• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Subscription creases...

16 posts in this topic

Just sort of a general question.

What is the highest grade a book can receive with a subscription crease?

(I hope this question makes sense)

For instance~ a book that looks like a 8.5 - 9.0 but has a crease down the middle... what would it be graded as?

What if it does not break color?

It's treated like any crease and it all depends on how deep, how long, how much color it breaks, etc.

Tough to say without pics and a description of an entire book.

If it is the full length of the comic I generally consider it a 4.0 tops.

CGC will grade it depending on how deep and how much color is broken.

I've had books with a full length non color break on one side and nothing on the other and it graded a 6.5

Thanks-

I am looking at full length folds. They keep the book from laying flat and are definitely visible but do not break color. You can see the fold on the front and back of the book. I don't have a pic right now but I will try to get one of a representative sample. There are lots of books with this type of fold in the collection.

Once again thanks for the input!

These are the full length folds from when they were mailed out. They must not have totally flattened them though because there is not a color breaking crease. These are mostly DC's from the early 60's. I was (attempting) to help a buddy grade a collection he bought, and the guy he bought them from told him he got them in the mail folded. Some of them look pretty nice except for the wave in the middle from where they where folded. We weren't sure how much to grade them down so we were just calling them VG whenever we came across one.

This same guy bought almost all of these books off the rack and they are marked with a letter b in ink. I am thinking this was something the store did. Is this a big ding on the books? Once again they are very nice books for the most part other than the B.

One more question! What is a good cut off point for CGC'ing silver age books for resale? Do you say cut it off at a book of 500 dollars in value or just cgc keys?

Thanks!

Depends on the books.

General rule of thumb is grade the books that will make more money selling graded than raw.

$300-400 and up, most people would usually grade the books.

If it is the full length of the comic I generally consider it a 4.0 tops.

I tend to agree...a sub crease = VG.

Breaks your heart sometimes to see really nice books but they were mailed folded in half in the day.

Most of these look very good slabbed as you can hardly see some of the creases.

Bought a Hulk 181 once that was graded 4.0 which looked like a VF...cracked it out and the book was very floppy and almost folded in half by itself.

If that's the case, if anyone has an ASM 1 that would grade around a 8.0 but has a subscription crease, feel free to offer it to me for sale. I don't mind the creases

How could someone subscribe to a comic that hadn't started yet? I would think issue #2, of any title, would be the first issue that would be received via subscription.

If that's the case, if anyone has an ASM 1 that would grade around a 8.0 but has a subscription crease, feel free to offer it to me for sale. I don't mind the creases

How could someone subscribe to a comic that hadn't started yet? I would think issue #2, of any title, would be the first issue that would be received via subscription.

He was being humorous.