• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy a $1,000 book, get a five year old polybag.

151 posts in this topic

I won a book off eBay from a forumite that he estimated to be worth between $900 to $1100.

It arrived today and was fairly well packed to avoid harm, but it's in a several year old polybag with a cheap backing board.. It also came in a priority envelope, not a box. I'm happy with the book, but would think a book of this nature deserves its own mylar.

I got five pre-hero Marvels from two sellers in the mail today, as well ,that combined didn't sell for a third of this book and they all came in boxes with mylars with half or fullbacks.

I wouldn't dream of selling a book for hundreds of dolllars and not sending it in a mylar and boxed.

Mylars suck for shipping - the books slide around, and out the top - I never ship in mylars - too dangerous.

How much did you actually pay for the book the seller estimated was worth ~$1000 and do you think the seller thought you made a lowball bid? hm

Please give us the link because the answer to these questions is the price of our advise.

No book that you paid $1000 for belongs in an old polybag but as to who is the more motivated to put it in its rightful place is determined by the specifics of the change of ownership.

If he shipped it and its condition changed as a result then you may have a claim against the seller due to his choice of packaging.

How much did you actually pay for the book the seller estimated was worth ~$1000 and do you think the seller thought you made a lowball bid? hm

Please give us the link because the answer to these questions is the price of our advise.

No book that you paid $1000 for belongs in an old polybag but as to who is the more motivated to put it in its rightful place is determined by the specifics of the change of ownership.

If he shipped it and its condition changed as a result then you may have a claim against the seller due to his choice of packaging.

It was an eBay auction that ran it's length. I won it at around $650 and am guessing it's value is in the range he estimated.

It was an eBay auction that ran it's length. I won it at around $650 and am guessing it's value is in the range he estimated.

I switch out every bag I get a new book in to a mylites2 and save any of the "good looking" bags in case I need it for a future sale (only sold one book in my lifetime of collecting) but as you can guess a low bid might be a reason I would sell an old book in an original bag.

I think the seller might have been expressing his opinion if that was the case.

You know what - when I ship, my aim is to protect. If it is a $1K book, then the buyer should be able to spring for the what....., $1 or $2 to put the book in his choice of sleeve after he gets the book.

I've had books damaged because they were shipped in too big of a mylar/mylite, damaged because they were shipped in open top mylar and the book whipped into the tape, damaged because they were shipped in a priority envelope or other crappy packaging, etc,etc, etc.

Any book I get in is usually in the wrong sleeve to integrate into my collection anyway - I expect this, and any expensive book I get in, I put in a mylite2 and FB. I hate snugs - I save them up and sell them to Tracey Heft - my opinion is they suck for comic book storage.

I would be extremely happy if I could just get books mailed to me without shipping damage. But that seems to be too much to ask of many sellers.

And yes, I still have very expensive books in my collection in polyethylene/polypropylene bags with cheap backing boards.

The only thing that really matters is that the book was stored and packaged in such a way that it wouldn't be damaged during shipping.

The only thing that really matters is that the book was stored and packaged in such a way that it wouldn't be damaged during shipping.

(worship)

Agreed because I rebag everything anyway.

Mylars suck for shipping - the books slide around, and out the top - I never ship in mylars - too dangerous.

You know what - when I ship, my aim is to protect. If it is a $1K book, then the buyer should be able to spring for the what....., $1 or $2 to put the book in his choice of sleeve after he gets the book.

I've had books damaged because they were shipped in too big of a mylar/mylite, damaged because they were shipped in open top mylar and the book whipped into the tape, damaged because they were shipped in a priority envelope or other crappy packaging, etc,etc, etc.

Any book I get in is usually in the wrong sleeve to integrate into my collection anyway - I expect this, and any expensive book I get in, I put in a mylite2 and FB. I hate snugs - I save them up and sell them to Tracey Heft - my opinion is they suck for comic book storage.

I would be extremely happy if I could just get books mailed to me without shipping damage. But that seems to be too much to ask of many sellers.

And yes, I still have very expensive books in my collection in polyethylene/polypropylene bags with cheap backing boards.

A huge (thumbs u for all of this.

We've got lots of stock in mylars, but they get swapped out to standard bag & board for shipping. So much safer, allows you to tightly tape the book(s) between a wadge of backing boards, ensures the book(s) moves nowhere.

Additionally, when you're shipping overseas, a ton of half-backs is going to increase the weight...and therefore the cost...tremendously.

I'm pretty certain that the sub-standard bag and board isn't going to accelerate the deterioration of the book in the week it sits in them. :/