• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Modern Batman Thread

842 posts in this topic

Have you ever read something where the art was that bad you wanted to stick lighted cigarettes into your eyes to ease the pain.

Or the writing was so inane and juvenile you had to read 10 Archie books from the 1950's just to regain some intellectual stimulus.

That's how I felt after suffering through the first two issues of Batman Odyssey.

:roflmao: Neal adams is a CRAZY man... :insane:

Bruce is too complicated to have 1 true love. He tried many times but he puts his missions beyond his hearts desire. Grayson on the other hand is a TRUE LADIES MAN. But everyone knows he will always have Barbara.

I agree with you that Tim needs to be on Bruce's side once bruce returns. I hope its Di ck and Damien, and Bruce and Tim. I hope time follows bruce when he returns because that pairing was excellent. Tim and Di ck pairing would never work because Di ck respects too much of tim and sees tim as an equal so that mentor relationship will not work as well hence him picking Damien over tim has his robin.

Detective Comics is returning to Batman now with Snyder as the writer and hes been good. I think it will be centered around Di ck batman however which is still cool.

When it comes to having 2 batmen, Im cool with it BUT you guys remember in Batman #666, the future issue where Damien sees the death of a Batman and then takes over as the new batman? Im afraid Morrison is preparing us to see Grayson killed in front of Damien... :( i hope this isnt the case.

:sumo: Hiyo!

Very interesting... sadly, lost my job before I was able to pick-up missing back-issues; because when I got back into comics been going backwards in picking up back-issues and it was the next in the line... for I pick-up back issues in 25-issue bulks.

Oh I wouldn't argue that, it would stupid arguing facts. I just don't understand it. I've heard people say 'Oh I love Morrison's stuff' and then virtually in the next breath admit they have absolutely no idea what's been going on. I have a problem with Batman being written so cryptically, it really doesn't need to be. Batman and Robin isn't (or wasn't at least, I haven't bought it since issue #9), and I thought his stuff on that title was pretty good. Did you catch that Unrested Spectre?

As for the mention of Winnick, I hated his stuff on the Bat title. But the issues he wrote following the RIP mess were fantastic, especially the issue pencilled by Ed Benes.

... you sure do know how to get a reaction out of me. You are like my Eclipso, always we will be adversaries; Boozad.

Anyways... Morrison is not so crypted, he explains everything in the end. You just seem to choose to overlook it.

P.S.

Have not gotten through all of Winnick's run on Batman-title, but his work I caught in Trials of SHAZAM! was great/awesome!

In all fairness, and please feel free to chime in. I personally stopped reading Batman when Jim Lee (or Frank Miller) decided not to finish the ALL STAR Batman run. I was really liking the series, even though it did not depict your typical "Batman" persona.

To me, it introduced a "darker" knight than we were all used to. I think that's why is was called "All Star" meaning, Balls To The Wire Batman.

I thought that ASB&R was a complete mess to be honest, and I seriously thought that Miller had lost the plot. I know it was out of continuity and was not the Batman that we all know and love, but it was just way too far out there for me. I've often wondered why it wasn't finished, perhaps Miller realised just how bad it was turning out?

Because of this series, I picked up HUSH (Jim Lee is my favorite artist). After reading the run, I compaired it to the current Morrison/Harris trend in Batman. Am I the only who's confused with the events that occured after Final Crisis and Blackest Night? I've seen Batman face some weird situations before, but now I'm lead to believe that Batman (Bruce Wayne) is stuck in some time tabel portal and will somehow make his way back to the real world by the help of some psycho doctor who's built a time portal machine? Can anyone say Marvel Secret Wars here?

If you haven't been steeped in the Bat title over the last two to three years you'll have no idea what's going on. I think this is why I can't stand Morrison's stuff, it's so cryptic and sprawls out over so many titles it becomes ridiculous. I hate multi-title crossovers and storylines as I only primarily like to collect Batman and 'Tec. I can't help but compare back to my favourite era of Batbooks (Moench and Jones on Batman, Dixon and Nolan on 'Tec) when you could pick up virtually any book and enjoy reading it, not have to try to decipher what the hell is going on.

Also, there are way too many Batman tie in titles with Batman/Robin, Red Robin, Red Hood, Return of Bruce Wayne ect..

As I've already mentioned, I'm in total agreement with you here.

Simplicity sometimes works, believe me, it's sometimes easier to be simple than unravel a world of confusion where readers don't know where to begin or end.

Spot on. What always stupifies me is that when The Dark Knight was released interest in Batman was at the highest it had been for years. So what was the jump on point for potential new readers? A 'Batman is going to die in the Batman title!' storyline, not exactly the thing that would make you want to stick with the title is it?

And then of course Batman didn't die in the Bat title, but in that years 'event'. Yet another crossover cash cow that was abysmally planned. Oh and of course, the missing bit between Batman #681 and Final Crisis #6 came out... last month.

Utterly ridiculous.

So, what do I think of Modern Batman? Without Bruce Wayne, he is nothing.

While these were my original thoughts, I have to admit that Dick Grayson taking up the mantle has been handled pretty well in most books. It's not like it's something that hasn't been done before, but it's been fresh.

What I'm not looking forward to is Batman Inc. That to me is just a step too far.

Sorry if you are tired of hearing from me... :hi:

rantrant - One... All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder will be foreven enshrine as another Frank Miller milestone that rivaled/may top All-Star Superman, though not necessarily, because we talking two different characters. What Miller did was bring back the Heroes of DC back to the original roots to why they are who they are and not filtered to be politicily-correct, but true sense of the actual character and reactions.

rantrant - Two... It is not that cryptic in R.I.P. then an episode of Law & Order where you have ton of suspects, evidence, victims, and motives to where anything can happen; Grant Morrison makes us vet all suspects, evidence, victims, and motives and does not just do it for us... he wants to open your mind and not just read to read another Batman story-arc; because he is building something on a large-scale that will blow our minds! Thats what comics suppose to do!

rantrant - Three... Yeah there is a lot of tie-ins and spin-offs, but that is the nature of the business now; they need to make bank or more nowadays. Also, this is DC and not Marvel... continuity is there in DC so you can follow just who your favorite is, but for the major/slightly important events you may be out in the dark on some details, but it is not like DC never re-tells or explain some issues that gives a somewhat insight that has happen in the DC Universe.

rantrant - Final... I am tired people saying, because of those completely and utter garbage recent movies, The Dark Knight and the one before it, that Grant Morrison story-arc should have been put on hold. Those movies was garbage and are nothing from the comics! Secondly, R.I.P. was built as life-changing event that will rock the Batman-family... was he suppose to die? NO! Grant has never said that Bruce was gonna die in his title before or while he was doing the major-event... Final Crisis! Everyone thought they did, because of Batman-title's past... also due to some comic-reviewers and websites that drew there own conclusion that colored the opinion of the readers before more than 3 issues of the story-arc was released. What kind of sense would it have made if they made him died in Batman-title then appeared to be alive and die again in Final Crisis... cause then we would have a real continuity-issue with DC!

P.S.

Sure I give you that DC has release-issues, but that does not excuse you for overlooking the plainly obvious, when all you have to do is read it or read it again.

something tells me you like green lantern

When I read the oaths... I get so hyped from it, :insane: !

Sinestro's Corps oath is my favorite.

Second best goes to Red Lantern's oath!

Tie for third is Black Lantern's oath (If what I have for it, is correct) and Green Lantern's oath.

P.S.

Glad Oneasian is still around! Miss you man!

Have you ever read something where the art was that bad you wanted to stick lighted cigarettes into your eyes to ease the pain.

Or the writing was so inane and juvenile you had to read 10 Archie books from the 1950's just to regain some intellectual stimulus.

That's how I felt after suffering through the first two issues of Batman Odyssey.

I take it you didn't read #1 before buying #2?

#1 was weird....

Weird enough for me to not want to read any more of it. Terribly written and terribly drawn, it was a big effort just to get through to the end.

Spot on. What always stupifies me is that when The Dark Knight was released interest in Batman was at the highest it had been for years. So what was the jump on point for potential new readers? A 'Batman is going to die in the Batman title!' storyline, not exactly the thing that would make you want to stick with the title is it?

You're right, all previously laid out plans should have changed when Heath Ledger died. :eyeroll:

Prior to that unfortunate event, The Dark Knight was just a sequel to a good Batman movie.

The point being: if DC didn't see Batman comic sales increase AND maintain that level of sales when Batman Begins was released, why would they change anything for the sequel?

And then of course Batman didn't die

Fixed. Although in most comics, disappearing for a while and dying are pretty much the same thing.

You're right, all previously laid out plans should have changed when Heath Ledger died. :eyeroll:

Prior to that unfortunate event, The Dark Knight was just a sequel to a good Batman movie.

The point being: if DC didn't see Batman comic sales increase AND maintain that level of sales when Batman Begins was released, why would they change anything for the sequel?

Considering that sales of the title actually dropped following The Dark Knight points to something don't you think? Whether it was the major balls up that was happening with the deadlines for the Batbooks and Final Crisis, Morrison's story itself or any other numerous amount of factors, I'll never be able to answer that.

But facts are facts, and sales on the title did drop. And I never attributed any of that to Heath Ledger dying, in fact I daresay that had absolutely nothing to do with it. But I'm pretty sure would have known well before hand that a much anticipated movie being released would be at the same time the character being 'killed off' in his own monthly title.

How would anybody who loved the movie and thought 'Hey, I'll go read some Batman comics' be enthusiastic about reading about his possible ending?

And then of course Batman didn't die

Fixed. Although in most comics, disappearing for a while and dying are pretty much the same thing.

Yep, I know he didn't die at all, although we were led to believe he had for a short time at the hands of Darkseid in an event that had nothing to do with the unfortunately named R.I.P.

And yes, even if he had have died I would never argue the fact that he'd have been resurrected at some point. Just like Jason Todd. :eyeroll:

Got both books together - that Scadge is some dealer.

So does anyone know in what book does bruce return in ?.. I've been following and hating the return of bruce mini series ... I don't think anything is actually going to come out of that one ... & then we have that brightest day #13-14 image of white lantern batman :D

Reading the recent previews for this month they already have books that say he is back! Also it looks like I called it on there being two batmen :)

I still read Batman, Batman and robin, red robin, batgirl.

Ive dropped tec since it was batwoman run. i also dropped streets of gotham and gotham city sirens.

I totally ignore the out of continuity books like batman confidential and batman oddessy.

I still read Batman, Batman and robin, red robin, batgirl.

Ive dropped tec since it was batwoman run. i also dropped streets of gotham and gotham city sirens.

I totally ignore the out of continuity books like batman confidential and batman oddessy.

Odyssey is one of the best ones out there at the moment!!