• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Bronze Age what do you do?
3 3

248 posts in this topic

I think there are opportunities still in some of the SA DC books

Showcase 37 in as high grade as you can get. Some day a movie will be most excellent.

Or buy a hulk 181or ASM 129 and follow the general crowd

I think I would pass the traditional keys and look undervalued and room to grow.

Here are some thoughts. Some are borderline Copper as well. All books that have room to grow depending what happens next few years to grow. I am sure there are others, but these come to mind.

Avengers 181/Marvel Premiere 47

Giant Size Defender 3

Ms Marvel 1

DC Comics Presents 26

Buy the highest Star Wars #2 35-cent variant you can get for $1,000... first comic appearance of Han Solo, Chewbacca, and the Millenium Falcon.

Sell it when the Han Solo movie is nearly released (May 2018)... buy a Hulk #181 with whatever you get for the SW #2 35-cent.

Posted in 2010:

For that $1,000, try to find a Hero For Hire #1 with nice cover registration in cgc 9.6

90 day GPA average: $6233 :acclaim:

lol Better than one of your biotech stocks no?

Better than most, but not better than all of them. ;)

And not better than a bunch of them when taking into consideration the scale of the investment that is possible. You just couldn't make that same return on investment by trying to buy and sell tens of thousands of dollars of Hero For Hire #1s in cgc 9.6. :grin:

Right figured a 6+ bagger is not too shabby for the most part :grin: You have a good point also on the supply side with respect to liquidity. The only slabs I can think of off hand that have the population and "daily" ability to make a market in for multiple buyers without tanking the price would be an ASM 300 or NM 98.

So in regards to the topic of this thread can I get some adivce?

I am looking at buying an ASM #300 in 9.6. I can get a CGC 9.6 White off white for $375 or I can get a CBCS 9.6 White pages for $450.

Down the road long term which will I be happier with when I try to move it?

Posted in 2010:

For that $1,000, try to find a Hero For Hire #1 with nice cover registration in cgc 9.6

And not better than a bunch of them when taking into consideration the scale of the investment that is possible. You just couldn't make that same return on investment by trying to buy and sell tens of thousands of dollars of Hero For Hire #1s in cgc 9.6. :grin:

Right figured a 6+ bagger is not too shabby for the most part :grin: You have a good point also on the supply side with respect to liquidity. The only slabs I can think of off hand that have the population and "daily" ability to make a market in for multiple buyers without tanking the price would be an ASM 300 or NM 98.

I am looking at buying an ASM #300 in 9.6. I can get a CGC 9.6 White off white for $375 or I can get a CBCS 9.6 White pages for $450.

CGC one. Duh

Posted in 2010:

CGC one. Duh

Do you say that based solely on price?

Get a high grade ASM #300 newsstand edition (barcode on the cover). The prices might be about the same today... but down the road, people will start realizing they're about 1-out-of-30 compared to direct editions (spidey head on the cover).

Get a high grade ASM #300 newsstand edition (barcode on the cover). The prices might be about the same today... but down the road, people will start realizing they're about 1-out-of-30 compared to direct editions (spidey head on the cover).

Thank you for the suggestion.

This is along my lines of thinking as it is only a 9.6 there needs to be something else special about it. White pages or newsstand edition would make it more noteworthy in those terms.

A 9.8 is just too far out of my price range right now on a book from that era .

ASM #300 is a great example of where this Market is. That book was running around 1k in 9.8. Then the market corrected itself and you could get one for half that. Now it is back to 1K+.

No one should be buying that book at this point. The market is near its high point on nearly every book.

Save your money and wait for the correction.

ASM #300 is a great example of where this Market is. That book was running around 1k in 9.8. Then the market corrected itself and you could get one for half that. Now it is back to 1K+.

No one should be buying that book at this point. The market is near its high point on nearly every book.

Save your money and wait for the correction.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, however, other than a brief blip in 2011, ASM 300 has not been a regular "$500" book since 2002, when GPA first started collecting records. It was going for $400 when NM 98 was going for $70. With its more organic and moderate price increases, TMNT 1 being out of most young collectors' price ranges and NM 98 and BA 12 receding from their artificial movie hype highs, it is looking more and more like "the" Copper Age book, and might be as about as "blue chip" as one could ever hope to get from that era

-J.

Truth is you could buy a Hulk 181, or an Amazing Spider Man 300. Would you be happy with those,or would you be happier with something else? (shrug)

Get something that YOU would like to own, to hell with investment strategy.

Make an investment in your enjoyment, and the rest of your "investment strategy" will seem less important. 2c

Truth is you could buy a Hulk 181, or an Amazing Spider Man 300. Would you be happy with those,or would you be happier with something else? (shrug)

Make an investment in your enjoyment, and the rest of your "investment strategy" will seem less important. 2c

:applause:

-J.

Agreed, if you are looking for a comic-related investment, buy Disney (Marvel) shares. They have tripled since the start date of this thread, paid a decent dividend, and are far more liquid.

As Oakman said, comic collecting should be an investment in the joy of owning comics you truly treasure, regardless of their future worth.

While I absolutely agree with the previous three posts, in the spirit of the arbitrary, academic and fun structure of the scenario presented by the OP, I'm going to throw out some (relative) long shots for consideration in this scenario:

A low 9's X-Men 94

A really nice Green Lantern 87 (just a gut that John Stewart is the eventual Hollywood GL for the JL franchise)

The nicest House of Secrets 92 you could grab (I think of this book as the TTA27 of the Bronze Age)

Just some different thoughts, none of which admittedly looks as bulletproof as a 181, but it's a different take on a way to play it.

Edited by Readcomix