• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest Dealers

401 posts in this topic

Over the last few years, I've become increasingly depressed about the number of honest dealers in the hobby. And I don't mean that they have to be perfect saints, but a basic level of moral and human decency. Unfortunately, there are more and more examples of people I like, but can't seem to wrap my head around some of the choices they make as "dealers".

While CGC has certainly encouraged the criminals in our hobby to come up with new ways to end run the system, their innovation has frankly been a godsend.

With that said, when I think of the truly honest dealers in this hobby, I come up with a short list -- and I really think that there are ones I'm not thinking of. But most importantly, I think we should be making every effort to support the dealers who are concerned with customer service first and honesty/integrity.

This, to me, is different than being a "great" dealer. This isn't about the inventory or the sales or whatever, it's about trusting them. Maybe I won't get a book I want or I have to wait a little longer to get a certain book or perhaps pay a little more.

So here's the deal: I've gotten literally dozens of PMs when I expressed concerns in my baltimore con post about the "honest" dealers. I listed the dealers below who I really think are high integrity. If you want to know why someone made the list, or in the alternative, why I didn't put someone on, ask me here. I'll just answer publicly. Now, in many cases, the answer is: not enough dealings or, I forgot to add them to the list etc. In others, I will give you my blunt perception. I hope people are willing to disagree (or agree)

I just feel like staying in the shadows with people isn't right either, so I'm willing to say, here's my perception and here's what I know. Will some people not like what I have to say? Maybe. But I'm not here to rip into anyone. It's all based on reason. So if you're interested, ask away. Please feel free to state your own experiences and feelings.

Here's my list of folks who I think are of exceedingly high integrity (not counting board dealers like Flaming Telepath or Bruce Coller who are basically two of the highest integrity guys I've ever known in my life in general):

Joe Verenault (JHV Associates)

Bob Storms (highgradecomics.com)

Gary Platt

Greg Reece (gregreececomics.com)

Jim Payette

Doug Sulipa (

Dale Roberts (buysell on ebay)

Vincent Zurzolo (metro)

Al Stoltz (basement comics)

Dave Reynolds

Brian Peets (a-1)

Richard Evans (bedrockcity)

Over the last few years, I've become increasingly depressed about the number of dishonest dealers in the hobby.

I'm assuming the fix I made was what you meant to say?

yes, thanks.

How have your dealings been with r1970d. Just curious.

:baiting:

:jokealert:

I think such a list can be invaluable to folks who have had bad experiences, and would otherwise consider exiting the hobby. There are a few people who I have dealt with on the list, and others who I haven't yet, but mostly because I haven't had the opportunity to do so.

Like you, I still believe that honesty is the pillar, however this hobby's cutthroat ways allows both legitimate and illegitimate gripes to enter the complaint foray. A perception hit is the first thing to take a toll whenever someone has a bad customer service experience.

An example of this is the recent thread on Brent. I had one experience similar to what the OP had mentioned (i.e. lags on communication response). Now while I do believe slow response time is an important facet of customer service in the business culture, it really brings into question a sellers dilligence (or lack thereof) rather than personal or business integrity.

And while I'd prefer to deal with one or two situations lacking in communication response over a shady transaction any day, I still think there are many people out there who base their buying on a number of factors (communication and service being just a few) - sadly, I've seen reputational factors quickly get kicked to the wayside if the buyer can get: a) good product; b) at good prices.

Brian, good list. Not sure if your list was in any order but I certainly agree with Joe Verenault and Bob Storms being at the top.

I'd like to hear your comments on Vinnie. I used to buy from Vinnie when he was Vincent's Collectibles and I liked him but I always assumed when he went to Metropolis, he went to the Dark Side. To me, he is now the consumate salesman, only interested in the money. The only transaction I've had with Vinny at Metropolis is from offering him some books. You need to judge a dealer not only with how he sells but with how he buys. Does he give you a fair price and treat you with respect ? In my transaction with Vinny I would have to say no. He did the typical crying about how my books were worthless and lowballed me. Interesting that a book I had bought from him as Vincent's Collectibles went from NM to Fine now that I wanted to sell it.

Where's Ted?

If the list is purely based on integrity, then I think Ted should be included. But, you have to be very careful about his GA grading. Not because he's intentionally dishonest. I think he just needs to sharpen his grading skills.

I have some concerns about the inclusion of Brain Peets on the list. He pulled out of a high dollar deal with a friend of mine(who was paying the book off over time) because another high grade copy sold for a lot more than what my friend was paying for Brian's copy. A deal is a deal, and Brian should have fulfilled his end of the bargain.

Joe Verenault

Bob Storms

Gary Platt

Greg Reece

Jim Payette

Doug Sulipa

Dale Roberts

Vincent Zurzolo

Al Stoltz

Dave Reynolds

Brian Peets

Richard Evans

Well said, Brian - and I know exactly where you are coming from.

With one exception, I agree with your list (though I don't know Gary Platt or Greg Reece, and have never done business with Sulipa).

While experiences will certainly vary, here are some other regular dealers I personally know and also support:

Harley Yee

Superworld Ted

Redbeard (Ron P.)

Ed Robertson

Stephen Ritter (Worldwide)

Brent Moeshlin (Quality)

Bunky Brothers (Brian and Ken)

Jamie Graham (Crackers)

And a few others I'm probably forgetting... but in 30 years of collecting Golden Age, I've been able to weed out the "good guys" from the "bad guys", though the experience has been extremely painful at times (and it sounds like you're having one of those periods of disillusionment now).

Hang in there, buddy...

Brian, good list. Not sure if your list was in any order but I certainly agree with Joe Verenault and Bob Storms being at the top.

I'd like to hear your comments on Vinnie. I used to buy from Vinnie when he was Vincent's Collectibles and I liked him but I always assumed when he went to Metropolis, he went to the Dark Side. To me, he is now the consumate salesman, only interested in the money. The only transaction I've had with Vinny at Metropolis is from offering him some books. You need to judge a dealer not only with how he sells but with how he buys. Does he give you a fair price and treat you with respect ? In my transaction with Vinny I would have to say no. He did the typical crying about how my books were worthless and lowballed me. Interesting that a book I had bought from him as Vincent's Collectibles went from NM to Fine now that I wanted to sell it.

+1

While experiences will certainly vary, here are some other regular dealers I personally know and also support:

Harley Yee

Superworld Ted

Redbeard (Ron P.)

Ed Robertson

Stephen Ritter (Worldwide)

Brent Moeshlin (Quality)

Bunky Brothers (Brian and Ken)

Jamie Graham (Crackers)

I've never dealt with Jamie, but I agree with all of the others.

I'd like to think that truly dishonest, disreputable, and crooked dealers wouldn't stay in business for very long. But we all know that's a fantasy: they're out there, no doubt...but so are collectors who will buy a book from Satan himself if the deal is right, along with buyers who don't know any better, or don't care. So the customer base is at least partially responsible for their continued existence.

That being said, Marc Nathan & John Haines (both of whom do larger shows) and Bill Wahl (of Comix Connection in PA, who doesn't do shows) would easily make my personal list. All are stand-up guys in my book!

:hi: Brian

No problems with anyone on that list in my dealings, but you indicated a willingness to discuss why someone made the list...I did not recognize several names. It may be that I have dealt with their store/site and did not learn their name, or it could be I am finding a new source for books :whee:

Could you tell us a little about the following gentlemen and why they made your list?

Joe Verenault

Al Stoltz

Dave Reynolds

Brian Peets

My thanks (worship) and also echoing the concern expressed by others that there was not some sort of unpleasant triggering event for this thread and your current sales thread :wishluck: