• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Some limited service right now. 

Our shopping center is 75% destroyed. (I’m talking no walls or roof etc)

we were lucky to be on the western  end (where our store was in the middle of the complex 2 years ago is completely wiped out )

the roof in back of store caved in. My office and all personal art and collectibles is gone. Backroom inv compromised. The building buckled and I have “V” like buckling in ceiling which of course allowed water intrusin

spent all day thur, fri and sat ripping out wet carpet and trying to salvage what I could. Then had to do the same at my house...

its been a nightmare but being alive is the consolation. 

Rick, when you said "gone" did you mean in the literal sense ...as in not there, perhaps looted... or did you mean destroyed by the roof caving and wind/rain damage?

My point is that looted collectibles have a way of showing up later, when dirtbags try to reap an unearned payday for their illgotten booty.

6 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Rick, when you said "gone" did you mean in the literal sense ...as in not there, perhaps looted... or did you mean destroyed by the roof caving and wind/rain damage?

My point is that looted collectibles have a way of showing up later, when dirtbags try to reap an unearned payday for their illgotten booty.

Destroyed 

11 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Sorry to hear that.   Hoping that some combination of insurance and/or perserverance will get you through.  

Only coverage I had content wise was theft. Hurricane wasn’t offered on our product. Hoping cia covers 

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Only coverage I had content wise was theft. Hurricane wasn’t offered on our product. Hoping cia covers 

Crossed my fingers for you.   I had a policy with them once but don't recall whether it covered weather.

Rick,

Keep in mind that the damage to your collection is likely the result of a "wind storm" or "natural disaster," not a "flood."  The conventional wisdom is you should IMMEDIATELY reach out to your insurer and tender the claim.  Also, document the damage by taking pictures on your phone, especially if you are cleaning up that damage.   

20 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Rick, Have  you contacted FEMA? When we were struck by Sandy, our finished basement and the furniture was not covered by our regular policy, nor was all the stuff in our yard, but FEMA covered most of it, much to my surprise. We did live in a flood zone and had flood insurance, but I would think you were in a flood zone, too?

On 10/17/2018 at 5:08 PM, G.A.tor said:

Destroyed 

I am very sorry for your losses. It just "ain't  right"  a famous san diego expression by the famous Mike turko.  Rick, what you might to consider is coming to Calle...I.E> San Diego...and relocate your home base rather than rebuild  just to this happen  again a few years later or just have a second place to go in situations like this, you would be very welcomed here...any help in that let me know.. In the meantime good luck and god bless

Edited by Mmehdy

12 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Another post hurricane update. 

Meeting with adjuster on our house this Thursday. Contractors and such will happen, but likely will take months to get to repairs. Verizon seems to have repaired their system as I’ve cell and some internet now. 

Till then we are staying on the beach. We have power and water now. Gas is still a bit of a challenge but not impossible. Traveling is a real pain. Sometimes 2 hours to get from beach to our house or back. Traffic pretty much crawls everywhere and with so many having to go west (beach) to find livable accommodations, I expect this will be the way it is for sometime to come. 

Store is still not operational, hopefully an update this week. 

Again a huge thanks and shout out to all that helped and offered help. It made a truly unbearable situation not as bad as it otherwise would have been. 

Trent turns 16 Wednesday, feel bad that it’s under these circumstances (can’t even take drivers test). 

Finally , if Florida can beat Georgia Saturday , I might be able to sleep a little easier. 

God bless.

God bless you and protect you all Rick. Thanks for the update brotha.