• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok - let's lock things down to real transactions please.

95 posts in this topic

If you leave feedback, link to the thread where you purchased something.

If you did not actually purchase something from an individual, do not leave feedback.

Thanks.

What should people do if somebody cannot link to a thread, in other words if a transaction has been done through PM ? (shrug)

If you did not actually purchase something from an individual, do not leave feedback.

Thanks.

What should people do if somebody cannot link to a thread, in other words if a transaction has been done through PM ? (shrug)

Name the book(s), and the date? (shrug)

Thanks.

Name the book(s), and the date? (shrug)

And your password, just so someone can check out the transaction. :P

Thanks.

Yep, the vast majority of my deals are done entirely by PM with no thread to link to. Surely the best we can do is to list the book/s and date?

• Administrator

(insert smart alek comment poking fun at fear of change)

(delete smart alek comment)

(re-approach)

Essentially there is no difference between this and the kudos thread in terms of content. The differences are in terms of organization:

1. Everyone gets their own thread.

2. Those threads can be easily linked to for a concise view of a particular person.

3. There are no other differences.

If it didn't belong on the kudos thread then it doesn't belong here.

Have to admit that I am a fan of the new individual thread system...far easier than wading through the kudos thread for feedback on a buyer or seller.

+1

I never bothered looking through the old kudos thread because it was so ungainly. I did leave kudos there out of politeness but I never thought it was likely to be useful to anyone.

Edited by gaz973

Thanks.

I'm trying to make sure I understand.

Link if it was a thread purchase, describe (and perhaps date ? ) if it's a PM purchase?

Will that work?

(re-approach)

Essentially there is no difference between this and the kudos thread in terms of content. The differences are in terms of organization:

2. Those threads can be easily linked to for a concise view of a particular person.

It's not fear of change. This isn't really a better system, it is, as you point out, the same useless system rehashed. It's almost as meaningless as the old system was. The bottom line is that the probation thread has value because it tells you who to avoid, which has distinct value. But if new people come on, it's easy to tell through observation and interest who is a reliable buyer and seller. I know of people here who are lurkers with zero posts and no thread? So what?

I rarely participated in the old kudos thread, and I won't be starting my own thread here and linking it. The probation list is a fantastic idea. The kudos thread is, in my mind, useless.

Sometimes change isn't a good thing because it isn't really a good idea. This is just a bunch of people having a thread and people saying I had a good transaction. And? If you had a bad transaction, how many incidents are we going to see of that that just wasn't discussed or raised in the probation thread already?

I'm not opposed to change, I'm opposed to useless change. This is it.

(re-approach)

It's not fear of change. This isn't really a better system, it is, as you point out, the same useless system rehashed. It's almost as meaningless as the old system was. The bottom line is that the probation thread has value because it tells you who to avoid, which has distinct value. But if new people come on, it's easy to tell through observation and interest who is a reliable buyer and seller. I know of people here who are lurkers with zero posts and no thread? So what?

I rarely participated in the old kudos thread, and I won't be starting my own thread here and linking it. The probation list is a fantastic idea. The kudos thread is, in my mind, useless.

Sometimes change isn't a good thing because it isn't really a good idea. This is just a bunch of people having a thread and people saying I had a good transaction. And? If you had a bad transaction, how many incidents are we going to see of that that just wasn't discussed or raised in the probation thread already?

The circumstances in which I think it'll be useful are for example when there were books offered by someone who'd been on the boards for a little while but I'd never seen them sell before or even noticed their general posting. I pass on sellers like that until they gain some kind of reputation as an honest trader. If they have a feedback thread showing that they've successfully completed transactions, then I'm far more likely to give them a try.

In my own case, I've sold to a lot of board members but they've nearly all been by PM so they don't get seen by most boardies. All I can do is to provide references to prove that I'm on the level. Having a feedback forum is in my opinion a lot better than just having to provide references.

• Administrator

New comers to the boards probably get substantial use from it as they try to get a feel for who has a reliable history of positive transactions. If I were a new buyer I would not feel comforted buying from someone with no easily reviewable positive feedback simply because I couldn't find negative feedback. If I were a new buyer I would rather get a single condensed shot of their kudos than track it down myself or absorb the reputation of someone via osmosis. That is the "And?".

I am not quite following this sentence: "If you had a bad transaction, how many incidents are we going to see of that that just wasn't discussed or raised in the probation thread already?" So I won't try to respond.

Those who have been around a long time AND are frequent participants in the market place probably don't get near as much use from Kudos threads as they already have a sense of who the reliable buyers and sellers are, although they do make themselves more accessible to new members who don't know them.

You are welcome to not start or link your own feedback thread. The utility you take from the feedback forum (or don't), however, does not really cover the gamut of board participants.

But your confidence is very persuasive. You almost had me. Such a black and white world. :baiting:

But your confidence is very persuasive. You almost had me. Such a black and white world. :baiting:

:roflmao:

Those attorneys are good at that :baiting:

Arch, I think the stuff not related directly to a transaction will dissipate once the newness of the idea is gone and folks feel as though the many many transactions that took place and where acknowledged in the old system are accounted for in the new feedback threads.

I had been commenting on who I had done business with, successfully, as I saw them make their threads. Once I start making new transactions with folks, I'll mention those specifically.

Although it's a good idea to link back to the transaction (I might try to do this), we are a lazy bunch (ok, maybe just me) and what your asking takes some effort. That may determine the success or lack there of 2c