• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman 313 Cover - Hammers at $71,200 on Ebay

263 posts in this topic

Maybe. Maybe not. Don't forget the Heritage 20% premium ... $71K is really $85K at Heritage ...

Hopefully any bidder with $71K at his disposal would`ve been mathematically adept enough to factor the BP into his bid, so that his final bid inclusive of BP would`ve been $71K.

That is an impressive end price. OA never ceases to amaze me in terms of what it can go for. I'm sure I remember this cover for sale in the back of CBG for $3000 at one point, can't remember when.

I can appreciate McFarlane for his business sense and I suppose as an artist but this price baffles me. Not picking on Todd, lots of prices these days baffle me because I think they have very little to do with the artwork and much more to do with other factors. Just for fun, if I were to break down my guess as to how the price got that high, here's my breakdown (this is just an exercise, I know there's no way to really quantify what someone is thinking at the time or that anyone is even thinking this way in the heat of an auction)

Actual love for the art itself: 20%

Nostalgia: 30%

Investment: 10%

Peeing contest/Bragging rights: 15%

I can afford it/this money means nothing to me: 15%

Auction Fever: 10%

Doing it this way I can understand from my non-McFarlane-fanboy point of view. The piece itself I can see at $15K (including artist recognition, rarity, etc), add in the fact someone loves/fondly remembers the issue and story - $35K and so on.

Does anyone have a different breakdown?

Actual love for the art itself: 20%

Nostalgia: 30%

Investment: 10%

Peeing contest/Bragging rights: 15%

I can afford it/this money means nothing to me: 15%

Auction Fever: 10%

Does anyone have a different breakdown?

Yep, for me it goes something like this:

Actual love for the art itself: 35% (would be higher if it was one of his better covers)

Nostalgia: 35%

Investment: 0%

Availability of McSpidey covers on open market: 30%

I can afford it/this money means nothing to me: 0%

Auction Fever: 0%

This piece had 2 people willing to pay over 70k for it. Thats also not including the people who tried to place a bid higher then the 58k but couldnt once it hit that price with 8-10 seconds left. People forget that. I know of a couple people who wanted this piece at pretty close to the winning bid and I have no idea who bought it or who the underbidder was.

thanks,

Matthew

Not sure if that was a good strategy - you can always increase your max bid - regardless of other bidders. If other bidders really wanted it for more, they could have put in a snipe bid or just increased their max bid at any time before the auction close. No doubt, 10 seconds isn't enough time to increase your max bid further, but it's not a good strategy to wait until the last 10 seconds to increase your max bid anyway if you must have a piece and you're willing to pay more.

Very strong hammer price. Looks like it was won by a newer eBayer who beat out an experienced buyer/seller.

Matthew, sorry this strategy didn't work for you either:

Q: Hello, I am very interested in this cover and was wondering if you would end the auction now for 25k? Please let me know thanks, Matthew Aug-29-10

A: I have offers up to 75k and much more to end the auction, but I cannot under the ebay rules. Sorry dude.

lol

Check out the bidding history:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=280555085306

Neither the winner nor the underbidder bid until the last day. All the other bidders, up to the third highest bid ($58K), placed their bids throughout the auction. They couldn't have been serious about winning. Sorry, but nobody with half a brain who wants to win, bids incrementally throughout the auction to drive the price up. And they especially don't bid until the end. I suspect these other bidders were either thrill bidders, spite bidders (who know they won't win, but want to drive the price up on the winner), and/or those who already own McFarlane and wanted to protect the market.

I would guess that i***r (20) and y***i (26), in particular, fit my description.

I know both the winner and the underbidder, and neither one is a dummy. Both are amongst the smartest guys I've met in the hobby. Not my thing either, but at this point, the McFarlane market is proven, in my opinion.

Ya when I first saw it I made that offer and keep in mind that was before a single bid was placed. I then talked to the owner. I wasnt that far off from what he originally wanted considering the reserve was 29k. After going over the cover some more in my head I decided it was worth much more to me and bid up to 53k. I didnt expect the cover to go for this much. I had just bought a great amazing heroes cover by mcfarlane for 25k so I actually thought I had a chance. It is such a rare opportunity to get a piece like this I had to take the chance. Although I didnt get it I am very happy for the seller as he is a very nice guy. As far as the original post and not the backhanded comment..10 seconds is when all the action happens for sniping. 100000 people could have bid 65-70k but once that bid was placed before those for more and it moved up it would have told all those people sorry your bid is to low....try again

thanks,

Matthew

So can we expect a flood of McFarlane Spidey art?

Well, let's get the ball rolling. I'll start by opening my McSpidey cover up for offers:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=160052&GSub=7911

I wanna play.... What IF I put this one up? NOT

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=82063&GSub=12400

It was voted best cover ever by Marvel in 2009?? Even though I do not agree, I do think it's the best modern cover out there and the most recognized McFarlane cover ever.

Well, let's get the ball rolling. I'll start by opening my McSpidey cover up for offers:

It was voted best cover ever by Marvel in 2009?? Even though I do not agree, I do think it's the best modern cover out there and the most recognized McFarlane cover ever.

Bill Woo! Welcome!

Would love to hear stories about how much/what you've been offered for that cover. How did you acquire it? You couldn't have been the only one after it.

I'd could absolutely see that cover changing hands for 250K.

Bill, welcome to the boards!

-Yoram

Welcome to the boards, Bill.

That's one of McFarlane's signature covers, no doubt. It's held in such high esteem, that it matters little to fans that Wiacek inked it, and not McFarlane. I'd say it'd sell for as much as any McFarlane OA, even his best ASM covers. Maybe more. More than the #313 for sure.

However...

I'd could absolutely see that cover changing hands for 250K.

Take it easy there, KK Jr. :baiting: I'm not aware of any McFarlane OA that has broken six figures. That's still pretty rarefied air for OA, period. And going forward, collectibles values are going to take a dive. Haven't you been paying attention to Gene?

Q: Hello, I am very interested in this cover and was wondering if you would end the auction now for 25k? Please let me know thanks, Matthew Aug-29-10

A: I have offers up to 75k and much more to end the auction, but I cannot under the ebay rules. Sorry dude.

Entirely called for? (shrug)

I doubt Matt's the only person in the world, or in this thread for that matter, to ever make a bid of less than market value for a piece, or to try and get an Ebay seller to sell them a piece directly especially when that seller violates one of the few Ebay regulations that could cause the auction to disappear at any moment.

I would expect most of us have been on both sides of large art transactions. I don't know about you but, with very few exceptions (that Felix can vouch for in my case), I try to NOT pay full boat retail for everything I buy. I would expect it's the same for most people.

As well, I have some pieces in my collection that have garnered attention from collectors over the years with unsolicited offers. Rarely do they come in with a max retail offer right off the bat. I have a file as long as my arm on my Ditko Dr. Strange page in that regard. If I cast out every person that came at me with an offer substantially less than retail value, or with an offer that had an eye towards them reselling the piece, I probably would not be talking to a lot of people in this hobby. lol

No reason to be harsh to Matt. Hindsight is 20/20. Before the auction ran its course I would have thought $50k on Ebay would have been a giant number. It turned out to be more. Matt's offer was pretty close to the seller's reserve.

For contrast, I had someone offer me $1,500 for a Miller Dark Knight page I had that was worth every inch of $10-11K at the time. He was also a guy that said, and posted in his CAF, he would "Pay More Than Anyone" for Miller DK pages, and supposedly knew the market for them. A guy like that might deserve a knock like this. Matt doesn't.

Maybe. Maybe not. Don't forget the Heritage 20% premium ... $71K is really $85K at Heritage ...

Hopefully any bidder with $71K at his disposal would`ve been mathematically adept enough to factor the BP into his bid, so that his final bid inclusive of BP would`ve been $71K.

Well of course. My point was that maybe it would of went for the same or LESS in a Heritage auction because the "high bidder" in this case would of only bid $59,400 to get it up to the final sale of $71,200 with BP .... thereabouts.

I doubt Matt's the only person in the world, or in this thread for that matter, to ever make a bid of less than market value for a piece, or to try and get an Ebay seller to sell them a piece directly especially when that seller violates one of the few Ebay regulations that could cause the auction to disappear at any moment.

I would expect most of us have been on both sides of large art transactions. I don't know about you but, with very few exceptions (that Felix can vouch for in my case), I try to NOT pay full boat retail for everything I buy. I would expect it's the same for most people.

As well, I have some pieces in my collection that have garnered attention from collectors over the years with unsolicited offers. Rarely do they come in with a max retail offer right off the bat. I have a file as long as my arm on my Ditko Dr. Strange page in that regard. If I cast out every person that came at me with an offer substantially less than retail value, or with an offer that had an eye towards them reselling the piece, I probably would not be talking to a lot of people in this hobby. lol

No reason to be harsh to Matt. Hindsight is 20/20. Before the auction ran its course I would have thought $50k on Ebay would have been a giant number. It turned out to be more. Matt's offer was pretty close to the seller's reserve.

For contrast, I had someone offer me $1,500 for a Miller Dark Knight page I had that was worth every inch of $10-11K at the time. He was also a guy that said, and posted in his CAF, he would "Pay More Than Anyone" for Miller DK pages, and supposedly knew the market for them. A guy like that might deserve a knock like this. Matt doesn't.

Entirely called for? You're the one assigning motivations to what I wrote and then casting aspersions based on those assumptions.

Done it a few times and was happy to get the item cheaper, had it done to me a few times and thought it was a "dirty trick" ... lol

It's true, Matthew's not the first one to make a lowball offer in this hobby or tried to have an eBay seller end an auction early. Happens everyday.

And it's obvious from his gallery that he's willing to pay top-dollar for stuff he wants. It's just that in this case, if anyone knows about the value of prime McFarlane art, it's Matthew. If you were making lowball offers on Bolland, other collectors would be busting your balls, too:P

But, yeah, let's save the real scorn for the ones who offer $1500 for art that's worth $10K+. That guy's changed his wording from "pay more than anyone" to "let me make you a generous offer". I guess a "generous offer" is 15% of FMV.

:applause:

You and I have always been on the same page with this.

Feels like singing to deaf people sometimes doesn't it.

Where is this coming from? You're the one assigning motivations to what I wrote and then casting aspersions based on those assumptions.

First off, if you think I was casting aspersions then you and I are using different dictionaries. Did I attack your reputation or integrity in what I posted? Because that's what that word means.

You weren't the guy who offered me peanuts for my DKR page, it was an example of someone who DESERVES to be publicly humiliated and I gave you reasons why doing that to Matt didn't apply. Someone disagreeing with what you posted isn't "casting aspersions".

Secondly, are saying that you WEREN'T trying to embarrass Matt by posting that? Really? You were honestly sorry for him and were imparting your condolences? I wasn't expecting the "Gee Whiz What's Going On?" response from you.

I respected it more as you taking an overt shot at him. I didn't agree with it, obviously, but it was clear and unambiguous and from what Matt posted he took it the same way.

There aren't a lot of ways to take it otherwise. If you didn't mean it as a swipe and a shot at Matt what could possibly be the reason for posting that and copying and pasting his Ebay question? I never took you to be socially inept or prone to the faux pas so if you weren't taking a shot at Matt I don't know which other option with which you prefer I go. Matt certainly took it as a shot. If that's not what you meant then you might want to email Matt and explain what you really meant and maybe apologize for the misunderstanding.

He took it that way, and I took it that way and I can guarantee you we aren't the only two people that took it that way. So if you meant something else maybe you should clarify. You were in the middle of disagreeing with Matt and then tossed this in, I didn't pull my perspective out of the ether.

Best,

Chris

I truly hate that cover. The most overrated modern cover for sure.