• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

Copies of WD #100 are flying off the Bay. I always thought it was NAYGAN, not KNEEgahn..

And really it should be negan pronounced like Megan...given the spelling.

I thought it was Meghan

I thought it was pronounced Brittney

I, and everyone I know all pronounced it as "Knee-gan". I honestly don't see how people could think otherwise.

Well, without guidance to the contrary or spoken history creating a pattern of usage, the English language tends to give short vowel sounds to singular vowels unless there's a suffix or complimentary attached vowel that transform it into a long vowel sound.

Like "Cat" and "Cate", "Rat" and "Rate", "Pet" and "Pete", "Kit" and "Kite".

I, and everyone I know all pronounced it as "Knee-gan". I honestly don't see how people could think otherwise.

Well, without guidance to the contrary or spoken history creating a pattern of usage, the English language tends to give short vowel sounds to singular vowels unless there's a suffix or complimentary attached vowel that transform it into a long vowel sound.

NegAn

A = E is long sound?

Of course there are just as many examples otherway :P

NegAn

A = E is long sound?

Of course there are just as many examples otherway :P

Are you saying that the A in the suffix gives E the long sound?

Or are you saying the A has a long sound?

I get the "second" vowel thing. For names, usually, all bets are off. I guess it's up to the creator's preference. It just seems that, over and over again, for any non traditional names Kirkman picks a pronunciation that's jarring to the ear....like "Mish-Own". :facepalm:

Neg and Negan

:insane:

Kirkman picks a pronunciation that's jarring to the ear....like "Mish-Own". :facepalm:

hm

I always hear it and say it "Mi-shown"

You mean hear it on the show? You're right that's how they say it.

I am mostly taking issue with the "own" part.

I've never seen or heard that name in the real world.

(thumbs u

Btw, Eastbound and Down was so awesome! I miss that show... a lot!

lol

Love that show and my location is also a reference to Smokey & The Bandit as well.

The correct pronunciation was in Letter Hacks about a year ago, and admittedly I was pronouncing it wrong. Then again, I was saying Shang-Chi wrong for 40 years, just found out it's Shang CHEE last year