• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing & CGC Submission Service!

86 posts in this topic

GSX #1 CGC 9.4; expected grade 7.5/8.0

:o

Four grades better than expected. This is surprising because we all know Kingofrulers being an excellent grader, maybe CGC missed something on this one?

It may be that I just suck at grading squarebounds. Perhaps a lot of the things which I view as defects on squarebounds are not counted as defects by CGC.

Four grades better than expected. This is surprising because we all know Kingofrulers being an excellent grader, maybe CGC missed something on this one?

It may be that I just suck at grading squarebounds. Perhaps a lot of the things which I view as defects on squarebounds are not counted as defects by CGC.

CGC has always been easy on the spines of squarebound books. If you took the wavy, glued mess on some of the square bound 9.4's and had an equivalent spine on a regular comic I doubt they would get 7.0 on the grade.

Their was a thread about this a few years (maybe 4-5) and it was amazing how many collectors complained about they way CGC grades squarebound books. It was funny reading some complain that they thought the book was graded "too high".

Stephen obviously failed to take this into consideration.

CGC has always been easy on the spines of squarebound books. If you took the wavy, glued mess on some of the square bound 9.4's and had an equivalent spine on a regular comic I doubt they would get 7.0 on the grade.

Their was a thread about this a few years (maybe 4-5) and it was amazing how many collectors complained about they way CGC grades squarebound books. It was funny reading some complain that they thought the book was graded "too high".

Stephen obviously failed to take this into consideration.

Yeah, I knew they were easy on the improperly glued spines. Even so, the book just didn't look that fresh to me. Colors were kind of faded. I've sent in plenty of squarebounds and I think this GSX #1 holds my personal record for grade estimation/actual grade variance.

I sent all of my grade estimates to the client and he replied by telling me that the GSX #1 was a previously graded 9.2. So, I just had to tell him, "I hope I'm wrong".

Hi KoR, I sent you a PM about pressing just one lil' book. I was gonna email you the pictures, but I'll just post them here instead. Would you agree this would be a good 9.8 candidate post-press? The rest of the book is flawless, square corners yada yada.

X-Men 25 No Color Break

X-Men 25 Crease A

X-Men 25 Crease B

Jerome