• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman 313 Cover - Hammers at $71,200 on Ebay

263 posts in this topic

Damn, look at that sucker go.

It almost makes me wish I would have bid higher on that page on Ebay a couple years ago that Matt Ellis was selling, the one that went for around $7500, the one that some poseur won and then reneged on paying for.

Lost opportunities all around I guess.

Umm, welcome to the boards I guess...

I happened across that tonight and was really surprised at the number of bids and how high it was.

I'm sure I'm in the minority when I say this... overrated artist and a bad cover to boot.

well, everyone here knows that concerning your feelings about this piece that I add +1

Should be interesting to hear what stories come out about this guy after the auction ends. I'm sure it's 100% legit but I'm already starting to hear things...

True,

I am shocked the auction is still running being that he states he won't take paypal at all for the auction which is a violation of EBay rules that will get any auction pulled.

However, I doubt any winner with an ounce of brains would do anything other than jump on a plane and meet this guy to pick it up in person.

McFarlane overrated in what sense? Dynamism? Ability to sell comics? Insane popularity in his time? Inspiring the next generation of Spidey artists? Nostalgic pull with fans 20 Years later? I mean give me a friggin' break already.

I'm so sick of all the haters on these boards who continue to disrespect the most important artist of his generation. And why? Because the guy didn't draw perfect anatomy? Kirby and Ditko (whom I both love and respect) weren't exactly Frazetta or (Insert your favorite EC guy here) when it came to drawing the human figure either. Both took liberties in the name of style and dynamism and both of those artists are held up as gods (rightfully so) by the very same nay sayers.

Seems a bit hypocritical to me, no?

At the very least it looks a helluva lot like "loving to hate the popular guy" which is just plain immature, especially in a public forum. I mean if the guy isn't exactly your cup of tea don't buy his comics, or his art and leave it at that. But please can the back handed comments in a thread surrounding an auction that could possibly approach six figures, with people literally falling all over themselves to land the piece.

The guy's art sparked something in fans, and meant alot to alot of people at an important time in their lives which is why his art will probably set records over the next couple of decades. Please show an inkling of respect.

Ken Rodgers

Damn, look at that sucker go.

It almost makes me wish I would have bid higher on that page on Ebay a couple years ago that Matt Ellis was selling, the one that went for around $7500, the one that some poseur won and then reneged on paying for.

Lost opportunities all around I guess.

Man, what kind of total d-bag would do something like that?

At the very least it looks a helluva lot like "loving to hate the popular guy" which is just plain immature, especially in a public forum. I mean if the guy isn't exactly your cup of tea don't buy his comics, or his art and leave it at that. But please can the back handed comments in a thread surrounding an auction that could possibly approach six figures, with people literally falling all over themselves to land the piece.

The guy's art sparked something in fans, and meant alot to alot of people at an important time in their lives which is why his art will probably set records over the next couple of decades. Please show an inkling of respect.

How about disliking a guy who was an intolerable braggart a-hole during the 1990s? I not only don't care for his work, but I dislike his personality even more.

McFarlane overrated in what sense? Dynamism? Ability to sell comics? Insane popularity in his time? Inspiring the next generation of Spidey artists? Nostalgic pull with fans 20 Years later? I mean give me a friggin' break already.

I'm so sick of all the haters on these boards who continue to disrespect the most important artist of his generation. And why? Because the guy didn't draw perfect anatomy? Kirby and Ditko (whom I both love and respect) weren't exactly Frazetta or (Insert your favorite EC guy here) when it came to drawing the human figure either. Both took liberties in the name of style and dynamism and both of those artists are held up as gods (rightfully so) by the very same nay sayers.

Seems a bit hypocritical to me, no?

Ken Rodgers

I hold McFarlane responsible for everything that went wrong with comics in the 90's. So say what you will, but this isn't some "loving to hate" scenerio. How many worthless hoards of drek are out there that tried to copy what Todd was doing? I admitted I was probably in the minority with my statement which should have been fair enough for you.

I don't care for (most) Kirby and Ditko either but at least those two didn't drag down and nearly destroy an entire industry.

Is that the story behind kk? Why would he reneg? He is such an art bull it seems funny he would miss out on the rewards of his predictions.

He put in a thrill bid that he figured there was no chance the page would sell at. Unfortunately for him, it ended up being the high bid. So when it came time to pay for said piece, he refused stating that he wasn't aware, at the time he placed his bid, that the seller was an "enemy" of his.

She's got a whole "Mary Hart Entertainment Tonight Circa 1989" thing going on in that page. Nice

Is that the story behind kk? Why would he reneg? He is such an art bull it seems funny he would miss out on the rewards of his predictions.

He put in a thrill bid that he figured there was no chance the page would sell at. Unfortunately for him, it ended up being the high bid. So when it came time to pay for said piece, he refused stating that he wasn't aware, at the time he placed his bid, that the seller was an "enemy" of his.

An "enemy"????:o What did the guy do to become his enemy?

An "enemy"????:o What did the guy do to become his enemy?

Who knows if the seller was or wasn't. It was a convenient excuse for KK not to pay for the page. The guy's a deadbeat, in other words