• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Thanks folks. Decision not made in haste or purely emotional. It’s a culmination of a myriad of factors. It is, unfortunately the right decision at this time and will best help my family

appreciate all the support :)

Best of luck to you!  Knowing you I'm sure this will be the best path forward.

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Thanks folks. Decision not made in haste or purely emotional. It’s a culmination of a myriad of factors. It is, unfortunately the right decision at this time and will best help my family

appreciate all the support :)

GATor, I have been a boardie for 4+ short years.  In that time I have looked up to you as the absolute authority on all things comics, at least here on the boards, althouth you likely didn’t know it. 

I sincerely hope you and your family all the best.

I also went through a time (2-3 years) without collecting for personal reasons so I totally get it. I hope you can bounce back. 

On 10/31/2018 at 5:43 PM, revat said:

without getting into what states have better this or that, or other advantages/disadvantages of living in any given place, I know a lot of people from other places fear the earthquakes in California.  But as natural disasters, the risk of the extremely rare (and even far rarer serious) earthquakes in California is far more palatable (even as someone who lived through the 1989 World Series Earthquake) than the increasingly regular threat of hurricanes for those living along the gulf coast.  I would say to anyone considering moving to CA (or the west coast) for whatever reason but having earthquake reservations to pretty much disregard the earthquake issue (there's plenty of reasons to NOT LIVE and also TO LIVE IN California). 

*In related news, there's very few things more hilarious to native Californians than watching people from other places freak out at their first minor earthquake tremors.

There's always good ol' Indiana...  The only things you have to watch out for are the occasional winter storm, extreme closed-mindedness and fort wayne.

16 minutes ago, comicquant said:

There's always good ol' Indiana...  The only things you have to watch out for are the occasional winter storm, extreme closed-mindedness and fort wayne.

Tornados! We heard the placid NPR guy panic on the air when living in Indiana, got the dog and the wife and hit the closet! You can see them from miles away but they only come after you if you say "Hoosier Hoosier Hoosier" out loud.

Oh, and in my four years in Muncie there were two cross burnings in town, on the lawn of those deemed not fit. So...

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

Tornados! We heard the placid NPR guy panic on the air when living in Indiana, got the dog and the wife and hit the closet! You can see them from miles away but they only come after you if you say "Hoosier Hoosier Hoosier" out loud.

Oh, and in my four years in Muncie there were two cross burnings in town, on the lawn of those deemed not fit. So...

I went to college in Bloomington.  Indiana scares me 😱 

Edited by Chicago Boy

22 hours ago, RBaumann02 said:

Hi Gator,

What is highest possible grade for a detached cover comic that has damage to the margins, that also intrude into (destroy) the text and pictures?

Thanks.

I believe 4.0 is highest for detached cover. If you’ve lost text and art less

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, woowoo said:

Rick.

Try not make any decision on your collection unless you have no choice. Making decision this fast in a moment of panic is not the best thing to do unless you have No other option. I did this when I wanted to buy a house when market was down. I sold my Tec 3-4 Nice coverless 27 vg/f 38  Superman 1 Action 2 5 7 10 Cap 1 vg/f unrestored all 12 of my Fantasy 15's. I later realized Things that took me 30 years to get I sold on a panic month and I never really needed to sell.  I have been after a copy of Action 7 since 2013 the Tec 27 coverless  Tec 38 and Sup 1 Cap 1 Fantasy 15 don't come easy after the sale I had. Remember you can make money every day your books (tsk) Best of luck to you.

PS I have never been in the spot you are in. We had the fires last year less than a mile from my house and I was going back and forth should I pack or wait. I waited but if it hit my house all would be gone and I think I would have never collected again so if you need some help PM me I do what I can for you.

Nice words from Mr Woo Woo

2 minutes ago, Bunky Brian said:

Nice words from Mr Woo Woo

:hi: BB I see you in Berkeley soon I hope. I even give :whatthe: you 2005 prices to buy some early Golden age :whatthe: :makepoint: Have a great  Thanksgiving and say hi to your brother from me. I will say he does all the hard work at conventions when you play (shrug)

Apparently all good things must come to an end. 

After serving bay county collectors for almost 19 years, New Force Comics has to close it doors dec 31st

our shopping center complex manager informed me yesterday that our lease is terminated and we have until the 31st to vacate. 

Unfortunately 1000s of businesses and properties were devastated by the hurricane. So, there is no where to move to. 

Will be seeing you all on the convention scene!