• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

We had no power for 17 days after Sandy, no gas available to run the generator, but it was not hot. I can't imagine how uncomfortable you guys must be. We had a foot of water in the basement, but at least we could leave after that was pumped out. Thoughts and prayers are with you guys, and thanks for posting this Roy. 

We lost power for 11 days after Isabel …. the first couple of nights the stars were awesome... and then the suckness began to set in. Lots of cold showers and Spam. We still had our place in one piece, and I can't imagine how horrific it must be to have your home wiped out. I wish this hadn't happened to Rick and he's in my prayers. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Just saw this post on Rick's New Force Comics FB page:

Quick update since I seem to have some cell service. Store complex sustained a lot of damage. We are hopeful to have some sort of ability to serve our customers by early November (doubtful sooner but stay tuned )
Right now I have limited to no cell so if I don’t respond it’s cuz I can’t. Stay tuned will update as able.

1429355088_NewForceComics.thumb.jpg.69bc7dc8949613dca2e1ed18a9df9627.jpg

13 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Quick update since I seem to have some cell service. Store complex sustained a lot of damage. We are hopeful to have some sort of ability to serve our customers by early November (doubtful sooner but stay tuned )
Right now I have limited to no cell so if I don’t respond it’s cuz I can’t. Stay tuned will update as able.

That's a lot better than I would have thought.

16 hours ago, VintageComics said:

It looks like the aftermath of a Bruce Banner signing event that didn't go well. hm

Some limited service right now. 

Our shopping center is 75% destroyed. (I’m talking no walls or roof etc)

we were lucky to be on the western  end (where our store was in the middle of the complex 2 years ago is completely wiped out )

the roof in back of store caved in. My office and all personal art and collectibles is gone. Backroom inv compromised. The building buckled and I have “V” like buckling in ceiling which of course allowed water intrusin

spent all day thur, fri and sat ripping out wet carpet and trying to salvage what I could. Then had to do the same at my house...

its been a nightmare but being alive is the consolation. 

Edited by G.A.tor

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

My office and all personal art and collectibles is gone. Backroom inv compromised. The building buckled and I have “V” like buckling in ceiling which of course allowed water intrusin

spent all day thur, fri and sat ripping out wet carpet and trying to salvage what I could. Then had to do the same at my house...

My deepest sympathies for the loss of what I'm sure were pieces that were meaningful to you, irreplaceable, and which are also a loss to the greater collecting community.

But, I'm more than glad that you and your family fared better than your possessions.  Reading your posts, I can't help but think of the chorus of a 20 year old song: "I get knocked down, but I get up again; ..
You are never gonna keep me down."

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

we were lucky to be on the western  end (where our store was in the middle of the complex 2 years ago is completely wiped out )

the roof in back of store caved in. My office and all personal art and collectibles is gone. Backroom inv compromised. The building buckled and I have “V” like buckling in ceiling which of course allowed water intrusin

((((Rick)))) hang in there. 

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Damn! That's very tough.  

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

So very sorry to hear this, Rick.  This is just terrible news.  The only silver lining is that you and your family survived unscathed; we're all thankful for that.  I know that some lost collectibles can be replaced, but art, depending on uniqueness may be lost forever.  Hopefully insurance will cover some of the damage & loss. 

Can't imagine what you're going through, but you and Bridget are always in our thoughts.  If you need anything contact us.  Even though we're at sea for the next few days, our house sitter will open our house to you if the conditions in Florida get to be too much.

Also, hope your employees were all safe and getting some assistance from state/federal resources.  

I’ve been checking this thread to see how Mr. Gator was faring and looked up the latest news on the hurricane aftermath. Sadly, as expected I suppose this is another problem for the area.

“Bay County Sheriff’s Office Maj. Jimmy Stanford said that since the Oct. 10 afternoon landfall of Hurricane Michael, deputies have arrested about 10 suspected looters every night. The looters have been targeting homes and businesses, he said.

And almost all the time, they are armed.”

Kind of like salt in the wound.O.o

I wish Gator well and won’t pretend to know what his experience right now is like but be safe and hopefully your families days get a bit brighter soon.

27 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I’ve been checking this thread to see how Mr. Gator was faring and looked up the latest news on the hurricane aftermath. Sadly, as expected I suppose this is another problem for the area.

“Bay County Sheriff’s Office Maj. Jimmy Stanford said that since the Oct. 10 afternoon landfall of Hurricane Michael, deputies have arrested about 10 suspected looters every night. The looters have been targeting homes and businesses, he said.

And almost all the time, they are armed.”

Kind of like salt in the wound.O.o

I wish Gator well and won’t pretend to know what his experience right now is like but be safe and hopefully your families days get a bit brighter soon.

Nocturnal, armed looters taking advantage of family tragedies in this way, should most definitely have the death penalty imho.  Just sayin ...

I don't do well with adversity. My first wall of self defense us usually trying to find some humor somewhere, in any situation. Unfortunately, I just can't come up with anything for this. Just tragic. As some one who has been through a similar situation (fire) and a couple of severe health scares, I can only offer this advice. Have faith, have patience and ride it out. It will be behind you someday. And, if you can even find the slighest bit of humor somewhere, hang on to it. It has always helped me.