• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C2E2, March 18-20, 2011, Chicago, IL.

390 posts in this topic

As an even newer promoter than Buck, I'll chime in here, too. When I decided to create our show I made a list of all of the national shows and the regional shows that I wanted to watch out for. I made an effort to reach out to the regional promoters close to me to build some type of rapport that would be beneficial for everyone (and so far they've all been great and helpful).

To Kevin's point about not only the convention centers booking, but what is going on in your town, our show is a prime example.

We had to go with a date the weekend before San Diego. I wanted to avoid competing with some regional shows like Summit City, Gem City and CCE. That knocked out April, June and Sept. Throw in the bigger shows that are within driving distance, you knock our March and August. January, February and December have unpredictable weather, so they were out.

May 7 is the Kentucky Derby. It would have been suicide to go in the weeks just before or that weekend. No venue had an opening for the rest of May.

That pushed us to July and the only date the venue had open. It's not ideal for someone who likes to travel and attend lots of cons because it is the weekend that runs right up to The Big One. But it is working for us. It might have limited our pool of artists we could draw, but we still put together a great guest list that we have had fantastic response to.

The bottom line, for me, was that our show is in an area that doesn't have, and hasn't had, a local show. The people that are attending and have expressed interest wouldn't have been attending SDCC anyway, so now they have something to attend. The artists I've approached, if they couldn't make it because of SDCC, have respectfully declined and asked to be contacted next year. I've only had one artist forcefully question my sanity and after I laid it out like I did above he said, "Well, good luck. Can I send you some stuff for your goodie bags?" :)

Yeah! A Louisville show! Just an hour down the road from my house.

While a 2012 date has not been set for C2E2 yet, Lance Festerman said today in an interview at CBR that: "It will be in the same timeframe -- right around St. Patrick's Day"

St. Patrick's Day is on a Saturday next year, which would make it tentatively March 16-18.

As a native Chicagoan, I still say the promoters of C2E2 are taking a chance, weather wise, by scheduling in mid-March. This year's weather was pleasant but

we can still get snow in March. I like it better in April but no biggie.

my mom lives on lake huron and got 6 inches of snow last night.

As an even newer promoter than Buck, I'll chime in here, too. When I decided to create our show I made a list of all of the national shows and the regional shows that I wanted to watch out for. I made an effort to reach out to the regional promoters close to me to build some type of rapport that would be beneficial for everyone (and so far they've all been great and helpful).

To Kevin's point about not only the convention centers booking, but what is going on in your town, our show is a prime example.

We had to go with a date the weekend before San Diego. I wanted to avoid competing with some regional shows like Summit City, Gem City and CCE. That knocked out April, June and Sept. Throw in the bigger shows that are within driving distance, you knock our March and August. January, February and December have unpredictable weather, so they were out.

May 7 is the Kentucky Derby. It would have been suicide to go in the weeks just before or that weekend. No venue had an opening for the rest of May.

That pushed us to July and the only date the venue had open. It's not ideal for someone who likes to travel and attend lots of cons because it is the weekend that runs right up to The Big One. But it is working for us. It might have limited our pool of artists we could draw, but we still put together a great guest list that we have had fantastic response to.

The bottom line, for me, was that our show is in an area that doesn't have, and hasn't had, a local show. The people that are attending and have expressed interest wouldn't have been attending SDCC anyway, so now they have something to attend. The artists I've approached, if they couldn't make it because of SDCC, have respectfully declined and asked to be contacted next year. I've only had one artist forcefully question my sanity and after I laid it out like I did above he said, "Well, good luck. Can I send you some stuff for your goodie bags?" :)

Yeah! A Louisville show! Just an hour down the road from my house.

1.5 hours, i'll be there

I'll chime in on this. I run smaller shows, in 5 different cites, they are a mix of comics, horror, anime and everything else. i only try to avoid shows that are in my area. if my show in Knoxville this years falls on the same weekend as wwphilly, but that's 10 hours away, I am not going to lose alot of the customers to that, dealers some but mainly i have local dealers that cant afford the bigger shows anyway. Now i not gonna put on a show during wwchicago or dragoncon cause i set up there, but emerald city does not factor in to my thought process, cause its on the other side of the country. i have had decent guest at all my shows, clarimont, dorman,tony moore, mack, and media guest from star wars and star trek to horrorflicks, so getting guest is bot a problem if your show is teh same time as some of the shows, now i don't want a show on NYCC weekend getting guest would be very hard, but i do have a show on SDCC weekend in louisvile thats is a pop con and we have had no trouble getting media guest. its not a comic show , so no real comic guest will be there. but the only shows i think you have to avoid is NYCC, WWchicago, DragonCon, SDCC(i know i didn't this year), and thats it most of the other shows will only cost you dealers not enough fans travel to shows that are more than 4 hours away.