• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Hopefully folks in hurricane ravaged Florida will be in the right spot to catch rolls of Bounty when AF1 arrives with disaster relief today.

Bounty? ... Prayers with you and your family!

6 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Hopefully folks in hurricane ravaged Florida will be in the right spot to catch rolls of Bounty when AF1 arrives with disaster relief today.

Yes, a much better response than for Puerto Rico is needed. 

I am happy for Gator that his family is safe (which is the most important) and his collection is likely ok (I find it tragic when historic documents and art are destroyed, such as happened in the California fires).  I am saddened to hear his home and store were impacted, but hopefully Gator also had good insurance with dependable insurers.  Even if so, the disruption to his life will be a huge hassle as it will be difficult to find enough contractors to repair/rebuild so many damaged buildings all at once.  Many sympathies.

3 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

I don't know if it has changed but  in the past the Red Cross had collected money under the auspices of one disaster but used the money for other purposes.  I encourage people to donate but also to verify that the money will be well-spent for the purpose for which they donated.

4 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

If anyone is in touch with Rick, I tried calling and his phone is still going to voicemail, please tell him I have room and air conditioning, and to call us. 

When he was able to, he texted back.

I'd assume that he either currently has no cell signal or battery power as I haven't heard back from him today.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

When he was able to, he texted back.

I'd assume that he either currently has no cell signal or battery power as I haven't heard back from him today.

I remember charging my phone in my car after Hurricane Sandy. Not much fun. Please pass on the message, Roy if you do hear from him, I'm sure he has a lot of messages.

Edited by skypinkblu

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

Please pass on the message, Roy if you do hear from him, I'm sure he has a lot of messages.

He told me that he had a lot of messages but limited capability to reply the last time we messaged.

I'm sure he'll touch base when he can.

9 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I remember charging my phone in my car after Hurricane Sandy. Not much fun. Please pass on the message, Roy if you do hear from him, I'm sure he has a lot of messages.

Last year we lost our power/heat in our house do to a blizzard in Massachusetts for a week and I unfortunately remember going out to my car at 3:am in the morning with below zero wind chills to charge my cellphone. No fun at all. 

After that experience I never take for granted how fragile things are and how things can change quick.

49 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I got a text from Rick this morning asking me to share this with everyone he knows: This is a post from his Facebook page that I copied as per his request: It was posted at 3:48 AM this morning (EST)

Another quick update. First cell service I’ve had in days and only at 230am..ugh
We are working on moving forward. I Take so much for granted. But when you have to sleep in a storm ridden, powerless house with temperature and humidity making it feel like 95 degrees at night, it’s a truly humbling experience. Heck, go 6 days without a shower after working 16-20 hours in this heat trying to save property and business. It’s truly unbelievable.
But I’m so thankful to all the family and friends that have reached out. Appreciated more than you can know.
We will be fine long term, but the “now” is challenging at best.
If I don’t respond to folks it’s cuz I have no ability too until Verizon gets there towers back up.
Nails in tires, gas shortages , this ridiculous /relenting oct heat and humidity...I wouldn’t wish this situation on anyone.
God bless!

We had no power for 17 days after Sandy, no gas available to run the generator, but it was not hot. I can't imagine how uncomfortable you guys must be. We had a foot of water in the basement, but at least we could leave after that was pumped out. Thoughts and prayers are with you guys, and thanks for posting this Roy.