• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The CBGC heeby jeebies.

164 posts in this topic

Looks like the "slab" is nothing more than one of those plastic packages that you have to cut to get into. One of those they package everything in now, and you risk cutting off digits by trying to get into it.

And I'll go out on a limb and say that "David G." either a) doesn't exist, b) works for them, or c) is a dumbspoon.

Those things are still pretty flexible. You could easily bend the out of comic inside, if that's all it is.

I like the serial # idea, being able to input it on their site. I wish CGC would do that, along with grade notes.

Also it seems like they allude to the inner well of mylar being superior, but are they sealing the inner well? I've wondered if airtight is they way to go, or maybe comics need to breathe some. I dunno

Well, according to David G. in Athens...

Grading and selling my comics has never been easier or more profitable...

davegrenon.png

I may not argue the easier part, but profitable? Surely that's a blatant lie on their website right there.

Followed by another one right in their opening line...

Comic Book Grading Company is the only affordable and reliable comic book grading service.

While David G's comments may be open to interpretation, this one surely isn't, no? This is basically saying that CGC isn't affordable or reliable.

Looks like they have a great grading process though meh

CBGC has developed a proprietary computer-assisted grading system, taking most of the "guesswork" out of grading. Our graders enter over 25 comic grading details into the system, and the system uses a grading formula to calculate the grade. We don't take the "human-aspect" out of grading, we just use our system to ensure that the grading is consistent and accurate. Our system doesn't have an ego.

CBGC has developed a proprietary computer-assisted grading system, taking most of the "guesswork" out of grading. Our graders enter over 25 comic grading details into the system, and the system uses a grading formula to calculate the grade. We don't take the "human-aspect" out of grading, we just use our system to ensure that the grading is consistent and accurate. Our system doesn't have an ego.

Wasn't there a website that you could do a similar thing? I recall seeing this years ago (dunno if it was Nostomania or something like that).

Maybe they use that? lol

I sense that this is a new dawn in grading and encapsulation. Surely all other grading comanies must be quaking in their boots. Especially regarding the bit about not being able to remove your comic from the "slab" without destroying it. :idea:

Andy, I think that conclusion may have come from an earlier post. The website simply states: You can't open our slab without damaging it beyond repair.

I care not one whit for this "CBGC" (cute name) outfit, but fair is fair.

I sense that this is a new dawn in grading and encapsulation. Surely all other grading comanies must be quaking in their boots. Especially regarding the bit about not being able to remove your comic from the "slab" without destroying it. :idea:

Andy, I think that conclusion may have come from an earlier post. The website simply states: You can't open our slab without damaging it beyond repair.

I care not one whit for this "CBGC" (cute name) outfit, but fair is fair.

My bad. doh!

I like the serial # idea, being able to input it on their site. I wish CGC would do that, along with grade notes.

While they don't put grade notes on there, the CGC does do that. It's under "Verify Certification" on the website.

Same system Newkadia uses. I can show you some thrashed out "Fines". Several even have completely detached covers. It even claims the cover is detached in the "checklist", then factors it all into the final grade. lol

While they don't put grade notes on there, the CGC does do that. It's under "Verify Certification" on the website.

No they don't. It says so right here...

CBGC also provides the industry's first and only Search & Verify System™ - so that you may enter the serial number of a graded comic to verify the authenticity of the comic.

^^