• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman 313 Cover - Hammers at $71,200 on Ebay

263 posts in this topic

Maybe. Maybe not. Don't forget the Heritage 20% premium ... $71K is really $85K at Heritage ...

Hopefully any bidder with $71K at his disposal would`ve been mathematically adept enough to factor the BP into his bid, so that his final bid inclusive of BP would`ve been $71K.

:applause:

You and I have always been on the same page with this.

Feels like singing to deaf people sometimes doesn't it.

Dude you look like a mow-ron or a sheep with this post. If you don't understand the original point of my post then read it again or check the follow-up explanation in my 2nd post.

Sometimes it feels like I'm singing to you ...

Entirely called for?

I feel to need to clarify my question.

The reasons I asked if it was "Called for" was because it came across as an unprovoked attack or attempt to embarrass when nothing up to that point looked like an argument between you guys.

I don't know if there is some personal history between you guys. Maybe you don't like each other. All I can say is that from the perspective of someone reading this thread it came across as a shot with nothing provoking it.

If there is some personal history or reason for it that would explain where it came from but not why it's on display here. Of course, you've said that you weren't taking a shot, which is all the more perplexing at this point.

So can we expect a flood of McFarlane Spidey art?

Well, let's get the ball rolling. I'll start by opening my McSpidey cover up for offers:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=160052&GSub=7911

I wanna play.... What IF I put this one up? NOT

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=82063&GSub=12400

It was voted best cover ever by Marvel in 2009?? Even though I do not agree, I do think it's the best modern cover out there and the most recognized McFarlane cover ever.

Bill Woo! Welcome!

Would love to hear stories about how much/what you've been offered for that cover. How did you acquire it? You couldn't have been the only one after it.

I'd could absolutely see that cover changing hands for 250K.

Thank you. I have been offered crazy $ for it and as a matter of fact, one phone call and this cover would be sold for 6 figures in cash.

Bought thru someone who offered it to me privately so there was no other bidder, needless to say he wanted top $ for it but compare to today's $..... it was a bargain hehe!

250K? Not right now but could possibly reach that in years to come, it all depends how OA is perceived years from now.

Well, let's get the ball rolling. I'll start by opening my McSpidey cover up for offers:

It was voted best cover ever by Marvel in 2009?? Even though I do not agree, I do think it's the best modern cover out there and the most recognized McFarlane cover ever.

Bill, welcome to the boards!

-Yoram

Thanks Yoram. Still enjoying the Hulk 390?

Thanks Nexus, I do believe that you may be right, no one cares that McFarlane did not ink the cover and definitely would fetch higher prices than most if not all ASM covers.

Bill Woo! Welcome!

Would love to hear stories about how much/what you've been offered for that cover. How did you acquire it? You couldn't have been the only one after it.

Thank you. I have been offered crazy $ for it and as a matter of fact, one phone call and this cover would be sold for 6 figures in cash.

Bought thru someone who offered it to me privately so there was no other bidder, needless to say he wanted top $ for it but compare to today's $..... it was a bargain hehe!

250K? Not right now but could possibly reach that in years to come, it all depends how OA is perceived years from now.

Gotta give you some credit Bill. You have been a bit of a visionary regarding what you buy. I know you know you've been given grief on occasion with some of your choices (Liefeld New Mutants #1 comes to mind), but more often than not you've been pretty shrewd. And to your credit, you generally have a real love of the art you buy, regardless of what the prevailing opinions are at the time. More power to you!

Scott Williams

Bill Woo! Welcome!

Gotta give you some credit Bill. You have been a bit of a visionary regarding what you buy. I know you know you've been given grief on occasion with some of your choices (Liefeld New Mutants #1 comes to mind), but more often than not you've been pretty shrewd. And to your credit, you generally have a real love of the art you buy, regardless of what the prevailing opinions are at the time. More power to you!

Scott Williams

Thank you Scott, thank you very much.

I think you meant X-Force #1, the one I bought at Sotheby's along with the entire X-Men #1. Yeah, I kick myself for that one.... sold the entire interiors but glad to keep the double gate cover. I think it's Liefeld's best work.

Man, instead of buying that, I could have bought an entire ASM Ditko book but

I've been lucky, many grail pieces I own, were offered to me so i can't complain.

Bill Woo! Welcome!

Scott Williams

Thank you Scott, thank you very much.

I think you meant X-Force #1, the one I bought at Sotheby's along with the entire X-Men #1. Yeah, I kick myself for that one.... sold the entire interiors but glad to keep the double gate cover. I think it's Liefeld's best work.

Man, instead of buying that, I could have bought an entire ASM Ditko book but

I've been lucky, many grail pieces I own, were offered to me so i can't complain.

Yeah sorry. Meant X-Force #1. You know those mutant books....after a while they all start to blur! :jokealert:

Regrets for not buying something that were once available for what now seems like a song is standard for any serious art collector. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it just means you haven't been in this hobby very long!

Scott Williams

I do agree with Felix that I thought the two bidders at 20 feedback and 26 feedback were possibly thrill bidding or shill bidding just based on the bidding history. However, I did find out today that one of those bidders was legitimate. Once it hit past 58k, he was out.

I can confirm that I've been offered more money for my ASM 316 than what was realized last night for the 313. The sale of the 313 just reinforces in my mind that I can never sell my 316 cover because the cost of replacing it is just ridiculous now.

Love him or loathe him, the Mcfarlane art market isn't going anywhere because there seems to be enough well-heeled buyers who legitimately drive this market.

I do agree with Felix that I thought the two bidders at 20 feedback and 26 feedback were possibly thrill bidding or shill bidding just based on the bidding history. However, I did find out today that one of those bidders was legitimate. Once it hit past 58k, he was out.

I have no doubt that any of those guys would have bought the cover if it finished in the $50K range. In that sense, all the bids were "legitimate". I just don't believe they were bidding expecting to win. I suspect a primary motivation for bidding that much, that early, was to protect market values. There really is no other explanation, unless they're dumb bidders. I don't know any serious bidders who bid before the end of an auction. Why show your hand or drive up the price in the meantime?

There were three bidders (the two I mentioned earlier along with i***d (807)) who made small incremental bids from $40K to $58K well before the end of the auction. I'd guess all three are holding McFarlane art.

I can confirm that I've been offered more money for my ASM 316 than what was realized last night for the 313. The sale of the 313 just reinforces in my mind that I can never sell my 316 cover because the cost of replacing it is just ridiculous now.

ASM #316 vs. HULK #340...which one wins? hm

Thanks Chris for your kind words. I didn't feel like a bad guy until I read that comment,lol. I have always been willing to pay top dollar for mcfarlane art for my personal collection. I was the first one who started paying 50k for certain covers. Those numbers were unheard of then. I did offer lower then I was willing to pay but it was with the intent to get a dialogue going because you got to start somewhere right? Also again this was before there were any bids. I tried to get it but oh well like I said the seller is a great guy and am happy to see it go for what it did even if I couldn't afford it at this time. No ill will feelings towards the guy who made the comment. I just wasn't expecting it I guess. I am somewhat new to posting here but do like these boards and don't want any issues with any other collectors over dumb sh*t. What irks me more are the people who don't like mcfarlane art,lol. J/K

best

Matthew

Hello Bill and Joe,

Well between the 2 of ya you guys own 2 of my favorite mcfarlane covers. asm 328 and maybe one or 2 others but asm 316 and hulk 340 are the best one can hope to have. I would have to say which one is better I would go with asm 316. Its a no brainer for me because its venom spidey but Bill that is not a slight to your cover. Def one of the most famous reprinted redone covers I have come across.

thanks,

Matthew

I do indeed believe that keeping up market values is one reason to bid not to win. That said, I think there are some bidders who put in an early high bid in an effort to intimidate other potential bidders.

I'm sure that happens. But it's really only effective in a live auction setting, where a BSD throws down the gauntlet early and scares everyone else off. It wouldn't work as well on eBay, where no one can see the high bid.

Anyhow, it's definitely not what happened here, since those three bidders just kept outbidding each other in increments until they all quit between $53K and $58K.

Thanks for the love on the 316 Matthew.

I always appreciated you coming hard after my Venom a few years ago...but alas, just not for sale. Sorry to all those who have inquired about it, but bill woo has dibbs on it.

Speaking of my 316 cover. A little background. When I got offered the cover in 2004 by Will Gabri-el, I was probably the third person in line. The first guy in line balked at the 50k price and the second guy wanted more time in which to pay it off.

Until the sale of the 316, the most cash paid for a Mcfarlane spiderman cover was mid to high 20s. I had a shot at each of them but just never loved it enough to buy.

I was called crazy and stupid then. lol No doubt reading some of the post here, it's still considered crazy today by others. But for me, that was the cover that meant a lot to me from my comic reading days.

Congrats again to the winner of the 313.

Bill, welcome to the boards!

-Yoram

Thanks Yoram. Still enjoying the Hulk 390?

Hi, Bill...yes, still enjoying and will post onto CAF soon. (thumbs u

Thanks for the love on the 316 Matthew.

I always appreciated you coming hard after my Venom a few years ago...but alas, just not for sale. Sorry to all those who have inquired about it, but bill woo has dibbs on it.

Speaking of my 316 cover. A little background. When I got offered the cover in 2004 by Will Gabri-el, I was probably the third person in line. The first guy in line balked at the 50k price and the second guy wanted more time in which to pay it off.

Until the sale of the 316, the most cash paid for a Mcfarlane spiderman cover was mid to high 20s. I had a shot at each of them but just never loved it enough to buy.

I was called crazy and stupid then. lol No doubt reading some of the post here, it's still considered crazy today by others. But for me, that was the cover that meant a lot to me from my comic reading days.

Congrats again to the winner of the 313.

Well, Joe...thanks for staying true to your words, you know I'm as good as bank when you are ready, right?

Tough pick between the two, the 316 has more substance while I think the 340 is more memorable. Just my 2 cents. Love to have them both, right Joe?

Last time I talked to you, your wife was about due, how is she doing and how's the family?