• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

I was looking at some old threads on Action Comics #1 and saw your comment on a sale of one in 2011 for #63. 

Do you think this book has appreciated more than inflation?  I have no idea, but am curious what you think, thx

I doubt this purchase will ever be considered a "bargain"... the pq hurts the book to some degree, as well as condition... that said, congrats to whomever picked it up, but I doubt it will appreciate all that much in the future, other than the appreciation the owner gives it (thumbs u

Given the climate in 2011, the book didn’t appreciate all that much for some time  

That said, fast forward to 2018 and the market for those keys has taken a dramatic turn north in the past couple of years. Any complete copy these days is 6 figures at entry point. 

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Given the climate in 2011, the book didn’t appreciate all that much for some time  

That said, fast forward to 2018 and the market for those keys has taken a dramatic turn north in the past couple of years. Any complete copy these days is 6 figures at entry point. 

So an Action 1 or Detective 27  both with complete cover entry .5 should garner 100K+hm  or either book complete with the front cover (can have missing back cover) should command 6 figures easily.  I bet the Acton 1 example Knightsfold mention can easily fetch 200K+ in this market environment.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

51 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

So an Action 1 or Detective 27  both with complete cover entry .5 should garner 100K+hm  or either book complete with the front cover (can have missing back cover) should command 6 figures easily.  I bet the Acton 1 example Knightsfold mention can easily fetch 200K+ in this market environment.

I don’t think a 1.5 restored brittle page copy fetches 200k, but it would fetch more than 100 imo

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

I don’t think a 1.5 restored brittle page copy fetches 200k, but it would fetch more than 100 imo

If a incomplete Action 1 .5 brittle fetches 110 over three years ago, this 1.8 restrored brittle should have no problem hurdling pass 200K. 

Edited by showcase22gr1959

36 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

If a incomplete Action 1 .5 brittle fetches 110 over three years ago, this 1.8 restrored brittle should have no problem hurdling pass 200K. 

Guess we will agree to disagree 

2 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Are these ponderings aligned with the recent C-link action 1 conserved 7.0 ?

Sold for $450,000.  That was the copy that Carbo was carrying around to various cons.  I'm not sure if he actually owned it, though.

21 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Sold for $450,000.  That was the copy that Carbo was carrying around to various cons.  

Yup, saw that "Big Swinging D ick" behavior from him too many times, making him even more obnoxious than usual (if that's even possible).

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, Sqeggs said:

Sold for $450,000.  That was the copy that Carbo was carrying around to various cons.  I'm not sure if he actually owned it, though.

:whatthe:terryshow2017h_zpsdcsaqv10.thumb.jpg.5a670c77af5d313caa06152048f1e806.jpg

36 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Charlie Sheen has owned it? Wow, crazy.

Yep. Sold it in a 2004 ebay auction iirc.  I was underbidder way back when.  

Edited by G.A.tor

On 11/22/2017 at 5:44 AM, G.A.tor said:
On 11/22/2017 at 5:41 AM, ender said:

The recent sales of More Fun 73 seem far above what was previously thought to be FMV and the 74 on Comic Link seems headed in the same direction.  Is this the new normal or simply a current trend and these should go back to their former values?  Thanks so much for the education :foryou:

I suspect Entry level pricing for an attractive for grade copy. 

The 9.0 mf 74 on heritage was down 50% from what it sold for last year. 

Looks like I must have missed this post when Gator first responded.

Yes, it would definitely that the MF 74 took a pretty big hit on Heritage as it sold for almost 20% below the Overstreet condition guide price.

Does anybody here have a link to the MF 74 sale on CL as I am wondering if that copy did any better on that site there?

I guess there's not much love for many of the 2nd tier DC super heroes like Aquaman and Green Arrow.  :frown:

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess there's not much love for many of the 2nd tier DC super heroes like Aquaman and Green Arrow.  :frown:

I have a nice (raw) More Fun 74 and really enjoy the book a lot, but it doesn't quite match-up to the prior spectacular Spectre issues.