• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Bronze Age what do you do?
3 3

248 posts in this topic

I'm going to have to be boring and say:

- 9.4 Ghost Rider #1

- 9.8 DC Comics Presents #26 (New Teen Titans Preview)

GR because of MS5. I've been a long time GR fan so I'm not on the bandwagon with this one but even so its hard to account for MS5's appreciation over the last four years. GR 1 has been steady in comparison for over 5 years. I think the MS5's popularity and price will provide the push towards GR 1. As for the new teen titans, I think there will eventually be a very broad jump in popularity. I don't know if there is a movie planned but you would think DC would have this on their short list. New Teen Titans has a very broad target market and franchise potential.

With all due respect, I think the question is flawed. $1,000 now buys nothing of note from the Bronze Age - certainly nothing that will appreciate. The "9.8 W or nothing" mentality has killed off a lot of interest in anything less. I admit I have always adhered to that mentality myself, but didn't think everyone would follow suit so quickly.

I subscribe to the earlier suggestion - put the money against a substantial Copper investment. (thumbs u

Posted in 2010:

For that $1,000, try to find a Hero For Hire #1 with nice cover registration in cgc 9.6

90 day GPA average: $6233 :acclaim:

lol Better than one of your biotech stocks no?

Better than most, but not better than all of them. ;)

And not better than a bunch of them when taking into consideration the scale of the investment that is possible. You just couldn't make that same return on investment by trying to buy and sell tens of thousands of dollars of Hero For Hire #1s in cgc 9.6. :grin:

With all due respect, I think the question is flawed. $1,000 now buys nothing of note from the Bronze Age - certainly nothing that will appreciate. The "9.8 W or nothing" mentality has killed off a lot of interest in anything less. I admit I have always adhered to that mentality myself, but didn't think everyone would follow suit so quickly.

I subscribe to the earlier suggestion - put the money against a substantial Copper investment. (thumbs u

A check of GPA reveals $1,000 doesn't even net anything of significance from the Copper Age. Even the last of the Modern rarities are about to exceed this figure. :P

Original poster should have done their homework first. :makepoint:

A check of GPA reveals $1,000 doesn't even net anything of significance from the Copper Age. Even the last of the Modern rarities are about to exceed this figure. :P

Original poster should have done their homework first. :makepoint:

OPs post was from 2010. :gossip:

Posted in 2010:

For that $1,000, try to find a Hero For Hire #1 with nice cover registration in cgc 9.6

Post Netflix show hype, barely cracking $4k now though.

That's still a great return from 2010 and way more than what it's really "worth" IMO.

-J.

Posted in 2010:

Post Netflix show hype, barely cracking $4k now though.

That's still a great return from 2010 and way more than what it's really "worth" IMO.

-J.

Jay do you own this book?

The 9.6 on Clink looked like a 9.4 tops. miss-wrapped

Oct-11-2016 $5,200 Cert# 0296303001

Oct-08-2016 $8,500 Cert# 0986108005

Sep-27-2016 $5,000 Cert# 0166377004

Aug-12-2016 $7,000 Cert# 0986108005

I would buy a marvel spotlight #5 with the $1,000.00

Edited by paul747

Posted in 2010:

lol Better than one of your biotech stocks no?

Better than most, but not better than all of them. ;)

And not better than a bunch of them when taking into consideration the scale of the investment that is possible. You just couldn't make that same return on investment by trying to buy and sell tens of thousands of dollars of Hero For Hire #1s in cgc 9.6. :grin:

Right figured a 6+ bagger is not too shabby for the most part :grin: You have a good point also on the supply side with respect to liquidity. The only slabs I can think of off hand that have the population and "daily" ability to make a market in for multiple buyers without tanking the price would be an ASM 300 or NM 98.

look for a raw high grade WWBN 32 and 33, have them cleaned, pressed if necessary and slab em'.

If you've got any scratch leftover, invest in high grade copies of Strange Tales 169 (1st Brother Voodoo)

as it seems these are books that are getting hard to find in high grades that are still fairly affordable if you seek them out. 5 years from now, they'll be harder to get imo

Edited by B2D327

So if even I could buy the best graded Hulk 181 I could get for $1000, the holy grail of the bronze age, it still wouldn`t go up much in 5 years, so really these bronze age comic books are maybe mediocre investments at best and your better off buying stocks/bonds or gold/silver metal with the thousand. Very interesting indeed. ;)

8.5 hulk 181 would have been 1000 dollars well spent in 2010....now you can only get a 5.0 for that. I bet that 1000 for a 5 now will seem cheap in 5 years. Wolverine is always popular.

Edited by jason4