• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Bronze Age what do you do?
3 3

248 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, scooter99 said:

There was this 1986 movie.

I don't know if he will get another film, but if they do, it dang well needs to be better than this one. 

Howard_the_Duck_(1986).jpg

In defense of that movie: duck boobs.

On 5/22/2017 at 0:56 PM, drbanner said:

I think you're missing the point here Bob, it's not the magnitude of the return...it's the % return that is the question. For you, $1,000 may not be the "scale of a true investment", but for someone making minimum wage, that represents over 3 weeks of labor.

Someone making minimum wage should not be spending the money on comic books IMHO unless they are still living at home with the parents.

Edited by rjrjr

2 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Someone making minimum wage should not be spending the money on comic books IMHO unless they are still living at home with the parents.

Or booze, or cigarettes, or sodas, or candy, or a million other things one person buys that another person thinks they shouldn't. :preach:

On 5/22/2017 at 3:56 PM, drbanner said:

I think you're missing the point here Bob, it's not the magnitude of the return...it's the % return that is the question. For you, $1,000 may not be the "scale of a true investment", but for someone making minimum wage, that represents over 3 weeks of labor.

That's why I picked the $1000 back then. I figured a week or two salary for the average American.  So it wouldn't have broken the bank as it wasn't a life savings.  I also wanted everyone to be involved.  If I have said $20,000 to $50,000 it wouldn't have the same interest.  

It looks like it worked out well,as just about every bronze age comic book recommended by the board members back then has doubled or tripled in value.  Looking at an oz of gold for comparison's sake we will find back then gold averaged $1420,while today it sits at $1260.:whatthe:         So for the most part since 2010 the Bronze Age $1000 Key comics recommended by the board members back then were a better pick than what the goldbugs were trying to hype.  

52 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That's why I picked the $1000 back then. I figured a week or two salary for the average American.  So it wouldn't have broken the bank as it wasn't a life savings.  I also wanted everyone to be involved.  If I have said $20,000 to $50,000 it wouldn't have the same interest.  

It looks like it worked out well,as just about every bronze age comic book recommended by the board members back then has doubled or tripled in value.  Looking at an oz of gold for comparison's sake we will find back then gold averaged $1420,while today it sits at $1260.:whatthe:         So for the most part since 2010 the Bronze Age $1000 Key comics recommended by the board members back then were a better pick than what the goldbugs were trying to hype.  

Yeah, gold hasn't been a good investment for a long time now... and even the S&P 500 has more than doubled since you started this thread.

Really, to date over the entirety of the comic book collecting hobby buying key/vintage gold, silver, and bronze age books has proven to be a good investment. Not sure that will be the case in the future, but it sure has been in the past. (thumbsu

4 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Yeah, gold hasn't been a good investment for a long time now... and even the S&P 500 has more than doubled since you started this thread.

Really, to date over the entirety of the comic book collecting hobby buying key/vintage gold, silver, and bronze age books has proven to be a good investment. Not sure that will be the case in the future, but it sure has been in the past. (thumbsu

For years we have been hearing how comic books are a bad investment and in a bubble, but the comic book keys keep going up! :cloud9:

6 hours ago, drbanner said:

I would have thought this, but didn't have any proof lol after seeing gold coin advertisements resurface on obscure channels on HD Antenna TV (don't have cable), I thought they were maybe scraping the bottom of the barrel to get investors.

My granddad had a coin collection :) I didn't know it in time for me to enjoy it, but he was a part of the coin section of these boards :) and towards the end I let him know I was "in" to comic books and CGC and he had a wealth of info having been so near to it and reading in here every once in a while :)