• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Multi-Pack Thread
7 7

376 posts in this topic

(thumbs u

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen multi-packs with Pence Editions.

I have seen Multi-Mags with Canadian Editions, specifically Wolverine 2, which I saw years ago in this thread, thanks to comicwiz.

I picked this up about a week ago. I think I'm going to open the bag. While I have mixed emotions about doing so, here are my reasons:

1. I collect CGC Bronze Anniversary issues, and need this direct edition of IM 100.

2. The condition of the bag is weak. The back header is black as if painted (?).

3. I mostly collect Marvel Multi-Mags, and this bag style is an oddball for my collection.

4. I want to know what the free prize is.

IMG_4555_1.jpg

Great stuff wormboy!

If it helps your decision any, I personally would not open it. I think the condition of the poly-bag is actually above average, and far from being a beater (I usually attribute the highest impact on desirability of a multi-pack on bags that have lost their clarity rather than wrinkles, mark-ups or graphic fading). You'll sooner fnd a raw copy of the book you need than another multi-pack containing the issue.

I regret selling the handful I did. One was a sorting error too. I sold that to a friend of the family, and have not had any luck tracking down another.

Some more fun multi-packs.

Shogun Warriors #1 was available in two different bags (Whitman and Multi-Mag) and in two different editions (Whitman direct edition and the regular UPC/Newstand edition). I love this stuff.

Followed by a pic of the two versions of #1 plus #2 and #3.

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4558.jpg

Those are neat, and I enjoy tracking them as well.

Actually, some have a third version. I don't have all mine scanned/photographed, but there are certainly more interesting and scarcer combinations. For instance, the ROTJ LS have a 2 and 4 pack (as there were 4 issues in the limited series) containing the newsstand editions, and then there is a third version of 2 packs containing the CPV's. Pictured below are the two packs CPV's with the 75¢ cover prices in a multi-pack display with the shipper behind:

DSCF4256_zpsgpabigau.jpg

I believe most remain Whitman variants as long as they're sealed and were produced/distributed by Western (some bags are marked as such). Here is an interesting version of the multi-pack containing direct edition (not reprints) of issues 2-4, with no number 1, as was bundled with the Whitman multi-pack with the Suzy Rice Star Wars logo. The last photo is what you find with issues later in the run (starting sometime around issue 20, where they inserted single issues along with other Marvel titles):

_571_zpsvhm7wrrj.jpg

_571_zpsziprnzwb.jpg

StarWars1_baggie_sm_zpsykvcjltj.jpg

StarWars1_baggie_back_sm_zpsqqf304ui.jpg

Whitman_SW_multipack_zpsyv3r0x21.jpg

184ee40b-ada1-417b-820c-545e05a89cce_zpsm5s5snwe.jpg

I picked this up about a week ago. I think I'm going to open the bag. While I have mixed emotions about doing so, here are my reasons:

1. I collect CGC Bronze Anniversary issues, and need this direct edition of IM 100.

2. The condition of the bag is weak. The back header is black as if painted (?).

3. I mostly collect Marvel Multi-Mags, and this bag style is an oddball for my collection.

4. I want to know what the free prize is.

IMG_4555_1.jpg

Great stuff wormboy!

If it helps your decision any, I personally would not open it. I think the condition of the poly-bag is actually above average, and far from being a beater (I usually attribute the highest impact on desirability of a multi-pack on bags that have lost their clarity rather than wrinkles, mark-ups or graphic fading). You'll sooner fnd a raw copy of the book you need than another multi-pack containing the issue.

I regret selling the handful I did. One was a sorting error too. I sold that to a friend of the family, and have not had any luck tracking down another.

Thanks for the advice! Other folks seem to feel the same way lol. But if anyone could sway me it would be you.

Some more fun multi-packs.

Shogun Warriors #1 was available in two different bags (Whitman and Multi-Mag) and in two different editions (Whitman direct edition and the regular UPC/Newstand edition). I love this stuff.

Followed by a pic of the two versions of #1 plus #2 and #3.

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4558.jpg

Those are neat, and I enjoy tracking them as well.

Actually, some have a third version. I don't have all mine scanned/photographed, but there are certainly more interesting and scarcer combinations. For instance, the ROTJ LS have a 2 and 4 pack (as there were 4 issues in the limited series) containing the mewsstand editions, and then there is a third version of 2 packs containing the CPV's. Pictured below are the two packs CPV's with the 75¢ cover prices in a multi-pack display with the shipper behind:

DSCF4256_zpsgpabigau.jpg

I believe most remain Whitman variants as long as they're sealed and were produced/distributed by Western (some bags are marked as such). Here is an interesting version of the multi-pack containing direct edition (not reprints) of issues 2-4, with no number 1, as was bundled with the Whitman multi-pack with the Suzy Rice Star Wars logo. The last photo is what you find with issues later in the run (starting sometime around issue 20, where they inserted single issues along with other Marvel titles):

_571_zpsvhm7wrrj.jpg

_571_zpsziprnzwb.jpg

StarWars1_baggie_sm_zpsykvcjltj.jpg

StarWars1_baggie_back_sm_zpsqqf304ui.jpg

Whitman_SW_multipack_zpsyv3r0x21.jpg

184ee40b-ada1-417b-820c-545e05a89cce_zpsm5s5snwe.jpg

Awesome!

That display is :o amazing. And the original shipper!? Wow.

I also love those Star Wars packs. I still need one more to complete the regular set. I don't have the Canadians though, those are great, and now on my list.

What is a Suzy Rice logo?

Suzy Rice designed the first Star Wars logo. It's use was limited to the first poster and the Fox brochure which was the first promotional instrument used to sell the movie to theater owners. It's a nice way to date pieces bearing it because it was used for a short period of time. Joe Johnston's logo was used on everything after, and the logo pretty much remained the same with the only real change being the "W" which was stylized without the two pointed bottoms and looking a lot more like the logo Whitman used. :)

Suzy Rice designed the first Star Wars logo. It's use was limited to the first poster and the Fox brochure which was the first promotional instrument used to sell the movie to theater owners. It's a nice way to date pieces bearing it because it was used for a short period of time. Joe Johnston's logo was used on everything after, and the logo pretty much remained the same with the only real change being the "W" which was stylized without the two pointed bottoms and looking a lot more like the logo Whitman used. :)

Great info - I had no idea. Thanks.

What was the business thinking and logistics behind multi packs? Comics that did not sell at the stores had their covers ripped off, so they were not the source of the comics in multi pack. As a child in the 70s, I noted there was usually an A list superhero comic paired up with a D level POS in a double pack, and that the comics in the packs were usually a few months behind whatever was currently the new releases. Was it really worth the cost of the plastic bag to try to move dead product, when you were only giving the customer a 1 cent discount?

What was the business thinking and logistics behind multi packs? Comics that did not sell at the stores had their covers ripped off, so they were not the source of the comics in multi pack. As a child in the 70s, I noted there was usually an A list superhero comic paired up with a D level POS in a double pack, and that the comics in the packs were usually a few months behind whatever was currently the new releases. Was it really worth the cost of the plastic bag to try to move dead product, when you were only giving the customer a 1 cent discount?

the point of them is they could be used by retailers near the register and seemed like you were getting a bargain (not always the case). So my take is they were packaged for impulse buying. I bought a few early on when I first started and having some issues that were somewhat behind the current selection was a bonus to me.

I get what you are saying in that after that early foray into the multi-packs-- I was buying books from the racks. Maybe that was the design - open up new markets-- like KMart and grocery stores that normally didn't want to deal with individual books.

(thumbs u

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen multi-packs with Pence Editions.

I have seen Multi-Mags with Canadian Editions, specifically Wolverine 2, which I saw years ago in this thread, thanks to comicwiz.

Just picked up my first Canadian Multi-Mags! Super stoked to have this. I never see them come up for sale.

Wolverine 4 and Hercules 4 both Canadian Edition.

IMG_4710.jpg

Same auction included a Canadian Multi-Mags with Wolverine 2 and Hercules 2, but he opened the bag :cry:

"Once i noticed a mark on the wolverine 2 i opened original polybag to give a accurate description."

That was advertised, so, sad but OK. I just wish he had used a little more caution when opening the bag :o

Even if I ever opened one I picture myself spending an hour thinking about it before delicately slicing one side of the bag with an exacto knife so I could carefully remove the books from the bag lol

IMG_4711.jpg

Already put the Wolverine in Fullback and Mylar before I thought to post this.

(thumbs u

Thank you Godfather of Canadian editions/variants.

Do you think there are hundreds of Canadian Multi-mags, or just a few?

I've only seen our two Wolverines (2 and 4 with Hercules 2 and 4), and five different New Mutants packs, which I just lost at auction :cry:

Oh, and Indiana Jones 1, which I just won yesterday. :whee:

I don't think that many, and definitely not in the numbers we see with US multipacks of more common titles/issues (i.e. GI Joe's).

A good windsock is to guage surviving population of sealed CPV multipacks is with a high print run title like the ROTJ LS - even if we applied a yardstick measurement of 1/10th the US production, those two packs are still quite scarce, and if we compared them against how many show up for sale, are much rarer than their American counterpart.

I also consider them to be at least a double variant if they're still sealed because they are packaged in a Whitman (Western Publishing) polybag and are cover price variants.