• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT------ flashback to 1986 and Aliens.

32 posts in this topic

Thats why the scene was trimmed. Logicaly it didn't work. But I just would of just liked to have seen it in the extras.

http://www.planetavp.com/al/Aliens/DeletedScenes/

While Ripley is making her way to the hive in an effort to save Newt, a hand shoots out and grabs her. She recovers and recognizes the person as Carter Burke. Burke says, "Ripley... help me. I can feel it... inside. Oh, God... it's moving! Oh God." Ripley replies, "Here," and hands him a grenade. Then she moves on after wrapping his fingers around the spoon and pulling the primer. This scene isn't in any released version of the film, but it appears that it was filmed. It's a controversial scene since many people believe a Facehugger would have still been on him due to the time it takes for Embryo implantation.

Thats why the scene was trimmed. Logicaly it didn't work. But I just would of just liked to have seen it in the extras.

I haven't seen the footage but I would tend to agree if it was similar to the Capt Dallas deleted scene from Alien. Didn't add anything to the story and to be honest would have confused the audience.

Jim

"I didn't find his fate to be obvious, because I thought he bit the farm right there when the alien found him. The last few seconds you saw him, you could see the alien's inner mouth shooting out followed by a loud "chunk"-sort of sound, so I thought the alien had impaled him. I know the aliens usually take you off to be cocooned, but that sound made me think the alien chose to kill him right then and there for whatever reason."

I don't follow your logic at all. You didn't find his fate to be obvious? You said you thought he bit the farm right there. That is EXACTLY what I am saying. That dork face to face with an Alien? What the 893censored-thumb.gif else did you figure was going to happen? They were going to have tea maybe ? Whatever the method, this resolution to this character was more than ample. popcorn.gif

You said you thought he bit the farm right there. That is EXACTLY what I am saying. That dork face to face with an Alien? What the 893censored-thumb.gif else did you figure was going to happen? They were going to have tea maybe ? Whatever the method, this resolution to this character was more than ample. popcorn.gif

I explained my logic quite clearly in an earlier post--the cut scene is more ironically satisfying since he suffered the same fate he tried to impart upon Newt and Ripley. Too bad it didn't fit the plot.

Plenty of things have the potential to add irony, it doesn't mean that they will do anything but subtract from one wang dang dilly of an exciting all out rush of an ending to a movie... I wouldn't have minded seeing Burke disemboweled at that point, my only thought was that the way Cameron did it was very effective, and I would bet that he has some really solid reasons for leaving that scene out................. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would say the instance where I have seen a deleted scene I thought would have added anything to a film on a DVD extra is down to about 10%. I think Apocalypse Now Redux was very helpful, usually though, it adds little. Any other thoughts???

It's a controversial scene since many people believe a Facehugger would have still been on him due to the time it takes for Embryo implantation.

One reason I think it was cut was due to the "redemption factor".

Like the lame CO Gorman; the part where he and Vasquez join hands and drop the grenade gave his character a redeeming scene where his past failings are forgiven. So he crashed the ATV, so he's a whiny simp - he's in there when it counts and makes the sacrifice.

If Burke was given an "end it with a grenade scene" it would have only diminished the extreme villainy and selfishness of his character, and it was far more satisfying to believe he got aced by the Alien.