• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

An hour and 10 minutes completely wasted that I'll never get back. Last night's episode of Westworld on the other hand OMG!!!!

West World was a home run last night. The Tara episode of The Walking Dead Last night was barely an at bat. The new town could have been introduced in about 5 minutes instead of wasting a whole episode.

An hour and 10 minutes completely wasted that I'll never get back. Last night's episode of Westworld on the other hand OMG!!!!

tumblr_n8ep0rPkqH1tnn072o6_400.gif

Still haven't watched any episodes after the premiere, but read summaries online. I'm surprised when people are surprised about the formula:

Calm ruined by outside force. Group split up. Whole episodes devoted to solo characters or very small groups. [This is purely a budget tactic. Different filming crews cuts down on total shooting days for entire season.] Group coalesces under tense circumstances. Group eliminates threat and march toward calm again. Rinse and repeat.

I'm used to these "filler" episodes. We should all expect them by now I would think. There can be interesting aspects to find in these secondary character solo 'sodes. If only the newest zombie incarnation.

Sometimes I feel a bit sorry for the actors (such as the girl who plays Tara) who get to have their own shot in the spotlight and the fans are all boo hoo. (shrug) I do generally enjoy the episodes ft. the main cast more but I realize there are technical and financial reasons why the show is not put together that way every time. It's not HBO. And even the most popular HBO shows have sleeper episodes.

Call it filler if you want, but it was a quality episode that I enjoyed and I don't even like Tara. You can poke holes into ANY serial tv show if you so desire.

+1

All these "action junkies" expect every episode to be nothing but action and big budget spending. Its like they want AMC to blow the whole budget for only a few episodes instead of a whole season.

Why would anyone be upset if one of the characters is killed off if they don't feel or see any interactions with the character? Say if Heath died in some crazy over the top way this past episode would anyone care?

This is a drama folks and honestly the reason hardly anyone posts anything positive in this thread or any other lately is because its instantly negative nancied immediately. Every episode is building the story and we now have 5 communities out there to show. If AMC would do 5-10 minutes of cut to Hilltop, Alexandria, Kingdom, Sanctuary, and Ocean (whatever the name) people would complain its all choppy bouncing around too much and not enough dialogue, or characterization, etc etc.

Call it filler if you want, but it was a quality episode that I enjoyed and I don't even like Tara. You can poke holes into ANY serial tv show if you so desire.

+1

All these "action junkies" expect every episode to be nothing but action and big budget spending. Its like they want AMC to blow the whole budget for only a few episodes instead of a whole season.

Why would anyone be upset if one of the characters is killed off if they don't feel or see any interactions with the character? Say if Heath died in some crazy over the top way this past episode would anyone care?

This is a drama folks and honestly the reason hardly anyone posts anything positive in this thread or any other lately is because its instantly negative nancied immediately. Every episode is building the story and we now have 5 communities out there to show. If AMC would do 5-10 minutes of cut to Hilltop, Alexandria, Kingdom, Sanctuary, and Ocean (whatever the name) people would complain its all choppy bouncing around too much and not enough dialogue, or characterization, etc etc.

It might be a mistake to assume that the only people with complaints about the series, its direction, along with its pace and storytelling choices are "action junkies".

It also feels potentially incorrect to assume that the lack of kudos and discussion of the individual episodes, as to both quality and content, is due entirely to perceived anticipated cgc comic book forum backlash.

I literally know no one who refrains from posting anything online for fear of negative-nancy-ism. What would that be called? DebbieDownaphobia?

it's starting to sound like the season at the farm again ( was it two or three. I don't remember )

It's kind of strange to me. There's already a blue print so most know or could know somewhat of what's going to happen. Yet after this years first episode there was a lot of :cry:

I watched the first season of Fear the walking dead season one. I hoped each episode would get better. For me it didn't. I stopped watching.

If you aren't enjoying it. Stop watching.

I read the comic and still enjoy it. I still look forward to the tv show every Sunday.

It reminds me of the tv show Lost sometimes. You get a few episodes that are slower. But I still enjoy them.

Bring on the Nancys.

it's starting to sound like the season at the farm again ( was it two or three. I don't remember )

It's kind of strange to me. There's already a blue print so most know or could know somewhat of what's going to happen. Yet after this years first episode there was a lot of :cry:

I watched the first season of Fear the walking dead season one. I hoped each episode would get better. For me it didn't. I stopped watching.

If you aren't enjoying it. Stop watching.

I read the comic and still enjoy it. I still look forward to the tv show every Sunday.

It reminds me of the tv show Lost sometimes. You get a few episodes that are slower. But I still enjoy them.

Bring on the Nancys.

My point was not everyone who has problems with the show is a shallow action junkie and a lack of praise may involve issues more deeply rooted than fear of disagreement on a message board.

As for your message that's exactly what I've done. I've moved on from the show. Not being negative towards people that enjoy it, but I am a year one, day one, issue one off the stands Walking Dead fan. I enjoyed the Farm season. I enjoyed the thematic plot elements and slow burn towards over-arching theme resolution. Last season and the beginning of this season isn't the Farm, not thematically, and not in quality. Maybe that's why I walked away. I can see the show runner doesn't have a love for the source material nor a respect for the fan base that we've enjoyed, especially in seasons 1-3.

So nothing about slow or fast or solo episodes or ensemble episodes bothered me per se. Drama, done well and with a respect for the audience can overcome all of that. Hell it can be even more rewarding for viewers that pay close attention and pick up on subtle thematic elements. You should read my posts from season 3 and 4 pointing out the wonderful story arcs and cohesive themes from those seasons. I am far from a hater.

I am glad that people still enjoy the show. It's good to enjoy things. My point was lumping people who no longer enjoy it as some sort of myopic knuckle-draggers without the ability to appreciate "high art" such as Gimple's Magnum Opus, is a self-serving balm to be slathered onto the remaining audience to allay fears of entropy and not necessarily an accurate depiction.

Fans of any show, or book, will get no less than what they will tolerate and no more than what they demand.

There's a few here I respect. You are one of them. My post wasn't really :baiting: at anyone. It's more of a post saying I still watch and enjoy it.

I am curious if you still read and enjoy the comics? I started reading around #91, still enjoying them also.

There's a few here I respect. You are one of them. My post wasn't really :baiting: at anyone. It's more of a post saying I still watch and enjoy it.

I am curious if you still read and enjoy the comics? I started reading around #91, still enjoying them also.

I do still read them. Now I pick them up in TPB form as I don't get to the comic shop as often as I'd like. I read through 127 as individual issues.

The first 48 are the gold standard for TWD books. The next 50-60 issues were still a worthy read but becoming more derivative, rehashing parts of villains and story lines, which I expected given the subject matter. It's never gotten back to what those first 48 issues were, but that was a pretty high bar that got set.