• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Bronze Age what do you do?
3 3

248 posts in this topic

ASM #300 is a great example of where this Market is. That book was running around 1k in 9.8. Then the market corrected itself and you could get one for half that. Now it is back to 1K+.

No one should be buying that book at this point. The market is near its high point on nearly every book.

Save your money and wait for the correction.

Been waiting for a BA correction that will never come. Meanwhile the books I want continue to increase. I can't take it anymore!?? I am close to buying a nice 9.6 All-Star Comics #58. The 9.8s are tempting. Those are in the Harley Quinn range ? & 25 years older.

Bronze... I'd have to go with Giant Size X-Men #1, as the 1st appearance of the team and technically 2nd story with Wolverine (after the Hulk 180-181-182 arc w/ Wendigo).

The square bound spine and white cover makes it harder to find in nice condition too.

I like what and where my $ can get me with this book and the upside for growth over what Hulk 181 is at now, with less room to grow and what $1k can get you in terms of condition/grade.

ASM #300 is a great example of where this Market is. That book was running around 1k in 9.8. Then the market corrected itself and you could get one for half that. Now it is back to 1K+.

No one should be buying that book at this point. The market is near its high point on nearly every book.

Save your money and wait for the correction.

Been waiting for a BA correction that will never come. Meanwhile the books I want continue to increase. I can't take it anymore!?? I am close to buying a nice 9.6 All-Star Comics #58. The 9.8s are tempting. Those are in the Harley Quinn range ? & 25 years older.

+1

I see the same for copper age now. I look for 1980s and 1990s comic books that will take off next. I don`t think a lot of people realize how popular comic books are as a hobby. It`s like one of the top 5 hobbies in Western Civilization.So there is a lot of growth for keys. Some of the characters are like indestructible with the way they keep on re-inventing themselves.

Bronze... I'd have to go with Giant Size X-Men #1

The square bound spine and white cover makes it harder to find in nice condition too.

Definitely not the case since I believe this book was part of the big Mile High 2 warehouse find and is out there in high grade. :gossip:

For example, I just checked the census and there are over 100 more copies of this book in CGC 9.8 graded condition as compared to X-Men 94. Similarly, there are also over 200 more copies of this book in both CGC 9.6 and CGC 9.4 graded condition as compared to X-Men 94.

Hence, there are over 500 more copies of this book in relative HG condition as compared to X-Men 94. And that's just for the graded copies only, just imagine if we added in the raw ungraded copies to this total here. hm

Ehhh I feel wolverine first app is inflated and will die out. ASM 300 is holding well, probably always will.

I disagree... I think Wolvie is just heating up, generally speaking. Maybe IH 181 slows down a bit but I think IH 180 is going to start getting a lot more attention. There are way too many defining tangents to his character, from storyline to artist.

So interesting to look back....

In 2010 when this was posted you had double digit opportunities to buy a IH 181 in 9.0 for a 1000 of less. This year the mean is approx 3K.

ASM 300? As the post said it was on a downward trajectory when the OP posted this, so 550 would have secured you one.  Today? 5 sales all around 1100 this year.

Seems IH 181 was the better investment, I know there are BA performance sites where 5 year prices on big BA books are tracked.:whatev:

On January 17, 2017 at 1:40 PM, AGGIEZ said:

I've never understood the appeal for this book... (shrug)

I bought it off the racks and remember the buzz among others who grabbed one and read it. In my anecdotal experience, it just seemed like the one that made people realize something new and cool was happening with the X-Men. GS1 is kind of a standalone read while 94 definitely has that continuity context, that "here we go, we're rolling" feel that made the X-Men feel new again. I don't know if that explains it, but that's how I remember that 1975-1980 era. My mindset still hasn't caught up and I'm always mildly surprised by how many have come to prefer GS1, even though it's an awesome book too.

While GS 1 is chronologically "baby A" of these twins, the Mile High II find of GS1 and the darker cover on 94 does make it harder in grade. 

On 2/13/2017 at 9:19 PM, jbud731 said:

So interesting to look back....

In 2010 when this was posted you had double digit opportunities to buy a IH 181 in 9.0 for a 1000 of less. This year the mean is approx 3K.

ASM 300? As the post said it was on a downward trajectory when the OP posted this, so 550 would have secured you one.  Today? 5 sales all around 1100 this year.

Seems IH 181 was the better investment, I know there are BA performance sites where 5 year prices on big BA books are tracked.:whatev:

Looks like a lot of these keys have been better investments than an oz of gold since 2010. 

Marvel Premeire #47 is where I would put my money. I'm gonna be like Cal and his Iron Man and Submariner #1 collection (hording stash ?). I want all the MP #47's there are. I love Antman and see that character and the books he's in as the future of collecting. There is no way any Antman book will ever go down in popularity & value. 

FACT!

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Marvel Premeire #47 is where I would put my money. I'm gonna be like Cal and his Iron Man and Submariner #1 collection (hording stash ?). I want all the MP #47's there are. I love Antman and see that character and the books he's in as the future of collecting. There is no way any Antman book will ever go down in popularity & value. 

FACT!

Yes, I am so happy I bought a TTA 27 for the same price as somewhat lower condition an AF 15 in 1994...

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:43 PM, Readcomix said:

I bought it off the racks and remember the buzz among others who grabbed one and read it. In my anecdotal experience, it just seemed like the one that made people realize something new and cool was happening with the X-Men. GS1 is kind of a standalone read while 94 definitely has that continuity context, that "here we go, we're rolling" feel that made the X-Men feel new again. I don't know if that explains it, but that's how I remember that 1975-1980 era. My mindset still hasn't caught up and I'm always mildly surprised by how many have come to prefer GS1, even though it's an awesome book too.

While GS 1 is chronologically "baby A" of these twins, the Mile High II find of GS1 and the darker cover on 94 does make it harder in grade. 

I agree with this, but I think that GS is starting to catch up price wise to 94. In years past, 94 was almost a $1,000 more in CGC 9.4 than the GS but in the last few years it seems like the gap might be less than $500.