• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

There are plenty

most double digit whiz just haven’t been valuable enough , in the past, to warrant slabbing. 

I had 35+ raw copies of whiz 22 for example, that has about same number on census ...and I know a ton of folks that had raw copies. 
so 18 likely very similar. 

Thanks

9 hours ago, walclark said:

Looking through a copy of More Fun #84 and noticed an ad for Prize Comics.  Was there a business relationship between the two companies or did DC just sell ad space to anyone with money?

0F7BB9A0-3D97-4873-953C-A2AC9DB25F3E.thumb.jpeg.0f9b1790f6fe6193647789a19070a732.jpeg

B29C1C9A-802F-4D0B-A0C1-4ADE8449537E.thumb.jpeg.35fe8302519faf6f3d3a4cf2ceacb300.jpeg

74C73EC5-4247-49D4-A806-8131F7AEA849.jpeg

Several of Crestwoods titles did continue at dc comics so they had a relationship 

Edited by G.A.tor

On 1/29/2020 at 7:56 PM, fat11381 said:

Rick,you going to be set up at C2E2?

Not this year. I have to be in Honduras that week. Too bad c2 moved from April to feb. 

On 1/29/2020 at 10:14 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Is there a comprehensive list of known Golden-Age and Atom-Age cover artists? I've toyed with the idea of trying to snag at least one example from every known cover artist. 

Comics.org is pretty good source 

Overstreet too , but takes some work 

keltner index will give you titles too and from there easier to identify cover artists 

Don't want to spam the boards with a topic for this question, but I was looking through some books and noticed a famous funnies from 1950 has a "conforms to the comics code" note on the cover.  It looks like this blurb started on 176 from 1949, which is years before the seduction book and congressional hearings.  What was this earlier comics code, and why did famous funnies start promoting it?

On 3/6/2020 at 5:07 AM, loboagain said:

Rick:

X-men 1 or Fantastic Four 1? Which is the better key and has longer term potential?

FF1 I suspect. Started it all for marvel in early days and while no sa key is “scarce” , it appears scarcer relative to Xmen 1, especially in mid to high grades 

5 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Don't want to spam the boards with a topic for this question, but I was looking through some books and noticed a famous funnies from 1950 has a "conforms to the comics code" note on the cover.  It looks like this blurb started on 176 from 1949, which is years before the seduction book and congressional hearings.  What was this earlier comics code, and why did famous funnies start promoting it?

Do you have a picture you can post?

which issue is it exactly ?

Edited by G.A.tor

5 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

It adheres to the ACMP comics code:

Association of Comics Magazine Publishers Publishers Code of 1948:

1. Crime should not be presented in such a way as to throw sympathy against law and justice or to inspire others with the desire for imitation. No comics shall show the details and methods of a crime committed by a youth. Police-men, judges, Government officials, and respected institutions should not be portrayed as stupid or ineffective, or represented in such a way as to weaken respect for established authority.
  2. No scenes of sadistic torture should be shown.
  3. Sexy, wanton comics, should not be published. No drawing should show a female indecently or unduly exposed and in no event more nude than in a bathing suit commonly worn in the United States.
  4. Vulgar and obscene language should never be used. Slang should be kept to a minimum and used only when essential to the story.
  5. Divorce should not be treated humorously nor represented as glamorous or alluring.
  6. Ridicule or attack on any religious or racial group is never permissible
Edited by G.A.tor

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

You may already know that the US army experimented with using camels in the southwestern US in the 1800s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Camel_Corps

My question is, are there any western comics that depict this use of camels in the US, either on the cover or in a story?

I recall an Arabian knight dell comic but can’t place it at moment 

boudreaux and thibodeaux were saints' season-ticket holders for many years.  several times a year, they would forget where they parked the car and search for hours until all or most of the crowd had departed before finding it.   one day thib says to boo "i t'ink i got da answer to our parking problem--i saw a camel rental place in vacherie, and i say we rent one, take it to the game, and when we come out we'll know right where we tied it off in front of the dome."  boo agreed.  on sunday they took the camel to n.o., tied it off to a rail right off poydras st., and enjoyed the game.  to their dismay, when they came out 12 camels were tied off and all looked alike--it turned out some other people had the same idea. thib didn't know what to do, but boo said "i got dis."  he began going down the line of camels, lifting up their tails, and examining their anatomy just below--thib said "what da hell are you doin', this is embarrassing---you can't tell which one is ours that way!!  boo said "of course i can; didn't you hear that fella as we rode up say 'look at the 2 a__holes on that camel!' "

Edited by Straw-Man

On 3/19/2020 at 6:04 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

You may already know that the US army experimented with using camels in the southwestern US in the 1800s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Camel_Corps

My question is, are there any western comics that depict this use of camels in the US, either on the cover or in a story?

123.jpg

123.jpg

123.jpg

Edited by waaaghboss

This may be a bit premature considering the track record of 2020, and its effect on cons.  Have you heard anything about Baltimore or NYCC?  I always look forward to seeing your stuff there.

I 100% if you know nothing and/or are not comfortable doing things like cons considering everything going on.