• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Modern Batman Thread

842 posts in this topic

I actually thought Tony Daniel's Black Mask run was a pretty good storyline. Well written and drawn and back to the basics of a Batman book. And if you didn't check out Batman #686 and 'Tec #853 (Neil Gaiman's Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader), I'd highly recommend it (thumbs u

So from what I can tell, this is how it's going to run.

Bruce Wayne is going to be Batman.

Dick Grayson is going to be Batman.

Bruce will have the yellow thing around his chest bat.

Dick will not.

Damian Wayne will be Robin.

Bruce is going to handle the worldwide franchising in Batman, Inc.

Dick is going to remain the Batman for Gotham City.

Dick 'Batman' Grayson will be featured in Scott Snyder and Jock's Detective Comics, Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason's Batman and Robin, and Tony Daniel's Batman.

Bruce 'Batman' Wayne will be featured in Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette's Batman, Inc. and the David Finch written and drawn Batman: The Dark Knight.

Everything above is correct sir :)

I actually enjoyed daniels black mask run as well. I love daniel's artistic interpretation of grayson batman. The story had the feeling of old school detective work also.

I was indifferent about gaimans story. I see how it can be an excellent story but not my taste like morrison with you.

I was indifferent about gaimans story. I see how it can be an excellent story but not my taste like morrison with you.

Different strokes eh? (thumbs u

I loved it so much I did this:

Batman686-1.jpg

Tec853Variant.jpg

Different strokes eh? (thumbs u

I loved it so much I did this:

Batman686-1.jpg

Tec853Variant.jpg

Awesome Batman books Gav :applause:

I really love the red sig on the sketch cover (thumbs u

Awesome Batman books Gav :applause:

I really love the red sig on the sketch cover (thumbs u

That book is most definitely a keeper. Gaiman's sig in red just really made it, and it's still the only SS book I own to date. There may be a Kelley Jones SS on its way though, and maybe the Modern Bats thread may take an unexpected turn in creator content then!

Do I love me some Kelley Jones Bats... :cloud9:

Damian though, in my opinion, bothers me, because of issue where he nearly kills Tim Drake/Wayne twice... actually I really dislike the fact that they have Tim not gaining any type of upper-hand on D. Grayson, Damian, or even Jason Todd, but I am getting off subject. I digress. I like Damian and yet, dislike him for personal reasons relating to Tim... though I love that Morrison is handling Damian, so I approve.

I disagree on your statement that Tim hasnt gained any upperhand on Di ck. During the Ressurection of Ras ah guhl storyline, Nightwing himself admitted that hes not the detective that Tim is. To be honest thats the ONLY thing Tim can get the upperhand on Di ck cause Di ck was born the natural leader and superb athlete. Tim beats di ck on brains. Theres no way Tim can beat Di ck in a fight. I doubt he ever will.

Tim has only fought Jason twice and jason mopped the floor with tim each time. Tims got a long way to be a better fighter. In a long dragout fight Tim will outsmart everyone.

I see where your going with Damien, but at the time where Damien almost killed Tim twice, he was still under the influence of the League of assassins. He was a natural born killer. Of course he would want to kill Tim. But he has transformed and thats what Grant wants us to see. Damiens journey from killer to true hero :cloud9:

:sumo: Hiyo!

Ok, here where I get misunderstood... talking about the fact that they always having Tim Drake/Wayne either completely lose the fight and/or almost dies.

Tim has fought the League of Assassin, Ra's Al Ghul (Though with Batman/Bruce), Shiva, Cassandra Cain (Cannot tell me you forgot that great arc during her... join me Tim phase), the training/recruitment by those military guys when Tim was in Bludhaven... countless other situations, but recently they have been beating Tim down again-and-again and it bothers the out of me.

I mean geez, twice Damien almost kills Tim... Cass can whip D. Grayson, only if she really wants to, but they would probably have Tim helpless against Grayson. Tim fighting Jason Todd is a joke nowadays, because they will never let Tim even look like he can take him... it is just getting repetitively frustrating to me that gives me a feeling that they gonna push the Tim Drake future of him going evil or a type of evil, but the type where Tim is just tired of being the detective brain, but is soft to the touch.

Get what I mean? I mean, even the Clock-dude leading up to the Final Crisis in Teen Titans books cleaned Tim's clock (Forgive the pun) and darn-near killed him.

I just worry the path they seem to have Tim going down... reminds me of a young-Jason Todd though that actually uses his brain, but for this being Tim; gets his butt almost killed every time he goes up against someone.

P.S.

Not saying I want Tim capable of beating the out of his family, but even out the fight scenes... he has come a long way and I am just looking for them to show that growth I know is there for all the Tim has gone through.

Batman and Detective are both my favorites. But I didn't care for the Batwoman run in Det. Glad its back to Batman stories. And not a fan of Question either. They could do without that character as far as I'm concerned. Batman and Robin have been pretty good stories too. I'm ok with the changes going on as long as they stay within whats happened in the past. I hate when they suddenly stop a series and start up as if the past issues didn't exist. Right now Bats are my favorite comics.

Damian though, in my opinion, bothers me, because of issue where he nearly kills Tim Drake/Wayne twice... actually I really dislike the fact that they have Tim not gaining any type of upper-hand on D. Grayson, Damian, or even Jason Todd, but I am getting off subject. I digress. I like Damian and yet, dislike him for personal reasons relating to Tim... though I love that Morrison is handling Damian, so I approve.

I disagree on your statement that Tim hasnt gained any upperhand on Di ck. During the Ressurection of Ras ah guhl storyline, Nightwing himself admitted that hes not the detective that Tim is. To be honest thats the ONLY thing Tim can get the upperhand on Di ck cause Di ck was born the natural leader and superb athlete. Tim beats di ck on brains. Theres no way Tim can beat Di ck in a fight. I doubt he ever will.

Tim has only fought Jason twice and jason mopped the floor with tim each time. Tims got a long way to be a better fighter. In a long dragout fight Tim will outsmart everyone.

I see where your going with Damien, but at the time where Damien almost killed Tim twice, he was still under the influence of the League of assassins. He was a natural born killer. Of course he would want to kill Tim. But he has transformed and thats what Grant wants us to see. Damiens journey from killer to true hero :cloud9:

:sumo: Hiyo!

Ok, here where I get misunderstood... talking about the fact that they always having Tim Drake/Wayne either completely lose the fight and/or almost dies.

Tim has fought the League of Assassin, Ra's Al Ghul (Though with Batman/Bruce), Shiva, Cassandra Cain (Cannot tell me you forgot that great arc during her... join me Tim phase), the training/recruitment by those military guys when Tim was in Bludhaven... countless other situations, but recently they have been beating Tim down again-and-again and it bothers the out of me.

I mean geez, twice Damien almost kills Tim... Cass can whip D. Grayson, only if she really wants to, but they would probably have Tim helpless against Grayson. Tim fighting Jason Todd is a joke nowadays, because they will never let Tim even look like he can take him... it is just getting repetitively frustrating to me that gives me a feeling that they gonna push the Tim Drake future of him going evil or a type of evil, but the type where Tim is just tired of being the detective brain, but is soft to the touch.

Get what I mean? I mean, even the Clock-dude leading up to the Final Crisis in Teen Titans books cleaned Tim's clock (Forgive the pun) and darn-near killed him.

I just worry the path they seem to have Tim going down... reminds me of a young-Jason Todd though that actually uses his brain, but for this being Tim; gets his butt almost killed every time he goes up against someone.

P.S.

Not saying I want Tim capable of beating the out of his family, but even out the fight scenes... he has come a long way and I am just looking for them to show that growth I know is there for all the Tim has gone through.

ahh i see what your saying. I think its total BS that damien can almost kill Tim also. Tim should easily kick damien's .

In all fairness, and please feel free to chime in. I personally stopped reading Batman when Jim Lee (or Frank Miller) decided not to finish the ALL STAR Batman run. I was really liking the series, even though it did not depict your typical "Batman" persona.

To me, it introduced a "darker" knight than we were all used to. I think that's why is was called "All Star" meaning, Balls To The Wire Batman.

Because of this series, I picked up HUSH (Jim Lee is my favorite artist). After reading the run, I compaired it to the current Morrison/Harris trend in Batman. Am I the only who's confused with the events that occured after Final Crisis and Blackest Night? I've seen Batman face some weird situations before, but now I'm lead to believe that Batman (Bruce Wayne) is stuck in some time tabel portal and will somehow make his way back to the real world by the help of some psycho doctor who's built a time portal machine? Can anyone say Marvel Secret Wars here?

Also, there are way too many Batman tie in titles with Batman/Robin, Red Robin, Red Hood, Return of Bruce Wayne ect..

Simplicity sometimes works, believe me, it's sometimes easier to be simple than unravel a world of confusion where readers don't know where to begin or end.

So, what do I think of Modern Batman? Without Bruce Wayne, he is nothing.

In all fairness, and please feel free to chime in. I personally stopped reading Batman when Jim Lee (or Frank Miller) decided not to finish the ALL STAR Batman run. I was really liking the series, even though it did not depict your typical "Batman" persona.

To me, it introduced a "darker" knight than we were all used to. I think that's why is was called "All Star" meaning, Balls To The Wire Batman.

I thought that ASB&R was a complete mess to be honest, and I seriously thought that Miller had lost the plot. I know it was out of continuity and was not the Batman that we all know and love, but it was just way too far out there for me. I've often wondered why it wasn't finished, perhaps Miller realised just how bad it was turning out?

Because of this series, I picked up HUSH (Jim Lee is my favorite artist). After reading the run, I compaired it to the current Morrison/Harris trend in Batman. Am I the only who's confused with the events that occured after Final Crisis and Blackest Night? I've seen Batman face some weird situations before, but now I'm lead to believe that Batman (Bruce Wayne) is stuck in some time tabel portal and will somehow make his way back to the real world by the help of some psycho doctor who's built a time portal machine? Can anyone say Marvel Secret Wars here?

If you haven't been steeped in the Bat title over the last two to three years you'll have no idea what's going on. I think this is why I can't stand Morrison's stuff, it's so cryptic and sprawls out over so many titles it becomes ridiculous. I hate multi-title crossovers and storylines as I only primarily like to collect Batman and 'Tec. I can't help but compare back to my favourite era of Batbooks (Moench and Jones on Batman, Dixon and Nolan on 'Tec) when you could pick up virtually any book and enjoy reading it, not have to try to decipher what the hell is going on.

Also, there are way too many Batman tie in titles with Batman/Robin, Red Robin, Red Hood, Return of Bruce Wayne ect..

As I've already mentioned, I'm in total agreement with you here.

Simplicity sometimes works, believe me, it's sometimes easier to be simple than unravel a world of confusion where readers don't know where to begin or end.

Spot on. What always stupifies me is that when The Dark Knight was released interest in Batman was at the highest it had been for years. So what was the jump on point for potential new readers? A 'Batman is going to die in the Batman title!' storyline, not exactly the thing that would make you want to stick with the title is it?

And then of course Batman didn't die in the Bat title, but in that years 'event'. Yet another crossover cash cow that was abysmally planned. Oh and of course, the missing bit between Batman #681 and Final Crisis #6 came out... last month.

Utterly ridiculous.

While these were my original thoughts, I have to admit that Dick Grayson taking up the mantle has been handled pretty well in most books. It's not like it's something that hasn't been done before, but it's been fresh.

What I'm not looking forward to is Batman Inc. That to me is just a step too far.

ASBR is totally non canon and i dont consider it anything at all to be honest. I still buy it due to Jim Lee but other than that the storyline is retarded.

Jim Lee is your favorite artist? ewwww :roflmao: Blackest Night was good but had nothing to do with Bruce Wayne at all. Im not reading return of Bruce wayne so have no clue.

Batman is DC's cash cow. Hes the Marvel Wolverine/Deadpool :)

To fully understand, you would have to read from the beginning of morrison's run. Starting from Batman and son storyline, Return of Ras, Black Glove, RIP, Battle for the cowl, then Batman & Robin. Its a lot of reading but your fine with starting at Batman & Robin just knowing Bruce is away.

Utterly ridiculous.

We are no longer friends Adonis :sumo: . Di ck Grayson Batman is AWESOME!

Have you ever read something where the art was that bad you wanted to stick lighted cigarettes into your eyes to ease the pain.

Or the writing was so inane and juvenile you had to read 10 Archie books from the 1950's just to regain some intellectual stimulus.

That's how I felt after suffering through the first two issues of Batman Odyssey.