• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Rick, a few SDCC related questions pertaining to sales at yours and Filter's booth:

1. what were the most asked about or "in-demand" Golden Age comics? How about Silver?

2. what book or books got "tire kicked" the most (aka the most looked at comic by potential customers without it being actually sold)

3. What book or books was your highest sale for the week? (if you don't mind answering that question)

1 hour ago, Illustrious said:

Rick, a few SDCC related questions pertaining to sales at yours and Filter's booth:

1. what were the most asked about or "in-demand" Golden Age comics? How about Silver?

2. what book or books got "tire kicked" the most (aka the most looked at comic by potential customers without it being actually sold)

3. What book or books was your highest sale for the week? (if you don't mind answering that question)

1-pch books for gold, ff1&5 for silver 

2-detective 27 of course but realistically af15s were tire kicked (we sold 2)

3-cap46, couple mid grade af15s, 

7 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Is SDCC the highest cost lowest profit show of the year?  If so, when did this trend start?

Definitely for us. We have to fly from FL. Ship inventory from FL. Booth costs are 100% higher than any other con we do. Only nycc is pricier for hotels, but in ny you at least get to pick your hotel. 

I’d say it’s been the most expensive con as long as we’ve been doing cons (15+ years)

8 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Hey Gator! 

On a Bat 1, is there a price difference between a “No .1” and a “No 1”? 

Should there be one? Are they both of equal value?

thanks!

I think that would be akin to asking which Tec 31 is more valuable, the blue cowl or the grey cowl cover.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 minute ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Having only just recently learned of the cowl issue, and me being fearless in my ignorance, I say that’s a good question too!

I don't think one is more valuable than the other nor that buyers will hold off on one vs the other. It's more like: OMG Tec 31 buy it before it's gone. Oops too late.

24 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Hey Gator! 

On a Bat 1, is there a price difference between a “No .1” and a “No 1”? 

Should there be one? Are they both of equal value?

thanks!

7 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I don't think one is more valuable than the other nor that buyers will hold off on one vs the other. It's more like: OMG Tec 31 buy it before it's gone. Oops too late.

You guys should post pictures so I can ogle and compare,s'il vous plait

There’s conjecture that the “No 1” was the first print run, and the “No .1” was the second print run. As I understand it, this is conjecture only, with no likelihood ever of confirmation 

i would also add that I’ve been told by high post count boardies that “No .1” copies outnumber “No 1” copies by about 10 to 1

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

Thanks guys!So,with the 'tec,I will take a wild guess and speculate it's the colour strike,but with the Batman 1/.1 would that indicate a separate,earlier,later printing?I don't follow Superman #1 very closely,but remember it being discussed that there were multiple different printings-only distinguishable from the interiors?-that tend to NOT affect value.Since on the Batman it's plain as day in the slab,would there be a price change,if it could be detrmined what was first and after?

Edit-I'd be upset if my Bats No 1 had newton rings,just saying.

Edited by porcupine48

16 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Since on the Batman it's plain as day in the slab,would there be a price change,if it could be detrmined what was first and after?

I would think so, but don’t think we will ever know for sure which print run was first.

It seems most likely the first run was the “no dot”, and that the “no dot” copies are much scarcer. I’ve heard there are 10 “dot” copies for every “no dot” copy. 

Anyway, this conundrum is what made my decide to post my query: does the market recognize a price difference between the 2 versions? Gotham Kid, whose opinion I have the utmost respect for, seems to suggest not.