• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic store owner shoots robbery suspects..again

155 posts in this topic

I've been in similar situations. Never killed a person, but certainly beat the pudding out of people for trying to do stupid stuff like that.

I can understand why the owner felt the need to shoot these guys. It sends a message out to any other potential thieves that he isn't messing around.

Also, I missed the comments about the criminals past and future victims, there's a lot of posts here so maybe I missed them. Criminals don't stop with one robbery, they reach out and touch many people's lives with their special talent.

right, and it's generally over a few hundred stolen so they can buy scratch offs or car parts.

A lawyer might be able to make a better case in a civil court for damages but I think a criminal court would find for the shop owner. Most people still don't feel very bad when a criminal gets shot, breaking into a home or business... myself included.

Breaking into his house I would have no problem with him shooting the perp but sleeping in and staking out the store at night seems to be more of a gray area. Kinda like hunting season, let`s wait here for someone to rob our store tonite and we will shoot and kill them. That to me is a little different then someone breaking into someone`s house at night and them being shot as homeowners are trying to protect family and friends.

What if next time a woman or a teen tries to rob his store and he kills them as well?

That`s why this has to be looked at. See its a adult male, so most people just say good job he got the scum but what if next time a 15 year old tries to steal some pokemon cards off him and then he kills that 15 year old kid as well?That`s why its a gray area and should be looked at.

WTTB! I dont know why people cant just have their own opinions without being called ignorant? Personally I think that we lost our way years ago. Any person can make any decision in life if they are hard for cash, this decision was a poor one. If the guy who owned the shop was killed then what? He should have had alarms? Any number of things could have happened in this scenario, this is just how it played out. I dont feel any remorse for any man who would steal from another man. There is ALWAYS another way, so dont come at me with some turn the other cheek nonsense. The man protected his property, IMO he was doing the right thing.

And if you could, let me know the percentage of criminals who leave the scene of a breaking and entering job and are later caught by the police? I would love to know how many cases end up with the criminal later being caught and the victims posessions returned.

Pat, possessions come and go.

Lives don't.

The issue isn't that the owner wasn't entitled to 'defend' his property. My problem will always be with using a level of force commensurate with the 'crime' and level of danger.

Oh, and there will be many here that were nothing like angels when they were young and yet grew up into responsible members of society. Just because you're an arse when you're young doesn't mean you need to be wiped from the gene pool.

My step son is almost 19 and has been locked up off and on since he was 13....mostly B&E and assault. He's out now and actually has a job and a serious girlfriend. He's doing good now and his attitude is much more mature. I think he may have finally turned the corner. I'm SO glad no one whacked him while he was doing something stupid. Ironically, we came home unexpectedly last week to find one of his old friends with his arse hanging out of my boy's window....attempting to make off with his PS3. We made him return the items but let him go....although we did tell my son and also the boy's parents. Young people can be VERY stupid. I was a real POS in my day.....but finally woke up. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Here in the State of Florida we have teh castle law. If your going to break the law you should consider that there are consequences. If someone was to break into my property my first reaction is to shoot them, then call the police to come write it up and remove the body. So yeah this store owner gets a thumbs up for hitting one, thumbs down for missing the other.

very true, but you cant fire your weapon if the person is running away... Wish there was more details to the story

Drag the bloody corpse back into your castle.

A lawyer might be able to make a better case in a civil court for damages but I think a criminal court would find for the shop owner. Most people still don't feel very bad when a criminal gets shot, breaking into a home or business... myself included.

Breaking into his house I would have no problem with him shooting the perp but sleeping in and staking out the store at night seems to be more of a gray area. Kinda like hunting season, let`s wait here for someone to rob our store tonite and we will shoot and kill them. That to me is a little different then someone breaking into someone house at night and trying to protect family and friends.

What if next time a woman or a teen tries to rob his store and he kills them as well?

That`s why this has to be looked at. See its a adult male, so most people just say good job he got the scum but what if a 15 year old tries to steal some pokemon cards off him and then he kills that 15 year old kid as well?That`s why its a gray area and should be looked at.

Yes he wanted to send a messeage out to people who want to rob him of a few hundred dollars. That's why he he aims for the head rather then the leg. I still want to know why he can't put security bars on his doors and windows.

That`s why this has to be looked at. See its a male, so most people just say good job he got the scum but what if a 15 year old tries to steal some pokemon cards off him and then he kills that 15 year old kid as well?That`s why its a gray area and should be looked at.

Women and teens are no different. If they choose to be thugs, they are thugs. A couple 15 year olds this year, here in Minneapolis, smashed an adults brains out, then put him in a pond.

Last year three teens (all under 18 I think) walked in to a store and started shooting people, they killed one of the store owners.

The notion that some good natured kids are going to come along and bust in to place just to steal some pokemon cards is not very likely. I hope they would realize what they are risking.

Just wondering what the comments would be on here if the headline was: Comic Shop Owner Shot & Killed By Burglars. hm

I would think he would be rather dumb hanging out in his store at 3:00 a.m. without protection when he could have easily taken all of his really valuable items home with him.

It comes down to the owner fearing for his life... home or business is really irrelevant to me because the owner has the the right to be in either and not be bothered by men, women, teens, the Taliban, etc.. My advice is if you're going to break into someone's home or business, be prepared to get shot. And since dead men tell no tales, be prepared to be a dead man. I won't feel sorry for you or your family because I'm worried about me and my family. Do I support business owners waiting around for thieves and blowing them away? No, I don't. Is it a gray area? No, it comes down to fearing for your life (or saying you did) and that's black or white. So, don't go breaking into businesses at 3 am and you'll live a lot longer.

Just wondering what the comments would be on here if the headline was: Comic Shop Owner Shot & Killed By Burglars. hm

I would think he would be rather dumb hanging out in his store at 3:00 a.m. without protection when he could have easily taken all of his really valuable items home with him.

So he now needs to take all of the comics/cards that he considers valuable home with him???

WTTB! I dont know why people cant just have their own opinions without being called ignorant?

Because holding certain opinions makes you ignorant. How else would you define "ignorant" other than lacking in wisdom and knowledge?

And how do you recognize such a lack? When someone holds an opinion that is contradicted by either known facts or common sense.

I recognize that everyone has the "right" to their own opinion. That does not in any way imply that all opinions are equally valid.

I think liberals are IGNORANT because they can't understand basic conservative values. But try convincing one of that. They seem to always be right.

The above poster makes my point. He thinks he is right and everyone else is ignorant. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. again IMO

Umm...everyone thinks they're right. Otherwise, they would change their opinion. I'm no different than you in that regard.

But to be clear:

1) Thinking all liberals, or all black people, or all anybody, are ignorant is the height of ignorance. I don't label groups and attack them, as you seem to do, I respond to individuals and the thoughts that they post.

2) I didn't say everyone else is wrong. Just a few posters in this thread. And there were several that agreed with at least parts of what I said. Obviously, I don't think they're wrong. Stop generalizing if you want to be taken seriously.

Chris, read my post agian. I never said you think everyone else is wrong. you said everyone with an opinion different from yours is ignorant.

With regard to my opinion of liberal ideals, I can't help it. call me shallow

If some liberals "can't understand conservative values" I'm guessing it's because some conservatives can't either. And anybody who says a blanket statement like "(all) liberals are ignorant" is one of those clueless people who call themselves "conservative" without having any idea what it really means.

It may be "conservative" to say you should have the freedom to use lethal force against anyone whom you legitimately feel poses a physical threat to you in your own home. In fact, this so-called "liberal" (called that not by myself but others) believes you should be able to do that, and has a couple of weapons in the house if it should become necessary.

But it is not "conservative" or civilized or even mentally stable to lie in wait, foregoing all readily available non-lethal options for protecting your property, so you can kill someone who posed no physical harm to you.

The confusion about what being "conservative" means is something that always grows foggier when people smell the potential for swaying their votes, and big money spends vast fortunes hoping to convince people that it means something it doesn't really mean.

The first example

So he now needs to take all of the comics/cards that he considers valuable home with him???

I've been to his store he doesn't have many valuable comics. Mostly just new books with variants behind his glass. How hard could it be to take home cards fer chrissake?