• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Bronze Age what do you do?
3 3

248 posts in this topic

My Picks:

House of secrets 92 in the best possible condition. (this book just keeps going up and up)

Hulk 181...they are not rare, but Wolvie is iconic.

Hulk 271...the chicks dig rocket raccoon

Avengers 196...taskmaster is an awesome villain who will eventually be in a movie one day.

Edited by blackbears86

There's a bubble in most BA, C and D lister first appearances.

Last time the market crashed, common BA books (in all conditions ) got hammered the worst.

I wouldn't buy any of the books mentioned at any of these current prices (with the POSSIBLE exception of 181, as that still has not recovered its peak 9.8 pricing nearly 10 years after the fact, AND Wolverine is actually a transcendent character very close in the vein of a Spider-Man or Batman, if not a half tick below those guys). Almost the entirety of this ludicrous run up in most of these BA, C and D lister first appearance books is movie/TV hype speculation based, which means it's doomed for a(nother) painful correction at some point.

Save your money and buy then.

-J.

With all due respect, I think the question is flawed. $1,000 now buys nothing of note from the Bronze Age - certainly nothing that will appreciate. The "9.8 W or nothing" mentality has killed off a lot of interest in anything less. I admit I have always adhered to that mentality myself, but didn't think everyone would follow suit so quickly.

I subscribe to the earlier suggestion - put the money against a substantial Copper investment. (thumbs u

A check of GPA reveals $1,000 doesn't even net anything of significance from the Copper Age. Even the last of the Modern rarities are about to exceed this figure. :P

Original poster should have done their homework first. :makepoint:

I started this thread in 2010 over 6 years ago.

If I started this today I would say $5,000, maybe even $10,000,instead of $1,000.

Looks like a lot of keys that were suggested to me back then have all gone up from $1,000 and made good profits.

Pretty cool.

Last time the market crashed, common BA books (in all conditions ) got hammered the worst.

I wouldn't buy any of the books mentioned at any of these current prices (with the POSSIBLE exception of 181, as that still has not recovered its peak 9.8 pricing nearly 10 years after the fact, AND Wolverine is actually a transcendent character very close in the vein of a Spider-Man or Batman, if not a half tick below those guys). Almost the entirety of this ludicrous run up in most of these BA, C and D lister first appearance books is movie/TV hype speculation based, which means it's doomed for a(nother) painful correction at some point.

-J.

The big "Bubble" is in moderns and Modern variants. All boats have risen, that's for sure. The Hurt is coming to people that are spending thousands on chase variants . Yes Bronze is high right now but if you got into bronze right, I would say your safer owning these "C and D" characters first appearance's over modern covers with no meaning. After all marvel/Disney makes a habit out of turning these characters into the A and B range. Hulk # 181's highs where all centered around no census numbers and people buying into "fake rarity" you can follow that price curve to a "T" with census population and the current number is way more in-line with guide values.

For the first 3 years of the census there was 1900 graded hulk 181's and only 4 FOUR were graded 9.8. that caused a bubble and a price based on rarity that was not real. That is, what I believe is the same situation we are in with HFH #1 and WBN #32 we are seeing very low 9.8 census numbers that are popping up the price in higher grade's . I do believe there is a high grade bubble on these books that has rippled thru all grade's and is catching up on the 9.2 and lower.

I dont believe the run up in BA books is only speculation based. I believe it is supply and census based as well.

will the census catch up to these books like it did with the hulk #181? That is the question.

That being said if you can buy any of these first appearances near or slightly above guide value I dont think you will be disappointed years from now. The 9.2 range is very attractive, especially if you really like the character.

48 grand for A 9.8 MARVEL SPOTLIGHT #5 IN 9.8 THAT'S A PRETTY PENNY.

CGC CENSUS TOOL Great Tool !

Edited by paul747

-J.

The big "Bubble" is in moderns and Modern variants. All boats have risen, that's for sure. The Hurt is coming to people that are spending thousands on chase variants . Yes Bronze is high right now but if you got into bronze right, I would say your safer owning these "C and D" characters first appearance's over modern covers with no meaning. After all marvel/Disney makes a habit out of turning these characters into the A and B range. Hulk # 181's highs where all centered around no census numbers and people buying into "fake rarity" you can follow that price curve to a "T" with census population and the current number is way more in-line with guide values.

For the first 3 years of the census there was 1900 graded hulk 181's and only 4 FOUR were graded 9.8. that caused a bubble and a price based on rarity that was not real. That is, what I believe is the same situation we are in with HFH #1 and WBN #32 we are seeing very low 9.8 census numbers that are popping up the price in higher grade's . I do believe there is a high grade bubble on these books that has rippled thru all grade's and is catching up on the 9.2 and lower.

I dont believe the run up in BA books is only speculation based. I believe it is supply and census based as well.

will the census catch up to these books like it did with the hulk #181? That is the question.

That being said if you can buy any of these first appearances near or slightly above guide value I dont think you will be disappointed years from now. The 9.2 range is very attractive, especially if you really like the character.

Pretty spot on post. I expect bronze age and copper age keys to continue to be profitable.

It be fun to check back in another 6 years. :)

-J.

The superfluous and inapplicable aside about the modern variant market notwithstanding, I think we basically said the same thing. (thumbs u

Indeed, the biggest threat in the BA market, and to an even more obscene extent in the CA market is the utter abundance of copies of everything out there, both high grade and otherwise. People were collecting, saving, storing and preserving comics long before the BA began even, and the people who collected and saved all those nice copies of Hulk 181 didn't suddenly forget how to do the same with other books from the same era.

Anyone who's still playing "the census game" when paying these sky high prices for common BA third rate character books temporarily propped up by movie/tv hype clearly has not learned from mistakes passed.

-J.

You also have to wonder how much the zero interest rate monetary policy over the last 6+ years (since thread started) has potentially influenced comic book prices.

Interesting tidbit, if you go back to 8/24/2010 here are the prices of well known company stocks:

JP Morgan $36.21 --> Today = $86.50

Disney $32.14 ---> Today = $104.30

Prudential $50.61 ---> Today = $104.96

Home Depot $27.78 ---> Today = $135.07

Amazon $350 ---> Today = $772.13

This is not an attempt to start a :slapfight: between stocks vs. comics; merely some landscape for perspective. There were clear outliers like that Luke Cage slab discussed a couple pages ago but for the most part it seems nearly everything appreciated to one degree or another. So it is all relative.

Will be interesting to come back and bump this thread again in another six years.

I started this thread in 2010 over 6 years ago.

If I started this today I would say $5,000, maybe even $10,000,instead of $1,000.

Looks like a lot of keys that were suggested to me back then have all gone up from $1,000 and made good profits.

Pretty cool.

If I recall someone did have a "$10,000 what if question" a while back regarding the Silver age. Totally hypothetical in my case. lol

You also have to wonder how much the zero interest rate monetary policy over the last 6+ years (since thread started) has potentially influenced comic book prices.

Interesting tidbit, if you go back to 8/24/2010 here are the prices of well known company stocks:

JP Morgan $36.21 --> Today = $86.50

Disney $32.14 ---> Today = $104.30

Prudential $50.61 ---> Today = $104.96

Home Depot $27.78 ---> Today = $135.07

Amazon $350 ---> Today = $772.13

This is not an attempt to start a :slapfight: between stocks vs. comics; merely some landscape for perspective. There were clear outliers like that Luke Cage slab discussed a couple pages ago but for the most part it seems nearly everything appreciated to one degree or another. So it is all relative.

Will be interesting to come back and bump this thread again in another six years.

There was also a comics versus stocks thread a while back and the comic involved was OAAW# 83 if I can recall correctly .

Just saying.

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W

Bronze

Investment

?

I think I'd go for ..... high grade

Showcase 37.

Metal Men.

Platinum is gonna be hot

Wait. That's silver

Ok never mind

Get a high grade WWBK 33