• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT------ flashback to 1986 and Aliens.

32 posts in this topic

Just finished watching the first half of the new edition DVD of Aliens. Man was this movie friggin incredible the first time I saw it. When you had no idea which direction things would go, it was one of the most captivating times I ever had at a movie.

Which brings me to a funny thing. I saw it in the south Chicago suburbs on the first weekend. About a year later , they released the VHS. After I watched it, I remembered that the scene where they set up machine guns to fire automatically in the hall and counted down ammo was missing, it wasn't there. A few years ago, when the special edition "ADDED" scenes edition was released, there it was. My guess is of course, that they accidentally released a print without a LAST cut.

Anyone else had that experience? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The special edition version (with some new cuts) first came out on TV around 1990. Later in 1993/94 a more extended version came out on Laserdisc with the rest of the new shots.

Love that movie. But none of the versions ever added back in the shot where Ripley finds Carter Burke while looking for Newt. frown.gif

Alien was another great movie, really built up the suspense. Some of the best art direction ever. thumbsup2.gif Alien 4 was the worst of the bunch. IMO one of the worst sequels if not the worst ever.

Alien 3 bit also, even Weaver says it was a mistake to kill off the little girl at the beginning. Hmmm, maybe the little girl will make a cameo in A..V..P. I'd bet a shiny dime this one has a better story than any one since Aliens. popcorn.gif

But none of the versions ever added back in the shot where Ripley finds Carter Burke while looking for Newt. frown.gif

Where'd you hear about that? Sounds interesting... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

it was just a shot very similar to the Captain Dallas scene they pulled from Alien. Wouldn't have added anything to the end of the movie IMO. cool.gif

If he was all wrapped up in goo and had a face hugger on him, it seems like it could convey a more complete sense of irony since he tried to do that to Ripley and Newt...

In the book, Ripley finds Burke (post-face hugger) hanging in the Alien slime (much like when the Marines find the lady earlier). He begs her to kill him, and she wimps out and gives him a grenade to kill himself with rather than let the Alien explode out of his chest.

His fate was pretty obvious when I saw the movie....and it was perfect. cool.gif

I didn't find his fate to be obvious, because I thought he bit the farm right there when the alien found him. The last few seconds you saw him, you could see the alien's inner mouth shooting out followed by a loud "chunk"-sort of sound, so I thought the alien had impaled him. I know the aliens usually take you off to be cocooned, but that sound made me think the alien chose to kill him right then and there for whatever reason.

That deleted scene sounds rather cool, although unrealistic since those face-huggers usually take a day or so to come off and he had only been caught about an hour before. I wonder if the unrealistic time frame is what made them cut the scene? I'd like to see it sometime anyway, it sounds cool!