grade comic hoards in NYC have already been brought to market (which would make some sense given rents/storage costs).

or, and i wonder if there's any dealer left who might do this still, get a primo book raw graded at the 9.2 OPG price by a dealer who doesn't feel like they can charge more than overstreet and the book is, in fact, a 9.4 - 9.8. for example, my main shops will never charge more than the OPG 9.2 price for a book, even if it is beyond perfect. true, if it's a book like hulk 181 they'll send it in to get slabbed, but if it's a book that's $150 in OPG 9.2 (but might sell for many multiples of that in 9.4-9.8) they would not. so that pretty sums up most of those neal adams batmans out there. true, they rarely get vintage stuff that's above 9.2, but I figure given they do get 9.0-9.2 stuff with regularity, some 9.4-9.8 must come in on occasion.

There are several of these in Ohio. My highest grossing sale of all time was for a book I paid my LCS $40 for.

and what book was that? hm

The Cap 110 that sold for $3009 in Sept/Oct of 2009. :cloud9:

exactly the sort of semi-expensive in 9.2 book but not such an obvious book to send in to CGC even if gorgeous that can easily slip through the cracks at a shop like this.

Lots of dealers rock this particular store. Matt Nelson and Steve Ritter had just ransacked it 2 days before, the last time I was in there. I have gotten tons of books for discounted 9.2 guide that have wound up in 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 slabs. :cloud9:

which makes me wonder how a place like this continues to get good stuff? seriously, are there comic hoards all over ohio? my LCSes get a steady stream of new vintage material, but if .5% of the BA and earlier material is 9.4 or better I would be shocked. maybe all the high grade comic hoards in NYC have already been brought to market (which would make some sense given rents/storage costs).

This is just my personal theory, but I attribute it to there being a huge Air Force base 3 miles away. Lots of people coming in and out. All the time. Bound to be plenty of collectors in the mix. :cloud9: x infinity

how do folks in the military haul around high grade collections and keep them high grade? one would think an air force carrier is not the greatest place for storing comics. and while iraq, afghanistan and saudi arabia are dry, the murderous heat can't be good.

how do folks in the military haul around high grade collections and keep them high grade? one would think an air force carrier is not the greatest place for storing comics. and while iraq, afghanistan and saudi arabia are dry, the murderous heat can't be good.

This is a huge base with lots of intelligence, logistics, finance etc. types of jobs and lots of higher ranking commissioned and non-commissioned officers. There is also an absolutely huge part of the economy of the area servicing the base itself. Lots of people with excellent jobs moving to the area for at least semi-permanent residence. Much more likely to bring collections than a place that is a training base or a base out of which regular enlisted men are being shipped to and fro. Plus the aliens are in Hangar 18.

PS: FYI not a lot of aircraft carriers in Ohio. Lots of C-130s though. :D

I would go after books in the LCE35 indicies. Nothing but keys baby. Everything else is pure speculation at best in this market.

Is that site old and outdated, or still running strong? Maybe I have to join it to find the current info/articles? Is that your site?

I joined.

ASM 136 but no ASM 135?

No Cerebus #1?

I would go after books in the LCE35 indicies. Nothing but keys baby. Everything else is pure speculation at best in this market.

Is that site old and outdated, or still running strong? Maybe I have to join it to find the current info/articles? Is that your site?

I joined.

ASM 136 but no ASM 135?

No Cerebus #1?

:cloud9: Cerebus #1

This scenario recently occurred with me. I took the 1K and purchased a very nice looking Giant Size X-Men CGC 9.2 and had some change left over.

This book has been dropping in value of late, I know. But so have many books, due to the economy I assume. It is arguably the #1 bronze age book to have and I have never owned one. I have owned a couple of Hulk 181's and frankly was just not "thrilled" to own them. Lousy story and meant little to me until after the New X-Men surfaced. Of course I wish I still had them, but there are a lot around if I decide to grab one. There are a lot of GSX around also, but for the money, it looks like a better buy than a 181. I'm not sure how much higher the 181 can go before they reach the ceiling. Even if the new ceiling "might" be 150K for a 9.9.

So I bought a GSX #1 that looks better than the given grade. I "bought the book and not the label", as they say.

Whether it is a good investment or not, only time will tell. But if THIS book is not a proven investment, then what on earth is for a grand or under? Hulk 181 perhaps. GL 76 probably.

Walking Dead, CPG, Bone, Invincible, Air Pirates, Cherry Poptart, ASM 300, blah, blah, blah. Give me a break. :)

Now, I will admit there are some Golden Age that are be very inticing for 1K or under, but the bulk of the future collectors with bucks, will come from those "attached" to bronze age stuff.

All of the above are my opinions and yours may vary. :)

I should also mention that my recent bronze purchases have been an 8.5 white, pedigree Batman 227 and Tec 400. Plus a GL 76 8.5 white non pedigree. So I am spreading my money around to some of the obvious bronze books. But no Hulk 181.

Yet. :)

Edited by conditionfreak

I still believe that Incredible Hulk #181 and Giant Size X-Men #1 are the Action #1 and Tec 27 of the bronze age.Even though they are lower priced now, because of the economy or whatever.The prices will not always be this low. hm