• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, revat said:

without getting into what states have better this or that, or other advantages/disadvantages of living in any given place, I know a lot of people from other places fear the earthquakes in California.  But as natural disasters, the risk of the extremely rare (and even far rarer serious) earthquakes in California is far more palatable (even as someone who lived through the 1989 World Series Earthquake) than the increasingly regular threat of hurricanes for those living along the gulf coast.  I would say to anyone considering moving to CA (or the west coast) for whatever reason but having earthquake reservations to pretty much disregard the earthquake issue (there's plenty of reasons to NOT LIVE and also TO LIVE IN California). 

*In related news, there's very few things more hilarious to native Californians than watching people from other places freak out at their first minor earthquake tremors.

Very true. Earthquakes come out of nowhere when you least expect it and are quite quick. By the time you know what it is, it's over. Unless you are very close, you usually come out fine. I'll take an earthquake over a twister or a hurricane any time. Now brush fires and floods are REAL scary especially in the foothills. Lack of rain and the Santa Ana winds create a lot of them.

You guys don't want to come here anyway, traffic, gang shootings, high taxes, tons of illegals, crazy drivers and weird ohs. Oh, and our baseball team just can't to get the job done. Much better places to live I tell you  :gossip:

Now Rick, you are welcome anytime. Keep hanging in, you will be fine!

Edited by Robot Man

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Very true. Earthquakes come out of nowhere when you least expect it and are quite quick. By the time you know what it is, it's over. Unless you are very close, you usually come out fine. I'll take an earthquake over a twister or a hurricane any time. Now brush fires and floods are REAL scary especially in the foothills. Lack of rain and the Santa Ana winds create a lot of them.

You guys don't want to come here anyway, traffic, gang shootings, high taxes, tons of illegals, crazy drivers and weird ohs. Oh, and our baseball team just can't to get the job done. Much better places to live I tell you  :gossip:

Now Rick, you are welcome anytime. Keep hanging in, you will be fine!

As a resident living in Granada Hills when the 6.9 Northridge earthquake hit, it did massive damage to the house, foundation and almost every single thing in the house! No thank you!

1 hour ago, Timely said:

As a resident living in Granada Hills when the 6.9 Northridge earthquake hit, it did massive damage to the house, foundation and almost every single thing in the house! No thank you!

You were VERY close. Right on the San Andreas fault. I’m afraid we are due another big one...

7 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

That's the nice thing about AZ...no earthquakes (except around Yuma), no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no humidity, and no fires in the desert...only heat 6 months of the year (and you can escape that by going to the mountains and jumping in a trout stream). 

28470616576_bd4e4e7f16_c.jpg

38445964461_ffb872bf7a_c.jpg

Yeah... but SCORPIONS. 

3 hours ago, D Stuart said:

Yeah... but SCORPIONS. 

Pftttt...I'm a reptile enthusiast and I turn rocks and other stuff looking for critters.  I see lots of scorpions, but they don't bother you if you don't bother them.  The last time i got a scorpion sting was when I lived in CA and accidentally washed one that had crawled into my pants.  The dead scorpion stung me when I put them on.  LOL  It didn't even hurt as much as a bee sting. 

It's also nice to drive around AZ and NOT have to wash your windshield every hour due to smashed bugs on it. Yes, I've been to Florida many times...the only good months are February and March. :whatthe:

I also like Missouri D Stuart...but only in April and early May.  You can have your chiggars...and all the other no-see-ems in your woods...lol

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

11 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

That's the nice thing about AZ...no earthquakes (except around Yuma), no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no humidity, and no fires in the desert...only heat 6 months of the year (and you can escape that by going to the mountains and jumping in a trout stream). 

I’m not a fan of the other “problems” found in our desert communities...

6C242FF1-CE70-4367-9BF9-7D5E15DEBD7D.jpeg.dde78f7935e2e3fb58415697fbcca5ae.jpeg

097C7D0B-01DB-4BA9-8068-335BB302E9AB.jpeg.af3ba518884595c56f34ac6854ad9bff.jpeg

43E4D7CF-E248-4088-9928-C65A2DA132D3.jpeg.637de032a82a9a0f03e841651e4c28e9.jpeg

CB03FC50-B40A-4785-95E1-07D1D463A697.jpeg.08e9b366105ec145432b67acd1d3efdd.jpeg

A5DC55A0-45AB-4017-88B6-797FB01A2D62.thumb.jpeg.7b28cf7cb68b6151170d87811da41c10.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

You were VERY close. Right on the San Andreas fault. I’m afraid we are due another big one...

San Francisco is now overdue but I’m sure LA  will get something soon. Hopefully the cities and people in them are prepared. San Diego has never seen much of anything with quakes but I still try and keep a 2 week supply of what I might need. I believe everyone should follow that regardless of your area of residence.

14 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

How many snowmen are you going to be making this winter? How often will Jack Frost be nipping at your nose? How often will the weather outside be frightful while the fire inside is delightful? 

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

How many snowmen are you going to be making this winter? How often will Jack Frost be nipping at your nose? How often will the weather outside be frightful while the fire inside is delightful? 

None of the above...:banana:  I hate snow and frost, and I'm afraid of frightful weather...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

6 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

None of the above...:banana:  I hate snow and frost, and I'm afraid of frightful weather...

I remember some years ago getting caught in a sudden ice storm (it had not been in the forecast).  I realized I would have to creep home for several miles along the (untreated) highway.  Had a couple of my then very young kids in the car.  Of course, the first thing one of them said was, "Daddy, I have to go the bathroom." 

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I remember some years ago getting caught in a sudden ice storm (it had not been in the forecast).  I realized I would have to creep home for several miles along the (untreated) highway.  Had a couple of my then very young kids in the car.  Of course, the first thing one of them said was, "Daddy, I have to go the bathroom." 

Well, that was probably better than "Are we there yet?"...

7 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I agree. Lived on the east coast for a bit and been to all 50 states to know the one thing I never miss in the “cold” states is their weather. Snow is fun for about a week or two then it’s not.

Best to live in a state IMO where I can visit snow without living in it...