• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

@G.A.tor Considering a fairly large purchase and debating between 1 of 2 books.  In your experience for desirability and resale value is it more advantagous to have a book with a taped spine or tape residue along the entire spine?  I know neither are optimal and both are blue labels FYI.

Tape is damaging over time to a book. So residue likely better than full tape

Dear G.A.tor ...

Among the silver Dells/Gold Keys I picked up recently were these 2 books that I initially thought were kids coloring books ... upon closer inspection, they revealed reprints of western and romance stories from the GA ... and, although they have the same cover, the stories reprinted on the inside of each book differ from one another ... They are probably Canadian eds. ... ever seen these before? Any history behind them would be much appreciated ...

20180815_094038_resized.jpg

20180815_094056_resized.jpg

20180815_094131_resized.jpg

20180815_094151_resized.jpg

20180815_094226_resized.jpg

On 8/15/2018 at 9:40 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Dear G.A.tor ...

Among the silver Dells/Gold Keys I picked up recently were these 2 books that I initially thought were kids coloring books ... upon closer inspection, they revealed reprints of western and romance stories from the GA ... and, although they have the same cover, the stories reprinted on the inside of each book differ from one another ... They are probably Canadian eds. ... ever seen these before? Any history behind them would be much appreciated ...

20180815_094038_resized.jpg

20180815_094056_resized.jpg

20180815_094131_resized.jpg

20180815_094151_resized.jpg

20180815_094226_resized.jpg

Export publishing distributed them in Canada in 1950

Reprinted various stories from Gunsmoke (fawcett)and life stories (youthful) and spy and counterspy (acg) and cowboy love (fawcett) and others

Edited by G.A.tor

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

Dear G.A.tor,

What’s up with college football in the state of Florida?  Just new coaches with young teams?  Or all the best players in Florida now going to UCF?  Which of Miami, FSU, and Florida has the best chance to turn it around this season?

I think all 3 majors will end with winning records. But none of the 3 will have great seasons. Youth and new systems will take time though presumably Miami has a year up

On 9/15/2018 at 1:09 PM, G.A.tor said:

I think all 3 majors will end with winning records. But none of the 3 will have great seasons. Youth and new systems will take time though presumably Miami has a year up

There is no way that FSU will end up with a winning record this year. Too many (season-ending) injuries on the offensive line already, with no back-ups to fill the spots. Northern Illinois this week will be a struggle and they most likely will not be favored in any games after that.

comic-related question: Do you remember which titles have .06 cent cover prices?  Was telling a friend about them this weekend and then totally blanked when it came time to show him titles.

32 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

There is no way that FSU will end up with a winning record this year. Too many (season-ending) injuries on the offensive line already, with no back-ups to fill the spots. Northern Illinois this week will be a struggle and they most likely will not be favored in any games after that.

comic-related question: Do you remember which titles have .06 cent cover prices?  Was telling a friend about them this weekend and then totally blanked when it came time to show him titles.

Don’t recall .06 cover price Comics 

1 hour ago, Scrooge said:

Right, you're thinking 7¢ which were published by ACG. They were: Funny Comics, Gay Comics, Pop Comics, Smile Comics, Tickle Comics and Whee Comics, all in 1955.

bingo...knew I didn't have recollection of 6c...whew...

On 9/17/2018 at 2:37 PM, G.A.tor said:
On 9/17/2018 at 2:36 PM, Crowzilla said:

6 cents comics are like FSU offense - an implanted false memory.

Indeed

I think many would say the way they are playing this year is quite offensive.

EDIT:  Oh, and a follow up on my previous question.  It used to be Texas, Florida, and California schools were great due to being in the fertile recruiting grounds.  Did this change when all schools seem to have all games on TV?  Or is there another reason they don't have the best teams now a days?

Edited by thunsicker