• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The CBGC heeby jeebies.

164 posts in this topic

Despite the negativity, I think most everyone has agreed that what CGC needs is viable competition in the grading market in order to keep costs down and to provide a reasonable option when it comes to getting books graded.

While it remains to be seen if this new company has what it takes to be a viable option, a lot of what is being said here is the same that you hear about CGC from folks who don't accept graded comics at all. Give them time and they'll either fall on their face, pull a PGX, or maybe become something worthwhile.

And as far as start-up mistakes, they are bound to happen. Typos on a product are particularly embarrassing but not the end of the world.

I wonder how many "slabs" they shipped out before they realized the error. doh!

At least 27 doh!

CBGC

my guess is none were "shipped"...all from same Atlanta based seller hm

That's my guess too and I also think the seller is probably associated with this company.

Spill it dude ~! Enquiring minds want to know.

So they put your book in a Mylar bag and seal it in PVC, but it's protected because it's in the Mylar bag? :screwy:

What about off-gassing of the PVC?

Isn't the exterior CGC case made of a non-archival plastic? We've answered this before, but I forget what it's made of now. The inner well is Barex, but the outer case is something else that my memory is telling me isn't archival.

Despite the negativity, I think most everyone has agreed that what CGC needs is viable competition in the grading market in order to keep costs down and to provide a reasonable option when it comes to getting books graded.

While it remains to be seen if this new company has what it takes to be a viable option, a lot of what is being said here is the same that you hear about CGC from folks who don't accept graded comics at all. Give them time and they'll either fall on their face, pull a PGX, or maybe become something worthwhile.

And as far as start-up mistakes, they are bound to happen. Typos on a product are particularly embarrassing but not the end of the world.

Good point. (thumbs u

Good point. (thumbs u

Seriously?

A mylar inside a clamshell graded by some unknown Atlantan? Serious competition will have to come from folks with serious hobby credentials. A big part of CGC's success was choosing people with good hobby connections and credentials.

I briefly looked at it...if I am reading it right:

they won't grade books over $300, and they won't grade restored books (shrug)

their "slab" is just .55 mil plastic (shrug)

no where could I find "who"...to me, that is the MOST important aspect of a grading company ...

interesting though

Gator: Judging by the location, did you think the "who" might be the same person that I thought it was?

The style of case makes me believe it is not but you never know.

Jim

Spill the beans, JJ. By phone or PM, or I'll go back to US spellings.

:sumo:

As you can see it is good to be proficient at more than one hobby :baiting::whistle:

Jim

no where could I find "who"...to me, that is the MOST important aspect of a grading company ...

interesting though

Gator: Judging by the location, did you think the "who" might be the same person that I thought it was?

Jim

As you can see it is good to be proficient at more than one hobby :baiting::whistle:

Jim

That was one of the things I thought of. The clamshell is used in the grading of action figures. hm

Being proficient in more than one nerdy hobby = :cloud9:

Good point. (thumbs u

Seriously?

A mylar inside a clamshell graded by some unknown Atlantan? Serious competition will have to come from folks with serious hobby credentials. A big part of CGC's success was choosing people with good hobby connections and credentials.

Sean: Does it have to be comic hobby credentials? What if one of the Sportscard or toy grading companies that have impeccable reputations in their respective fields, expanded? Could they be taken seriously?

Jim

interesting though

Jim

Jim

That was one of the things I thought of. The clamshell is used in the grading of action figures. hm

Being proficient in more than one nerdy hobby = :cloud9:

Not even true...toys are graded and encapsulated in acrylics not plastics.

You are right, I am super nerd :sorry:

Jim

Good point. (thumbs u

Seriously?

Sean: Does it have to be comic hobby credentials? What if one of the Sportscard or toy grading companies that have impeccable reputations in their respective fields, expanded? Could they be taken seriously?

Jim

I think that they could, if they had the right people actually doing the grading and resto checks. Absent that, they would have no cred with me.

That is kind of how CCG/CGC did it wasn't it? I wasn't around then, but it seems to me like they were established as a coin grading company and they went out and got some respected folks to establish the new line/brand.

Good point. (thumbs u

Seriously?

Knowing who is doing the grading is a big deal and by not publicising it on their web page, they are doing themselves a disservice. It doesn't mean they won't fix it by tomorrow since I'm inferring that they have read this thread (eBay item removed, no picture of product on the web page anymore).

After being involved in a small business start-up, I'm probably pretty forgiving on initial errors by another start-up. If you've not done it before, it's forking hard, and you never seem to get everything right no matter how hard you try. I read that the CGC guys were up all night trying to get their cases to work right before their unveiling at a con. And didn't they put off opening because they couldn't get the case right?

Regardless, credentials of the folks doing the grading is going to be vital. The presentation of the book in mylar seems a little amatuerish. Is it taped down in the back or just folded over? I'd like to see how rigid the clamshell is because if you've ever looked at the comics that come with the Marvel Legends action figures, you know that they get bent and the clamshell will acutally deform if not stored perfectly flat.

After being involved in a small business start-up, I'm probably pretty forgiving on initial errors by another start-up. If you've not done it before, it's forking hard, and you never seem to get everything right no matter how hard you try.

Agreed. I am still completely dubious until I know who is doing the grading and how they are handling submissions etc. Too much risk of a "dude in a basement" setup without more transparency.