• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK, you mugs, gimme the lowdown on Pre-Code Crime
2 2

64 posts in this topic

KenShannon645.jpg

My favourite Ken Shannon cover (anyone got a better copy to show?)

I love the horror cross-overs like this! :applause:

Me too! (Ghost Rider anyone?)

That was an interesting tidbit about Romita and the cover of CM#3. I wouldnt have spotted it, but I can detect his hand in the girl's face now you've made me aware of it. Did he do the cover of #5 as well do you think. Alan?

Ah, I figured the Usual Suspects would drop by...

Thanks for sharing your insights and your great covers,everybody! There's a lot of really cool stuff to sort through here.

And kudos to you, Scrooge, for that very helpful genre analysis you posted. :applause:

KenShannon645.jpg

My favourite Ken Shannon cover (anyone got a better copy to show?)

I love the horror cross-overs like this! :applause:

Me too! (Ghost Rider anyone?)

That was an interesting tidbit about Romita and the cover of CM#3. I wouldnt have spotted it, but I can detect his hand in the girl's face now you've made me aware of it. Did he do the cover of #5 as well do you think. Alan?

I learned about Romita's involvement in that cover from an interview (probably Alter Ego) and I believe he penciled several covers for that series.

The lesser-known, yet still interesting to me publisher known as D.S. Publishing caught my attention with their crime comics, which had some material I’m sure some would label as gratuitous even by pre-code fans’ standards, but could catch one’s attention nonetheless. They started capitalizing on the established Lev Gleason’s Crime Does Not Pay relatively early along with several other publishers, after many had decided to branch out behind superheroes. Underworld #3 (June, 1948) in particular stood for a depiction of child murder in a way I don’t think most other publishers even thought to showcase at the time:

JomRV8k.jpg