• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Modern Batman Thread

842 posts in this topic

So I'm pretty tired of not talking about my favourite comic book, well the Modern version anyway. Bats has plenty of love in every other age so why not Modern? How many people out there read Bats? What do you think of Grant Morrison's huge self-wankfest over the title?

Fair enough, his Batman & Robin books were good, but personally I'll go on record as to saying his work on the Batman title was utter quoff.

What do you think of Damian? A masterstroke of a character or an annoying little codpiece? Is he going to be a major player in the Bat mythos in years to come or will he fade out into a bit-part? I reckon the Grandson of Ra's Al Ghul should have the potential to carry some major beef, his character development alongside Dick Grayson has certainly been interesting.

Has anybody actually read The Return Of Bruce Wayne? I managed to slog my way through #1 and just couldn't be bothered to carry on, is it any good? Worth picking up?

What do you think of the possibility of two Batmen?

GAV! Thank god you made this thread. I thought about making one but it seems like only ppl like to read WD and makes threads about it -__-

As you know im LOVING Grayson Batman. I love everything about Morrison's Batman & Robin run. Love Damien's relationship with Di ck.

I havent been reading return of bruce wayne. I plan on reading it in trade.

Theres an article on ifanboy about the batbooks in the future:

BOTH Grayson AND Bruce will be batman once bruce comes back! Morrison says the next bat-event is Batman INC. where hes planning on taking batman internationally. Grayson will stay as batman in gotham with Damien and bruce will take care of business outside.

http://ifanboy.com/content/articles/Bruce_Wayne_and_Dick_Grayson__Both_Batman

Bruce is also going back the the yellow oval logo costume! :o I guess to not confuse grayson batman and himself.

Really didn't like Morrisons Batman run but love Batman and Robin. I think Damien's role as Robin is great and I like Di ck Grayson as Batman.

I have been reading Return of Bruce Wayne and I must admit I have enjoyed it but It is really nothing special and a Little wierd.

Two Batmans may actually work as I have alway thought something like this could work.

I hate this multiple Batmen idea, it's just another Morrison idea that's putting the screw on the title. I mean isn't Batman supposed to be a 'creature of myth' so to speak? I know he's been around for a fair few years, but his main aim is still supposed to strike fear into criminals solely through his appearance/'mythical' status. With two of them running around simultaneously isn't that fear factor going to get watered down?

Also, isn't Bruce hell bent on cleaning up Gotham? Why the hell would he up and leave to solve international problems and leave Dick in Gotham?

The other thing that bugs me is the new suit. Fair enough, the Batsuit's been relatively unchanged for the best part of 20 years, but when Bruce returned from his broken back he made the suit as dark as could possibly be to match his mindset. He was at his darkest and cut everybody out, fast forward 20 years and he's been blindsided by Jezebel Jet, 'killed' by his 'father', and had to battle back through 100s of years to get back home, so why would he go back to the 60s yellow logo?

I just think Morrison should leave well alone now.

Plus it would be great to see a Nightwing title back out, although it will never match the Dixon/McDaniel work from the 90s. Man that was some good stuff.

oh man the chuck dixon trifecta when he was on Nightwing/Robin/Birds of Prey :cloud9:

Normally i would be totally against the multiple batmans. BUT, as a big Nightwing fan, I am totally fine with this. Because i was afraid they will kill off Di ck. Having 2 batmans means more time of Di ck Batman :)

I also hate the yellow oval uniform they are giving Bruce. I like Grants run on Batman and Robin. His batman run was ok, but hes MUCH better than Tony Daniel. Even though i love Daniel artwork.

What do you guys think of the Detective run? I havent been reading it. Its the HUSH storyline coming back correct? i plan on getting those back issues soon. The news of Snyder being on detective sounds hopeful :wishluck:

I've fallen behind with 'Tec to be honest, I need to pick up the issues after Batwoman handed back over to Batman, and I still haven't read the Batwoman issues yet. If there is a hush storyline coming back to 'Tec, I only hope that it's half as good as Dini's 'Heart of Hush', that really was a phenomonal run.

Considering Tommy Elliot is out there wearing Bruce Wayne's face it could get pretty interesting.

I read it up to about #8, and while it was a fun title it was just surplus to requirements for me. I'm not that big on Huntress ot The Question etc... Definitely not interested enough to keep buying a monthly that revolves around supporting characters I don't really care about.

If it's focusing on Tommy though I may have to start picking it up again.

Yeah I've never really been taken by them. There were some really weird one-offs in 'Tec a few years ago, I'm not sure if they were fan stories or something, but they were bloody awful. I'll have a dig through and see if I can find some.

I hate this multiple Batmen idea, it's just another Morrison idea that's putting the screw on the title. I mean isn't Batman supposed to be a 'creature of myth' so to speak? I know he's been around for a fair few years, but his main aim is still supposed to strike fear into criminals solely through his appearance/'mythical' status. With two of them running around simultaneously isn't that fear factor going to get watered down?

Also, isn't Bruce hell bent on cleaning up Gotham? Why the hell would he up and leave to solve international problems and leave Dick in Gotham?

This is why I like it! I can't quite see how having two would water down the myth or the fear. The Bad guys wouldn't know there was two, only those close to the Batmen would know and it would allow for the illusion of fear to be more substantial. They will be able to do what needs to be done in a more efficient way. I see the Myth growing when Batman can be in two places at once, when he can appear both during the night and the day and when he is beaten to a pulp at one instance and is back for the fight straight away.

I've fallen behind with 'Tec to be honest, I need to pick up the issues after Batwoman handed back over to Batman, and I still haven't read the Batwoman issues yet. If there is a hush storyline coming back to 'Tec, I only hope that it's half as good as Dini's 'Heart of Hush', that really was a phenomonal run.

Considering Tommy Elliot is out there wearing Bruce Wayne's face it could get pretty interesting.

Same hear,. only ever read Tec when it crosses over into Batman or has a storyline that I am told I must read :sorry:

Same hear,. only ever read Tec when it crosses over into Batman or has a storyline that I am told I must read :sorry:

From what I've heard Gaz the Batwoman run is very good reading. I may make a start on them over the weekend as it's something I've been meaning to do for a long time.

I've read some of it ...Not all of it though yet ... I'm really highly unimpressed with the entire story book & even art so far :S The only batman book I'm really enjoying right now is red robin :)

Very enjoyable book I find that one to be! With that recent image of batman as a white lantern I'm wondering just how they are going to bring bruce back as well ... I already have that batman cover on order with BB :D

The only batman book I'm really enjoying right now is red robin :)

oh man your soo right about red robin! Red Robin has been AWESOME! love the last storyline with Ras al guhl and the marcus to art is AMAZING!

Tim Drake is such a formidable guy. As much as it pains me, Hes probably a more complete Batman than Di ck is. Di ck will mop the floor with tim if those 2 ever fought but tim's detective skills are so much closer to Bruce than Di ck is. Di ck is no slouch by anything but tim's personality and abilities are closer to bruce than Di ck. Di ck is the absolute opposite of Bruce, and maybe the ONLY person capable of teaching Damien the tricks of the trade since hes so nice. Which is why im enjoying Di ck as Batman and why hes my favorite hero :)

From what I've heard Gaz the Batwoman run is very good reading. I may make a start on them over the weekend as it's something I've been meaning to do for a long time.

I may have to get a copy of each and give them a read. I am really enjoying the DC universe at the mo, just a bit tired of Marvel and although I love all the independents I just like something a bit more super heroy (I know its not a word but hey who cares)

Very indifferent to Morrison's Batman run. I had high hopes considering how well he used the character in his early JLA run. I keep hoping there will be some enormous payoff for what seems to be perpetual rising action, but I'm not so sure. My biggest complaint with Morrison's run so far is that it just sort of meanders.

I'll reserve final judgment until they wrap up the return of Bruce, but I think the whole process reads somewhat forced, then again, most status shakeups usually do.

I like Batman and Robin, I like the role reversals with 's Batman bringing balance to Damien's Robin. Certainly one of my favorite monthlies.

I love Batman and his villians but can never seem to get going on the books. I read the first couple Batman & Robins which were good but I just drifted away. I picked up Batman 700 but think I could have spent that 4.99 better. I read Blackest Night: Batman (before reading BN at all) and really loved that. So much so that I bought a few pages. I think I'm going to give B&R another shot. Good thread!

BN batman was a good read I thought as well :) I must say I enjoy the dynamics of batman & Drobin just not enough to really read the books right now I'll most likely pick up the stuff in trades ... Maybe start reading again once bruce comes back as a white lantern hahah :D

The only batman book I'm really enjoying right now is red robin :)

oh man your soo right about red robin! Red Robin has been AWESOME! love the last storyline with Ras al guhl and the marcus to art is AMAZING!

Tim Drake is such a formidable guy. As much as it pains me, Hes probably a more complete Batman than Di ck is. Di ck will mop the floor with tim if those 2 ever fought but tim's detective skills are so much closer to Bruce than Di ck is. Di ck is no slouch by anything but tim's personality and abilities are closer to bruce than Di ck. Di ck is the absolute opposite of Bruce, and maybe the ONLY person capable of teaching Damien the tricks of the trade since hes so nice. Which is why im enjoying Di ck as Batman and why hes my favorite hero :)

You said it! I've always felt tim is hardcore but now he is really showing it! He would make a much more bruce styled batman than d ck does indeed because he can really put the fear vibe out :D